TOPIC: MIDI, program change & user presets

MIDI, program change & user presets 2 weeks 1 day ago #20278

I just got a new Behringer FCB1010, so now I can control effects and switch presets with a MIDI foot-controller. Great fun! Now I'm trying to find out how to use MIDI program change (PC) messages to switch to the user presets.

I read the manual and it is well documented how to send PC messages to switch between the factory presets (and this works well). But I don't find any info on how to use PC messages to switch to my user presets. Does anyone know?
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MIDI, program change & user presets 2 weeks 1 day ago #20279

I have never tried the FCB1010, but with my Tech21 MIDI Mouse is plug and play, and then I can go up/down on presets using the switches, and I can jump presets quickly using the search (up or down) until I reach the preset and then I activate it.

Sorry for not being of much help, but that is my experience...
  • asintoras
  • asintoras's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Tone Master
  • Posts: 209
My instrumental EP: doctor7.bandcamp.com/album/political-rollercoaster
My other EP with songs: doctor7.bandcamp.com/album/three-ways-of-telling-a-story
I am an artist endorsed by Kinman pickups.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MIDI, program change & user presets 2 weeks 1 day ago #20280

Check the mode you are using. May be you are in Bank mode where the factory presets are assigned
  • fatherjacques
  • fatherjacques's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Tone Master
  • Posts: 472
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MIDI, program change & user presets 2 weeks 18 hours ago #20281

klinge wrote:

I just got a new Behringer FCB1010, so now I can control effects and switch presets with a MIDI foot-controller. Great fun! Now I'm trying to find out how to use MIDI program change (PC) messages to switch to the user presets.

I read the manual and it is well documented how to send PC messages to switch between the factory presets (and this works well). But I don't find any info on how to use PC messages to switch to my user presets. Does anyone know?
You need to read the S-Gear manual. It's all very-well explained.

If you wanna get the max out of the FCB-1010, then get the Eureka Prom and replace the stock one. Then you'll be able to use it with almost any other software or hardware device.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MIDI, program change & user presets 2 weeks 11 hours ago #20283

Thanks for the replies.

I might be slow - but I read the manual before my first post and I have re-read it now. The manual explains the difference between "preset" and "bank" modes. I'm in "preset" mode. The manual explains that there are "factory slots " (F00-F00) and "user slots" (000-199) and the mapping of MIDI PC messages to preset slots. I find that when sending a PC message 00 I get slot F00, MIDI PC 01 gets slot F01 and so on.

I still don't get what MIDI PC to send to access for example user slot 001.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MIDI, program change & user presets 2 weeks 9 hours ago #20284

klinge wrote:

Thanks for the replies.

I might be slow - but I read the manual before my first post and I have re-read it now. The manual explains the difference between "preset" and "bank" modes. I'm in "preset" mode. The manual explains that there are "factory slots " (F00-F00) and "user slots" (000-199) and the mapping of MIDI PC messages to preset slots. I find that when sending a PC message 00 I get slot F00, MIDI PC 01 gets slot F01 and so on.

I still don't get what MIDI PC to send to access for example user slot 001.

Hi klinge,

Try setting the mapping mode to 'none'. Then you should get straight MIDI PC, i.e. 000 = user preset 000.

Both the 'preset' and 'bank' modes will map to whatever assignments you have set up in the banks.

-Mike
  • mike
  • mike's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1835
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MIDI, program change & user presets 1 week 1 day ago #20302

Thanks for the reply Mike. Setting mapping mode to "none" works. After doing that the MIDI CC message sent corresponds to the user preset numbers, just like you said it would!

I still find no way to select factory presets in this mode. But this is not a major issue - I can just copy the factory preset I want over to the user presets.

In an upcoming version maybe the implementation of midi program change could be improved. The current way with "bank", "preset" and "none" modes is not really intuitive. At least to me :)
Last edit: 1 week 1 day ago by klinge.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MIDI, program change & user presets 1 week 1 day ago #20303

klinge wrote:

In an upcoming version maybe the implementation of midi program change could be improved. The current way with "bank", "preset" and "none" modes is not really intuitive. At least to me :)

Agreed. In v2.9 these mapping modes are no longer. In 2.7 the banks were used to map midi messages to presets. In v2.9 each bank is a completely independent set of presets and you can create as many banks as you need. It's a lot more intuitive. More details soon...

Mike
The following user(s) said Thank You: fatherjacques, klinge
  • mike
  • mike's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1835
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum