TOPIC: Low Latency Monitoring Method Using S-Gear Standalone with DAW

Low Latency Monitoring Method Using S-Gear Standalone with DAW 1 month 2 weeks ago #20128

I'm using S-Gear with Logic Pro on a Mac. Some of my projects have a lot of tracks, some with virtual instruments. So, I have to set my buffers high to avoid audio issues or "crackling." High buffer rates result in high latency (>10 ms) when recording new tracks while monitoring through the DAW. (This is not S-Gear's fault; its the same with any complex plug-in, especially guitar modeling or virtual instruments.)

So ....monitoring new guitar tracks through S-Gear when recording new guitar tracks can be challenging with really complex projects (or slower systems) due to the perceptible delay between "playing" and "hearing." Its a problem we've all faced. How to play and record guitar in real-time with S-Gear modeling tone without taxing the DAW and introducing latency/delay?

Core Audio (an audio portion of the Mac OS) allows applications to set their buffer rate independently. So, when recording new guitar tracks in a Logic project, I now monitor my guitar playing through the S-Gear standalone app, while monitoring my existing Logic project. Essentially, I'm running S-Gear standalone with a very low buffer setting (low latency) and Logic Pro with a very high buffer setting at the same time. This way, I can record the raw guitar tracks into Logic and then apply the S-Gear modeling via the plug-in after the track(s) are being mixed.

I'm not sure if this method will work on Windows, because I don't know if you can set buffer rates independently on different apps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mingury, SergioAureo
I've been using Helix Native for years. Then I tried S-Gear. I like S-Gear better!
Last edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by soundog.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Low Latency Monitoring Method Using S-Gear Standalone with DAW 3 weeks 2 days ago #20235

My band uses Logic Pro on a 2015 MacBook Pro for rehearsal with the whole band. We use MIDI drums, but only for the MIDI messages, the drums are actually Logic drums. We have two guitars, using S-Gear and Helix Native (for effects), Cerberus bass amp, five vocal mics and various software instruments for two keyboards. Latency has never been a problem and we don't get clicks and pops either. This has worked extremely well and allows us to rehearse at a time and place that would be otherwise impossible.

See jimamsden.wordpress.com/2017/12/28/using...-for-band-rehearsal/ for details if you're interested.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fatherjacques, SergioAureo
Last edit: 3 weeks 2 days ago by jamsden.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Low Latency Monitoring Method Using S-Gear Standalone with DAW 3 weeks 2 days ago #20236

Excellent article, and its quite amazing how much you can pull out of a laptop! BTW, Cerebrus is one of my fave bass amp sims. I hope S-Gear adds a bass amp at some point — I think they would do a great job.
I've been using Helix Native for years. Then I tried S-Gear. I like S-Gear better!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Low Latency Monitoring Method Using S-Gear Standalone with DAW 3 weeks 1 day ago #20237

soundog wrote:

I'm using S-Gear with Logic Pro on a Mac. Some of my projects have a lot of tracks, some with virtual instruments. So, I have to set my buffers high to avoid audio issues or "crackling." High buffer rates result in high latency (>10 ms) when recording new tracks while monitoring through the DAW. (This is not S-Gear's fault; its the same with any complex plug-in, especially guitar modeling or virtual instruments.)

So ....monitoring new guitar tracks through S-Gear when recording new guitar tracks can be challenging with really complex projects (or slower systems) due to the perceptible delay between "playing" and "hearing." Its a problem we've all faced. How to play and record guitar in real-time with S-Gear modeling tone without taxing the DAW and introducing latency/delay?

Core Audio (an audio portion of the Mac OS) allows applications to set their buffer rate independently. So, when recording new guitar tracks in a Logic project, I now monitor my guitar playing through the S-Gear standalone app, while monitoring my existing Logic project. Essentially, I'm running S-Gear standalone with a very low buffer setting (low latency) and Logic Pro with a very high buffer setting at the same time. This way, I can record the raw guitar tracks into Logic and then apply the S-Gear modeling via the plug-in after the track(s) are being mixed.

I'm not sure if this method will work on Windows, because I don't know if you can set buffer rates independently on different apps.

Great approach.

Alternatively, you can always freeze tracks. That way you can use low buffer settings and low latency moniitoring using S-Gear as a plugin in Logic. That's the way I usually do it.
  • SergioAureo
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds