TOPIC: Are all impulses so much louder?

Are all impulses so much louder? 2 weeks 17 hours ago #20354

Love S-gear for many years and was looking to shake things up a bit. I purchased some of the OwnHammer Orange cabinet impulses since that is what I used to use. I could not believe how much louder these impulses were compared to the ones in S-Gear. Don't get me wrong, they sound fantastic, but it worried me a little. Did I do something wrong on import, or is that just something that happens? Thanks.
  • Fireman200
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Are all impulses so much louder? 2 weeks 11 hours ago #20360

Yes, there are variations in volume between IRs and it can indeed be a significant difference. I find the OwnHammer IRs sound better than most that came with S-Gear and they are definitely louder.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Are all impulses so much louder? 2 weeks 6 hours ago #20362

Fireman200 wrote:

Love S-gear for many years and was looking to shake things up a bit. I purchased some of the OwnHammer Orange cabinet impulses since that is what I used to use. I could not believe how much louder these impulses were compared to the ones in S-Gear. Don't get me wrong, they sound fantastic, but it worried me a little. Did I do something wrong on import, or is that just something that happens? Thanks.

The relative levels of IR's can vary considerably. There is no standard normalization for IR's since they are complex frequency response filters. With the S-GEAR impulses I have chosen to scale them such that they do not boost the overall level. Also with S-GEAR there is a drop-off in level as you move the mic away from the speaker, which I felt was more natural when moving the mic around.

Mike
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Are all impulses so much louder? 1 week 6 days ago #20365

Thanks so much for answering the question with info from pixelyzed and Mike. Great to know I did not break anything. All good. Back to making music.
  • Fireman200
  • Tone Seeker
Last edit: 1 week 6 days ago by Fireman200.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Are all impulses so much louder? 1 week 6 days ago #20366

You are very welcome! Still experimenting with it all myself but S-Gear is the first amp sim I tried that actually feels and sounds right. It reacts like a real amp and IRs do make a great difference.

Just to clarify, earlier I didn't mean to say that the IRs and cab sims that come with S-Gear are not great, I just got closer to "my" tone using OwnHammer ones as well as Redwirez ones I purchased directly from them. I usually prefer modern speakers and, at least, 2x12s and mostly 4x12s over 1x12s. I play my real "Red Knobs" Twin through its own Eminence speakers as well as a Marshall 1960A 4x12 with G12T-75. I usually dislike V30s and am not a fan of greenbacks.

To compensate for the difference in volume between IRs, use the level faders in the Pro Convolver.

Speaking of which, I would love to know if there are any guidance somewhere on how to best use the Z setting in the Pro Convolver. It's really not obvious to me with the non-factory default IRs (OwnHammer and Redwirez in my case) to find the best sound or at least "neutral". Any tips on that Mike?
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Are all impulses so much louder? 6 days 21 hours ago #20397

pixelyzed wrote:

Speaking of which, I would love to know if there are any guidance somewhere on how to best use the Z setting in the Pro Convolver. It's really not obvious to me with the non-factory default IRs (OwnHammer and Redwirez in my case) to find the best sound or at least "neutral". Any tips on that Mike?

If you are using an imported impulse response, then the Z control is still very useful. It will apply a general Z curve and allow you to add a bit more life to the impulse response. It might not be necessary so it's really a case of using your ears to decide. You can remove the Z effect by zeroing the control.
The following user(s) said Thank You: pixelyzed
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Are all impulses so much louder? 5 days 23 hours ago #20402

Thank you very much Mike. Glad to know zeroinging it out is what makes it not affect the sound. I'll do some testing to see how it interacts with my IRs and the built-in cabs.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.062 seconds