• Page:

TOPIC: S - Gear 2.9 "Retrocompatibility" with Windows 7

S - Gear 2.9 "Retrocompatibility" with Windows 7 2 weeks 5 hours ago #20590

LtKojak,

Not meaning to be disparaging in any way whatsoever, but is this not a rather BOLD statement to be making? Can you really-and-truly speak to each and every hardware-based platform out there? Would you even go to far as to provide a written guarantee to substantiate your claim?

Alan Richardson, the monitor engineer for Elton John, has been using a software-based mixing application , running on Windows XP Pro for over three years without one glitch. Alan also uses the sister application to record the entire nights show as well as Elton's myriads of MIDI data coming form his piano performances.
PS: You may read more here: Alan Richardson

Regardless, LtKojak, would you then tell everyone to return back to using Windows XP?
  • mr-es335
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S - Gear 2.9 "Retrocompatibility" with Windows 7 2 weeks 1 hour ago #20591

mr-es335 wrote:

Would you even go to far as to provide a written guarantee to substantiate your claim?
This is getting ridiculous. I gave my personal opinion, based on my personal experience of many years. To adopt it or not, it's your decision to make. I've already made mine and I couldn't be happier. So there!:P
mr-es335 wrote:

would you then tell everyone to return back to using Windows XP?
No, as they won't be able to properly run all their current 64-bit hardware and software.:P :P :P
Last edit: 2 weeks 1 hour ago by LtKojak.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S - Gear 2.9 "Retrocompatibility" with Windows 7 1 week 6 days ago #20592

Well, being on IT is not a badge that qualifies you for having the absolute truth, but particularly me, working as a Cyber Security professional, would not connect a windows 7 computer to the internet past the EOL date. I would not do it now, in any case, having a chance to upgrade. There is no such thing as "safe browsing", legit sites are compromised on a daily basis, apps downloaded to our handheld devices are too, connected to our Wifis, too much exposure in my opinion. Windows 10 is the most widely used OS by Security professionals for a reason. Last versions with WDAG are amazing, isolated browsing for free and Windows Sandbox, and many other features.

General performance is also way better on Windows 10, to me it was the turning point from Linux, I would have never believed I´d say that 10 years ago.

But of course is a matter of personal choice what you want to use, however from the purely Security perspective there is no discussion about the great advantages of Windows 10.
The following user(s) said Thank You: telepath
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S - Gear 2.9 "Retrocompatibility" with Windows 7 1 week 6 days ago #20595

mr-es335 wrote:

Alan Richardson, the monitor engineer for Elton John, has been using a software-based mixing application , running on Windows XP Pro for over three years without one glitch. Alan also uses the sister application to record the entire nights show as well as Elton's myriads of MIDI data coming form his piano performances.
PS: You may read more here: Alan Richardson

if Mr Richardson has older software / rig that works for him (and clearly it does) there is no harm on running it on XP, so long as the XP machine is a dedicated platform and kept offline / secure.

I'd be confident in wagering that 'most people' have, and want to have, the latest software releases.
The '2.9 release' thread on this very forum illustrates this rather well !
Regards dedicated 'offline' hosts for specific application's - I certainly would not argue against the merits of doing exactly that, but I also doubt that this is what 'most people' do, nor consider.
And besides, why choose an already deprecated OS in order to do that?

I realise this thread is moving slightly off topic from the OP, so I'm parking up here ;).
Last edit: 1 week 6 days ago by telepath.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.061 seconds