TOPIC: Pedals with s-gear?

Pedals with s-gear? 7 months 1 week ago #20076

solaris76 wrote:

If you're looking to stay digital, I've just purchased Audified Multidrive pedal pro plugin, who i'd never heard of until earlier today.

I'd also never heard of them. I just tried the demo and wasn't expecting to enjoy them as much as I did! Very usable tones. Also really nice to see a Blues Driver emulation. Thanks for the heads up.
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Pedals with s-gear? 7 months 6 days ago #20094

I never use physical pedals with my DAW. Partly because of gain staging and partly because if I decide I want to change my sound, having a recording of a guitar part through stompbox limits my options.

The other day I was using Le Pou's emulation of the Wampler Cranked AC pedal in front of one of the cleaner Stealer patches. It's 32 bit only, which may be a problem depending on your DAW, but it sounds great.
  • Magic Russ
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Pedals with s-gear? 7 months 6 days ago #20095

I take snapshots of my pedalboard any time I record with them and save that image in the session folder. It's a common practice, something assistants did daily when analog gear was all you had. Don't let these things limit your process.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Pedals with s-gear? 7 months 6 days ago #20096

Another thing I tried was NI's mod pack behind S-Gear. Phasis and Flair have good phaser and flanger sounds, respectively, but the Dimension mode of Choral was really a standout.
  • Magic Russ
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Pedals with s-gear? 7 months 5 days ago #20108

Magic Russ wrote:

Another thing I tried was NI's mod pack behind S-Gear. Phasis and Flair have good phaser and flanger sounds, respectively, but the Dimension mode of Choral was really a standout.

Yes the NI mod pack is very nice with guitar.

But man when I got Valhalla Delay.. it sounds so good on guitar and there's so many different kinds of delays. The dark bucket brigade, ahh.. And the tape delay in dual and ping-pong mode.. Amazing.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Pedals with s-gear? 7 months 5 days ago #20110

solaris76 wrote:

If you're looking to stay digital, I've just purchased Audified Multidrive pedal pro plugin, who i'd never heard of until earlier today. Trialled them for <30mins and went straight and bought them! Been playing and recording for 30 years, and never managed to get a sound like I have today.

In front of S-Gear, they sound awesome. They add something too even when the pedal is turned off. Coupled with Valhalla reverbs and delay I think I've found my prefect digital amp setup (and all pretty cheap too)

(BTW I don't work for these guys, nor have any ties to them, but i'm as blown away with these plugins as I was with S-Gear ;)

Cool, thanks for the information, will try these out as soon as I can.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Pedals with s-gear? 6 months 4 weeks ago #20125

ff
Last edit: 6 months 3 weeks ago by larserik.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Pedals with s-gear? 6 months 1 week ago #20212

Update: Now my small s-gear pedalboard is complete.

Mxr Studio Compressor
Boss BD2w
Boss SD1w
Mxr Distortion +
MXR M299 Mini Analog Delay

:feeling it:
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Pedals with s-gear? 6 months 1 week ago #20213

Speaking of Analogman's King of Tone pedal (in front of S-Gear), the new Helix Native update includes a very effective emulation of the King of Tone, and it sounds great in front of S-Gear.
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." - Jack Handey
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Pedals with s-gear? 5 months 3 weeks ago #20260

Is anyone using (or tried) Mercuriall SS-11X before S-Gear?

Although it's marketed as an all-in-one plugin (with cab and reverb IRs), it is a tube pre-amp. I really like what it does as a pedal before S-Gear - lots of tone-stack options and multiple channels (clean/drive with crunch/lead). And you get some Mercurial OD/Tubescreamer pedals you can add to the input. The in-built tuner is pretty decent too. The demo was pretty annoying with the frequent silence, but maybe it worked, as I bought it ;)
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 5 months 3 weeks ago by kierank.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Pedals with s-gear? 5 months 3 weeks ago #20261

I just use SS-11X with the power amp in (Mercuriall) ReAxis - it works great.
(ReAxis lets you disable the preamp and cab.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: kierank
  • jbraner
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Pedals with s-gear? 3 months 4 weeks ago #20436

OK - here's a new one.
I just picked up a (real, not plugin) Fulltone OCD pedal. I got the Custom Shop OCD-Ge one, with the germanium diodes.

It sounds *great* in front of clean S-Gear amps - and you can dial it from clean to very overdriven.

I think I'm gonna record everything like this for a while - just using the OCD to dial in distortion/overdrive.
  • jbraner
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Pedals with s-gear? 3 months 2 weeks ago #20519

I use Xotic Ep Booster and Clyde Fulltone Deluxe Wah in front of S Gear and it sound great!
Last edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by Af23.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Pedals with s-gear? 2 months 1 week ago #20633

but how do you use a reverb or delay pedal for S-Gear? the signal from the DI will be wet when going through SGear
  • dawbakhos
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Pedals with s-gear? 2 months 1 week ago #20635

I would leave reverb, delays, modulation etc (chorus, flanger) in software. (plugins in your DAW)
for pedals, I'd stick to OD, dist, Fuzz, booster etc.

I've added a bunch more pedals to my chain and am loving it. I've been waiting until I really get used to them - before reporting back here.
  • jbraner
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 2 months 1 week ago by jbraner.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Pedals with s-gear? 2 months 1 week ago #20638

The only pedals I'd use in front of an amp or amp modeler is a Compressor and/or an OD.

All the rest is to be put AFTER, preferably in software form.

In my studio rig, I use both compressors and ODs present in the FREE version of Amplitube 4, injected in the 1st gain stage of S-Gear.

Live I use just the FREE Amplitube version, in standalone mode. It's NOT S-Gear, but it works for me.
Last edit: 2 months 1 week ago by LtKojak.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Pedals with s-gear? 2 months 1 week ago #20642

People do all sorts of things with pedal placement. Gilmour, for example, put his flanger and phaser (but never chorus afaik) in front of distortion/overdrive. I do that now as well and it’s quite different from the other way.

And he also placed his rotary speakers - which are essentially a chorus-like effect, really - in parallel to his famed Alembic-Hiwatt-WEM signal path. Neither before or after the ‘amp’.

Having no rules is part of being a musician in my opinion. And it’s fun and exciting to try things out.

EDIT: after Jamsden’s comment I went back to find out why I thought Gilmour put his flanger before distortion - and I can’t find any reference to that anywhere (I could have sworn it was somewhere on gilmourish.com or the gilmourish YouTube channel). So either I imagined it or I got muddled with EVH who does put flanger before distortion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ryentzer
Last edit: 2 months 1 day ago by qryss.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Pedals with s-gear? 2 months 1 week ago #20644

And it’s fun and exciting to try things out.
It sure is! ;)
  • jbraner
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 2 months 1 week ago by jbraner.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Pedals with s-gear? 2 months 1 week ago #20648

qryss wrote:

People do all sorts of things with pedal placement. Gilmour, for example, put his flanger and phaser (but never chorus afaik) in front of distortion/overdrive. I do that now as well and it’s quite different from the other way.

And he also placed his rotary speakers - which are essentially a chorus-like effect, really - in parallel to his famed Alembic-Hiwatt-WEM signal path. Neither before or after the ‘amp’.

Having no rules is part of being a musician in my opinion. And it’s fun and exciting to try things out.
Actually what Gilmour did follows (or created) some pretty common recommendations for effect placement: put tone shaping effects (Wah, phasor, flanger, UniVibe, envelope filters, etc.) before distortion and put frequency shaping effects (chorus, Leslie, flanger - depending on the settings and ambient (delay, reverb) after distortion. The reason for these recommendations results primarily from controlling mud/fizz when distortion is in the signal path that kills the tone in the mix.

S-Gear has a lot of the post-amp effects covered. When Mike gets to the pre-amp effects, we'll all be celebrating.

Note that its not that S-Gear amps don't have enough gain for good distortion tones - they generally do. What they don't provide yet is enough tone shaping and gain staging choice for modern electric guitar. Check out someone like Jeff McErlain or Chris Buck. They're using multiple drive, overdrive, distortion and fuzz pedals in combination to gain stage their tone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ryentzer
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Pedals with s-gear? 2 months 1 week ago #20650

(multiple drive....)
We can do that with real pedals ;)

I've been getting in to using real pedals with S-Gear and am building up a collection (Damn, this is worse than plugins - for GAS).
I'll write up a report here when I've been using them for a litle while - and hopefully provoke more discussion ;)
  • jbraner
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds