TOPIC: With 2.9 Released please tell me what's 'New'

With 2.9 Released please tell me what's 'New' 8 months 3 days ago #20758

Other than 64bit only and a authorization what exactly is 'new' with 2.9? Sounds improved...added...? Just trying to understand why I should pay to upgraded exactly.

Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: ILikeGuitars
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

With 2.9 Released please tell me what's 'New' 8 months 3 days ago #20761

In terms of sounds, there is nothing new on this version, other than some re-mastered Redwirez cabs (I think?).

The upgrade includes better GUI: easier and more intuitive presets managements, possibility of scaling up the graphics if you have a large screen(making it look bigger), etc.

And you will help to fund the development of version 3.0. In my honest opinion, what you get from S-Gear is an excellent value, and this upgrade is the equivalent of paying US$ 0.5 dollars a week or US$2.25 every month for a year, which I think it's quite reasonable and am happy to pay (just did).

I recently paid 3x that for a competitors software and ended up never using it because I thought S-Gear sounded better and offered way more, besides consuming much less computer power resources. It's up to you really...
The following user(s) said Thank You: kierank, Perry
  • asintoras
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

With 2.9 Released please tell me what's 'New' 8 months 3 days ago #20763

As you say its not that different so why do we have to pay for the update, I would have been much happier to wait for V3. Not sure it was worth the wait if I'm honest, I think it should have been included with a later version with more features. I was initially excited when it arrived but now I feel a bit disappointed, especially as we shall have to pay again to update to V3!
Well that's what I think anyway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: vicnest, frazzetoth, ILikeGuitars
Last edit: 8 months 3 days ago by Roobarb55.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

With 2.9 Released please tell me what's 'New' 8 months 3 days ago #20764

I don't think you're under any obligation to pay. The previous version will keep working, so if the upgrade is not worth it for you, you just use the previous one. I can understand the sentiment about "upgrades" that just update the copy protection scheme and don't actually add anything new (*cough* DiscoDSP *cough*), however i've been using S-Gear for more than 7 years now. $29 for an upgrade after 7 years of adding two new amps, best-in-class built-in FX and still-competitive sound*, i think that's more than fair!

* 7 years is an eternity in amp sim terms! the fact that 7-year old amps in S-Gear are still competitive with ampsims that were released just last year in terms of sheer authenticity is a testament to how much work has went into S-Gear.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

With 2.9 Released please tell me what's 'New' 8 months 2 days ago #20765

First I will say I am a big fan of Sgear and have been happily using it for years now.

I was excited to see the news of an update today, however it appears this is a housekeeping update and no actual end user benefits. Or am I wrong?

I could see upgrading with a new amp or some other useful feature. I see a mention of Redwire mastered cabinet update, but that's the only real change I see.

I know it's not a lot of money, but at least provide some sort of benefit for the player.
For me it shall be a pass at this time, I'll revisit my decision with V3.

By the way I signed up on the forum just because of this issue.

Continued success to Scuffham and all the folks working on Sgear.
Dirk
  • Dirk Diggler
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

With 2.9 Released please tell me what's 'New' 8 months 2 days ago #20766

To me personally Its pretty sad, brings only graphical and look updates. I waited 5 years literally for an update. God knows how much it will be till 6.

So I today feel nothing about this update for above explained reasons.
Anyway cause I had emotion atachment to this software I wrote this,otherwise I`ll not even writting this.
  • Studiostriver
  • Tone Master
None existing
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

With 2.9 Released please tell me what's 'New' 8 months 2 days ago #20771

It seems that many did not read the FAQ on this upgrade. This is exactly what was written!
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone King
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

With 2.9 Released please tell me what's 'New' 8 months 2 days ago #20776

It seems very few people have read the upgrade doc as it quite clearly says:-

"S-Gear v2.9 will include:
Support for HiDPI Displays
Scalable GUI
Improved Preset management system
Redwirez ‘Remastered’ Cabinet options
New license system allowing up to 3 machine activations
Added VST3 plug-in format on Windows
Please also note:
S-Gear v2.9 is now 64bit only
S-Gear v2.9 is comprehensive update of S-Gear code, built using the latest SDKs (Software Development Kits) for Operating Systems and Plug-in formats. The update will allow us to provide support and compatibility for operating systems going forward. It is an important next step in the on-going development of the S-Gear software."

If you were expecting new sounds, presets, magic fingers, etc, you shouldn't have paid the extremely low upgrade price of $29 to get this technical upgrade.
  • Terry6120
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

With 2.9 Released please tell me what's 'New' 8 months 2 days ago #20778

We did read it, that's not we are saying it's just that the updates on this version could have been offered 'free' to existing users, as its more of a technical update than anything 'new'. I am happy to pay as I use this software a lot as it is very good sounding but give us something to be excited about?
The following user(s) said Thank You: NightWalker, ILikeGuitars
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

With 2.9 Released please tell me what's 'New' 8 months 2 days ago #20779

OK, bought the update and installed it - now I'm greeted by a big black box of empty rack space in the lower half of the plugin - which is especially annoying if this makes the plugin window so big that it doesn't fit on a full HD laptop screen.

I go to the factory bank, load the first preset and - presto! - the bottom of the window gets cut off, because the window is too big for the screen. OK, I go looking for the scaling control - and it doesn't give you less than 100%. Now I need to minimize the ProConvolver to see the I/O panel in its full glory - a nuisance, especially since below the room thing there are two full rack units of - NOTHING!

Mike, what were you thinking???
Last edit: 8 months 2 days ago by ToH2002.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

With 2.9 Released please tell me what's 'New' 8 months 2 days ago #20780

OK, I''ve calmed down a bit, now that I found the "Min Rack Height" setting in the configuration options - turning that down to 3 definitely helps!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

With 2.9 Released please tell me what's 'New' 8 months 2 days ago #20790

DEL
Last edit: 7 months 3 weeks ago by Gabryl.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

With 2.9 Released please tell me what's 'New' 8 months 2 days ago #20801

For me this update should have been free.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ILikeGuitars
  • NightWalker
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

With 2.9 Released please tell me what's 'New' 8 months 2 days ago #20802

Burillo wrote:

so if the upgrade is not worth it for you, you just use the previous one

and i will get my money back?i mean if a pay for the upgrade.
  • NightWalker
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 8 months 2 days ago by NightWalker.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

With 2.9 Released please tell me what's 'New' 8 months 2 days ago #20804

asintoras wrote:

The upgrade includes better GUI: easier and more intuitive presets managements, possibility of scaling up the graphics if you have a large screen(making it look bigger), etc.

And you will help to fund the development of version 3.0. In my honest opinion, what you get from S-Gear is an excellent value, and this upgrade is the equivalent of paying US$ 0.5 dollars a week or US$2.25 every month for a year, which I think it's quite reasonable and am happy to pay (just did).

I recently paid 3x that for a competitors software and ended up never using it because I thought S-Gear sounded better and offered way more, besides consuming much less computer power resources. It's up to you really...

This is exactly my view as well. I have been using v2.x almost daily since 2012 and have spent (wasted) so much money on other products in that time that don't come close to the sound/feel of S-Gear. Even products being released now don't give me what I get from S-Gear tone-wise.

I really like the new preset management system, and because this thread is asking about what's new, the midi learn feature in the midi mapping panel is a very useful addition for me.
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

With 2.9 Released please tell me what's 'New' 8 months 2 days ago #20808

Let me express how I feel, if I may.

I hear some people raising points how 2.9 should have been free update to ALL existing users and I partly agree.
In saying that though, as a big fan, I would like see S Gear to evolve on in the years to come, as Mike steadily works hard for it, & nothing comes for free in today's world you see. Everything you do incur costs. I would not hesitate to pay for an update if it truly helps developing and bringing v.3.0 forward sooner.

I think users paying for v2.9 update should be given some credit for the subsequent (hopefully) a substantial update. Like a loyalty reward program.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Dissapointed with 2.9 8 months 2 days ago #20810

I knew there were no new amps etc in this release, but I did expect it to be more functional in standardization. My main gripe is that I thought the midi implementation would be completed and all parameters would be available inside a daw for automation. However the same issues still exists where things like delay, mod thing and reverb can have different parameter id from patch to patch. Also the next and previous patch commands are not even available.The standalone works fine but in a daw (Studio One) it does not. Hope this can be fixed soon.
  • Stephenson
  • Tone Seeker
Last edit: 8 months 2 days ago by Stephenson.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

With 2.9 Released please tell me what's 'New' 8 months 2 days ago #20812

mingury wrote:

nothing comes for free in today's world you see. Everything you do incur costs.

you wrong about this,Helix Native,Amplitube 4,Fractal,Kemper are free updates.
  • NightWalker
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Dissapointed with 2.9 8 months 2 days ago #20813

What daw are you using? If it is Cubase perhaps you can assign quick controls to your keyboard or controller?
  • Dallon426
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

With 2.9 Released please tell me what's 'New' 8 months 2 days ago #20814

NightWalker wrote:

mingury wrote:

nothing comes for free in today's world you see. Everything you do incur costs.

you wrong about this,Helix Native,Amplitube 4,Fractal,Kemper are free updates.

You read my post wrong. I was saying what Mike DOES to develop incur costs.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds