TOPIC: Line 6 Helix HX Stomp

Line 6 Helix HX Stomp 2 months 3 weeks ago #19986

Does anybody has experiences using a Helix Stomp as an interface and using the onboard-effects in combination with S-Gear? Would be great to use a Midicontroller to switch S-Gear-patches together with Helix effects like compressor or booster etc. I actually use a Boss GT1 as an interface and this works great. Unfortunately the GT-1 has no Midi (and looks a bit old-fashioned)
Rock 'on

Roland/Germany
  • RolandGuitar
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Line 6 Helix HX Stomp 2 months 3 weeks ago #19996

I routinely use Helix Floor, HX Stomp and/or Helix Native in front of S-Gear, and use S-Gear mod, delay and reverb thing after the S-Gear amp models. This is a good combination, but a bit complicated to program in your DAW/Performance software.

The key to good guitar tone is in the gain staging and distortion voicing. You can use Helix distortion blocks in front of clean S-Gear amps and that works great. You can also do distortion block stacking between Helix distortion blocks and S-Gear drive, amp drive and channel settings. This works great.

But I think 1) the distortion algorithms in S-Gear are different than those in Helix and 2) there’s not enough flexibility in S-Gear distortion voicing - we need Drive Thing with voicing control into and out of distortion.

I have had no problem getting great tones out of Helix and S-Gear. But you have to be willing to do some work.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Line 6 Helix HX Stomp 2 months 3 weeks ago #19997

Regarding Helix and S-Gear amp models - my ears aren’t that great anymore, so take this with a grain of salt. I can get tones from Helix amps that are different but comparable to S-Gear in quality. Whether one is better than the other is purely a matter fo subjective opinion - as it should be.

However, the experience I had between HD500 and Helix is similar to the experience I have with Helix and S-Gear. Yes you can get great tones out of Helix. But I find myself trying to replicate S-Gear tones in Helix instead of the other way around. And every amp model in S-Gear is a pleasure to play, their differences are to be celebrated. But I find I spend more time with Helix finding something that’s just right than I would have with S-Gear.

That said, I use Helix at every gig and every rehearsal, and love it. I own Helix floor, HX Effects, HX Stomp, and a highly modified JTV-69S is my main gigging guitar. I still tend to S-Gear for any recording.

What I really want is S-Gear in Helix. I want that sound in that hardware platform. Mike - make it happen!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ryentzer
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Line 6 Helix HX Stomp 2 months 3 weeks ago #20002

Dear Jamsden, you are absolutely right. S-Gear is is my absolutely perfect guitar software. I use S-gear at home, for rehearsal and live. I used all kinds of tube amps, several kempers and a helix lt in the past and I must admit that my actual guitar sound (in combination with the boss gt 1 as an interface and using compression and boost) is the best since years. S-gear creates a very realistice "tubeamp-like sound comfort-zone". And I never got such positive comments refering my guitar sounds from band members in the last decades.
Nevertheless we are all trying to find some small optimizations, some new sounds with new equipment .
So it is nice to hear that you got good result with the stomp and I think I will check this pedal to use it as an interface, using several pedals and the midi-function to control S-Gear.
I will keep you informed about my impressions if there is any interest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ryentzer
  • RolandGuitar
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Line 6 Helix HX Stomp 2 months 3 weeks ago #20003

Note, if you want to use Helix in front of S-Gear, you might consider Helix LT instead of Stomp. The main reason is that HX Stomp only receives, it doesn't send MIDI. Helix LT can do both and would be a great solution for front of the amp effects into S-Gear and as a full MIDI controller.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fatherjacques
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Line 6 Helix HX Stomp 2 months 2 weeks ago #20006

That's a great and helpful advice! Thank you
  • RolandGuitar
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Line 6 Helix HX Stomp 2 months 2 weeks ago #20012

Edit:

After lurking the forum i feel my response to this topic is more adequate in another topic in the forum.
Last edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by sun7.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds