TOPIC: How to use VST pedals - help for a noob!

How to use VST pedals - help for a noob! 1 week 6 days ago #20507

Hi All

Long-time user of S-Gear for low volume headphone guitar practice in my office.

I have always used S-Gear 'as is' running the stand alone programme. I was reading a discussion on the forum about VST pedals and was interested in giving them a whirl. But I realised that I don't have the first clue how to set up S-Gear in this way.

It would be great if someone could point me towards a guide or give me some pointers to get me going.

I don't really want to be spending much extra money, I just want to try out a few of the pedals for a bit of fun.

Thanks!
  • GerryGiraffe
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

How to use VST pedals - help for a noob! 1 week 6 days ago #20509

Hi Gerry

www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm

I'm an old guy, new to learning guitar, so I didn't really want to have to learn and run a DAW. I can't remember if I heard about this on the Scuffham forum or somewhere else. Its a VST host by Hermann Seib and it works great. It allows me to try VST plugins (including S-Gear) and link them together in any conceivable fashion. It can be a little tough to make "connections" between plugins as the GUI elements are pretty small. Just click the end of one plugin window and "connect" it with the beginning of the next plugin window and you have a chain of plugins and unchaining them can be a pain...just play around with it. I want to try to run 2 instances of S-Gear to see if I can use 2 amp heads into one cab...that seems like it would give a neat tonal palette. Hope that helps.
  • kmrylander
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

How to use VST pedals - help for a noob! 1 week 5 days ago #20516

Thanks kmrylander

I will give that a go.
  • GerryGiraffe
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

How to use VST pedals - help for a noob! 1 week 3 days ago #20521

Another great free option is Cantabile Lite. It's built to let you play vst plugins live and also allows you to chain vst plugins in any way you want. Cantabile is actively developed and the developer (Brad) seems to be a great guy.

For some suggestions on free vst pedals to try check this list of freeware guitar stuff .

When it comes to setting up a signal chain for your guitar tones there's many ways to do that and experimenting is a good way to find the sound that you want. But a good starting point would be something like this:

Guitar>Gate>Compressor>Overdrive/Boost>Amp sim>Cab sim>Chorus/Flanger/Phaser>Delay>Reverb

When using S-Gear everything from Amp sim to reverb is built in to the S-Gear plugin, so if you use the built-in effects you only need to add pedals in front of S-Gear.
Last edit: 1 week 3 days ago by klinge.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds