TOPIC: Time Based FX Pedals w. S Gear

Time Based FX Pedals w. S Gear 1 month 2 weeks ago #20132

Does anyone have any experience using delay & reverb pedals with S Gear. Running time based fx into the audio interface's preamp should have a similar effect as running a delay in front of an overdrive instead of after, although I haven't had a chance to test this. Is there a method to do this?

(There will be latency sending audio into the computer, out to FX and then back in. I am just curious if this is possible.)

Hardware modelers seem to be able to fo this with ease if they are equiped with an FX loop.
Last edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by mkruse.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Time Based FX Pedals w. S Gear 1 month 2 weeks ago #20134

mkruse wrote:

Does anyone have any experience using delay & reverb pedals with S Gear. Running time based fx into the audio interface's preamp should have a similar effect as running a delay in front of an overdrive instead of after, although I haven't had a chance to test this. Is there a method to do this?

(There will be latency sending audio into the computer, out to FX and then back in. I am just curious if this is possible.)

Hardware modelers seem to be able to fo this with ease if they are equiped with an FX loop.

For time based additive effects like reverb and delay you can route a post-amp send from your computer and use the external devices with mix fully wet. That way you will avoid adding additional latency (or conversion stages) to your direct sound. Adding 10-20 msec to reverb or delay effects won't be a problem in most cases.

Hardware modelling devices with FX loops have the same challenge. The FX loop necessitates an additional stage of Digital-to-Analogue -> Analogue-to-Digital conversion, and this may also require sample rate conversion that will add additional latency. However, usually the dedicated hardware will achieve lower latency routing compared to a USB or Thunderbolt routing that involves additional complexity.
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Time Based FX Pedals w. S Gear 1 month 2 weeks ago #20141

mike wrote:

mkruse wrote:

For time based additive effects like reverb and delay you can route a post-amp send from your computer and use the external devices with mix fully wet. That way you will avoid adding additional latency (or conversion stages) to your direct sound. Adding 10-20 msec to reverb or delay effects won't be a problem in most cases.

Hardware modelling devices with FX loops have the same challenge. The FX loop necessitates an additional stage of Digital-to-Analogue -> Analogue-to-Digital conversion, and this may also require sample rate conversion that will add additional latency. However, usually the dedicated hardware will achieve lower latency routing compared to a USB or Thunderbolt routing that involves additional complexity.

What would the signal flow look like? A DI for the guitar and a second DI for the pedal into an external instrument track? How is the pedal routed into my interface? Would it require a mixer?
The following user(s) said Thank You: soundog
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Time Based FX Pedals w. S Gear 1 month 2 weeks ago #20142

It depends on your audio interface. Most have ins and outs. You'll need to read the manual, but basically you would route:

DAW/Scuffham output ---> interface --> interface output --> fx pedal --> interface ----> output to DAW

You may need a separate transformer box to match impedence, but probably not .....that depends on your audio interface.

An example video:

I've been using Helix Native for years. Then I tried S-Gear. I like S-Gear better!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Time Based FX Pedals w. S Gear 1 month 2 weeks ago #20147

That's great, thanks!
Just to double check. If I wanted to do this live, I would need an interface with two DI's (guitar in and FX pedal out - into DI) and more than two outputs (stereo monitors & out to FX pedal in).
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Time Based FX Pedals w. S Gear 1 month 2 weeks ago #20159

A lot depends on if you want stereo or not.

You could do it with a single audio stereo interface if you use the L and R (Ch1 and Ch 2) in mono. Sort of like

guitar —> DI in(ch1) —> Scuffham —> DI out (ch1)—> pedals —> DI in (ch2)

Also, if you are running into a mixer and then into powered speakers, you could potentially run stereo from your computer outputs (separate from you audio interface outputs). On a Mac, for example, you can set up aggregate devices for multiple ins and outs.

Draw things out on paper (ins and outs) and then experiment.
I've been using Helix Native for years. Then I tried S-Gear. I like S-Gear better!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Time Based FX Pedals w. S Gear 1 month 1 week ago #20166

h
Thanks, had to ask as my interface doesn't have the required outputs and inputs (yet...).
Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by mkruse.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.306 seconds