TOPIC: Noise on sustained chords

Noise on sustained chords 2 months 1 day ago #20073

How do you manage the amp hiss produced as a sustained chord dies in volume?

Single coils into Scarlett Solo. Gain at 9 o' clock. Peak at -10 dbfs. VU Meter not clipping in the red. Input & output meters in the green.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Noise on sustained chords 2 months 1 day ago #20074

That was exactly my question on another thread, which is particularly noticeable with overdriven amps and single coils. I didn't remember that level of white noise when I had my JTM45, although it was indeed noisy.
I honestly think it makes it unfeasible in some situations, particularly live (and probable THE reason I have not used it in a live situation), when you want that chord to ring or with some expressive and dynamic phrasings.

However, for straight out hard rock with notes that do not last long (fast pace rock) it works fine.

I would love to use some of S-Gear amps live as I love how they sound, but this issue prevents me of doing it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mkruse
  • asintoras
  • Tone Master
My instrumental EP: doctor7.bandcamp.com/album/political-rollercoaster
My other EP with songs: doctor7.bandcamp.com/album/three-ways-of-telling-a-story
I am an artist endorsed by Kinman pickups.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Noise on sustained chords 2 months 1 day ago #20075

Single coils are notoriously noisy, and regular amp speakers roll off highs around 7-8Kh.

S-Gear is a full fidelity-ish plug in , so the tweaks section becomes your best friend in these situations, the sag control can be adjusted to reduce some of the amp “compression” which may be holding the higher end longer than desired. Also the presence controls can be set to roll off the high frequencies to taste.

Gain staging, especially in the input side can also make a difference. Finally with my tele I roll back the volume just a tit to cut some highs going into the amp, assuming you don’t have a treble bleed circuit in your axe.

I hope this helps. Your mileage may vary. See dealer for details. Void where prohibited. Additional fees may apply. Not for resale. Do not fold, staple or mutilate. Just add water.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Noise on sustained chords 2 months 1 day ago #20077

mkruse wrote:

How do you manage the amp hiss produced as a sustained chord dies in volume?
This... pvamps.blogspot.com/2015/05/pvnonoise.html

Just place it first in your signal chain(before S-Gear, OD's or whatever)

Bam - Noise Gone - Play and enjoy

Note - 32bit PC only - works fine in my 64bit setup
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.063 seconds