TOPIC: 3rd Party Partnerships & UAD

3rd Party Partnerships & UAD 4 months 3 weeks ago #19976

Mike, I know how busy you must be getting new version going and such. I just wanted to say that if you ever had any sort of inclination to partner with UAD for use in their Unison and Console functionality that I would be all over that. Yes, that means spending even more money than the price I already paid for the native version of S-Gear. I have not done that with any other plug and swore I would not. I would instantly if S-Gear appeared, though.

I know there was a version in Slate at one point, but i never got into that platform. No reason other than I don't need to. Nothing against them....
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike
  • PatriotsBiker
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

3rd Party Partnerships & UAD 4 months 3 weeks ago #19977

Looks like you beat me to it. Seems that UAD would like to work with Mike

uadforum.com/general-discussion/43722-ua...gear.html#post301013
  • Dallon426
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

3rd Party Partnerships & UAD 4 months 3 weeks ago #19984

I used to own a UAD interface and then a UAD Satelite.

I can tell you S Gear do not have anything to envy to UAD. Some UAD stuff are good some others not so good.

Most good interface will give you direct monitoring and UAD Unison technology is in fact coded software related to a particular plug-ins.

If you buy a version of a well known developer from UAD the product will be as good as if you would buy the same software from the same developer outside the UAD platform as long as you use the same hardware or a hardware or equivalent quality.

I am not saying UAD products are not good. If this was the case they would not be in business. It is simply an other way of offering softwares. It is a business model.

If you need an approved Suhr PT100 or a Suhr SE100 or Marshall approved software you are paying some extra money for that. It is normal since UAD are paying a royalty to get the name.

I do not see why Mike would need UAD. Two different business models for me.

Like I always said there are a lot of good softwares you can buy. All the good ones have their signature sounds and business model.

We are very lucky these days. 25 years go you would have paid a fortune just to get an approximation of a good amp.

Yes I am that old LOL!
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 4 months 3 weeks ago by fatherjacques.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

3rd Party Partnerships & UAD 4 months 2 weeks ago #20014

S-Gear needing UAD? Nope. of course not.

it's not a matter of changing an existing business model. It's a matter of adding revenue stream. His involvement with Slate was a revenue stream. That did, in turn, modify his business model. It probably enhanced his current revenue stream at the same time. No doubt that many people were turned on to S-gear through the Slate platform, not to mention various degrees down the line as word spreads.

Need? I never said he needed UAD to begin with. I'm the one who needs(wants) it. That said, who doesn't need more revenue? I have no idea what the wrapper functionality entails to enable software on any specific plugins and will never trivialize. If it is trivial or at least minimal, he would be on a popular platform with others that could not hold a candle to S-Gear. Top dog on a popular platform is not without value and benefits. Get some of the big dogs of the mixing world touting the wonders of UAD (eg - Pure mix, etc) and it's instant household name as far as names go in the DAW mixing world. Need a better term for household.

Alas, I am betting this would be so much more than "simple" wrapper functionality and I/O signal conversion.

One other note. I, too, had UAD before my current one. I wasn't very impressed. Then the X-Series came out in the mist of an interface market being in flux making choices very limited. The X-Series blows the doors off my old Apollo Twin. Just the power conversion alone, which was a big deal. The Unison slot on the incoming signal became worth the price of admission for me due to noisy home wiring. I hold the X series up with the same high esteem as i do S-Gear, Gibson Acoustics and Klondike bars.
  • PatriotsBiker
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

3rd Party Partnerships & UAD 4 months 2 weeks ago #20015

You have some very interesting points.

To be honest I will let Mike decide what he wants to do.

I own a small business myself and these type of decisions are not easy to take.

The only thing I do not understand is why would you need S Gear integrated with UAD?

Don't take me wrong may be I miss something. You are right about the Slate everything deal. However this deal is over and there must be a good reason.

Also I think UAD is already offering too many amps from too many developers. However if doing business with UAD does not stop Mike to do any other things. Why not?

From my part , it is a personal decision, I decided to stay with softwares that do not require a UAD interface but I respect people that do it.

:rock out: :rock out:
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

3rd Party Partnerships & UAD 4 months 2 weeks ago #20022

I just do not know how they would want to issue it. Because they have chosen to release single amps. They do not have an all in one amp as S-gear is. So for that reason alone.... I do not know. It is a bit of a head scratcher. What I can see is Mike designing a spin on the current amps available as individual amps specifically for UAD. Which would be a great way to introduce his amps to the UAD world.
  • Dallon426
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

3rd Party Partnerships & UAD 4 months 2 weeks ago #20028

I have no idea how many developers they offer amps from. i know of two, Softube and Brainworx. The Softube Fender is quite different from the one we get as Dallon426 pointed out in a thread far, far away. Both have their merits for sure.

fatherjaques, I don't need S-Gear in UAD, but would love to have it there. The simplest reason is for ease of use as a session gets bigger and a guitar passage needs to be done as an after-thought. Almost no latency by having it in the Unison slot or in the Console before it gets to my DAW.

There may be additional reasons involving tonal quality in the Unison slot to begin with, but I can only go one marketing fluff and kool-aid. Not even sure how I could A/B such a thing and still keep all the other factors like AD conversion the same. I use S-Gear inside my DAW instead of using my available options in the Unison slot. S-Gear to me is that much better. If the Unison slot is that much better, than who knows how good S-Gear could be in there.

I'm sure Mike knows that by making the suggestion I made, I did not imply that I would think less of him or S-Gear if it was not in his best interests to put it there. I'm very well aware how the business world works, and know enough to know that users who think anything is simply done and belittle the required effort as being trivial should have their private parts smashed. I'm not kidding.

btw, hats off to you small business operators. You get to choose the 80 hours you work each week.
  • PatriotsBiker
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

3rd Party Partnerships & UAD 4 months 2 weeks ago #20030

Forum like this are good to exchange point of vue and to talk about our needs and thoughts. It is going so fast nowdays that we can be right one day to realize that 3 weeks later we are not. The Challenge for Mike is to do today what will be right tomorrow.
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds