TOPIC: What's your best method for normalizing levels across all presets, for Live use?

What's your best method for normalizing levels across all presets, for Live use? 5 months 2 weeks ago #19809

For the past few years I've been adjusting final levels using a good meter in my home studio and then tweaking it through trial and error when playing with the whole band (recording practice sessions). We often don't use a soundguy so when i get them right it's great and everything sits perfectly in the mix. But it's a painstaking process. When I do have a presets that are at the right level I try to use them as much as possible, and for new tones I use them as a reference, and that helps, but several songs still require tweaking. I'm wondering if a brickwall limiter at the end of the chain would help, or if there's some other method that's easier? Only problem with the limiter approach is that it doesn't really help much for softer passages, but maybe it will help for the majority of tones? I think it also might add some latency?
thanks!
Tom
  • gearhead001
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 5 months 2 weeks ago by gearhead001.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What's your best method for normalizing levels across all presets, for Live use? 5 months 1 week ago #19810

It's the conundrum that's plagued modern musician's since presets first became a thing. First, brickwall limiters will generally add more latency than is useful live. A compromise would be to run a sweet/subtle overdrive plugin that does some natural limiting without obvious distortion. A really nice free one is the Klanghelm 'IVGI2'. It only runs at 4x oversampling, but that's fine for live sound. It sounds really nice regardless, doesn't add latency, and the simple interface is just brilliant. The "Asym Mix" feature allows for a cleaner/more-articulate attack and the "Response" knob works wonders on the high freq character. The "Relaxed" mode option sounds sweeter, but may not cut through as well in a live band situation. It should also help limit peaks when running modulation FX post amp sim.

As far as preset matching, it might better to just set up like 4 different amp presets and maybe an acoustic guitar preset in a live VST host (like 'Cantabile') to use in all songs, and run VST pedal plugins b4 them for variation. That should keep levels more balanced. There are plenty of free pedal plugins that sound good live. Check this thread for some tips: www.scuffhamamps.com/forum/6-general-dis...als-any-good?start=0
  • GCKelloch
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What's your best method for normalizing levels across all presets, for Live use? 5 months 6 days ago #19831

Good idea, I've been meaning to try the IVGI2, I'll give that a shot. I do use Cantabile and have tried to limit my presets to a handful... but I'm so obsessive about tone and having my rythym parts sit nicely in the mix that I usually end up with 15 or 20! Sometimes i miss the old days when our options were very limited B)

I may try a little compression at the end of the chain; I've only used it before in front of S Gear... and even then with uninspiring results. I think Boss used to make a great little compression pedal, can't remember the model... but i've yet to have similar results from a compression plug. Then again, i've been using mostly free compressors. Anyway, thanks for the reply!
  • gearhead001
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds