TOPIC: Impulse Response Volume Leveling

Impulse Response Volume Leveling 8 months 1 week ago #19627

I did not find anything about it in the forum. Lately I have used Redwirez's MixIR2 plugin, which already automatically levels the volume of the loaded IRs, and I noticed that some IRs draw attention because they are louder, as is the case of Rosen / Lancaster and 3Sigma, but if compared side by side, with the same volume as the others do not present as much difference as they initially appeared. I also noticed that often the comparison of the S-gear natives is unfair to the Redwirez because the latter are higher. It would be interesting to add to Proconvolver a volume leveling tool, or "learn" as you have in Guitar Rig.
  • BrunoMariano
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Impulse Response Volume Leveling 8 months 1 week ago #19634

Bruno, TBH, I don't think that's the case with S-Gear.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Impulse Response Volume Leveling 8 months 1 week ago #19635

It's a good question.

LtKojak is correct. S-GEAR doesn't attempt to do any volume levelling on imported impulse responses.

I really think it is best that the IR creator applies appropriate levelling for their IR's. I prefer to do this by ear than with any automatic levelling. Avoid simply maximising the .wav file to full scale since this usually results in too much gain.
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Impulse Response Volume Leveling 8 months 1 week ago #19636

mike wrote:

Avoid simply maximising the .wav file to full scale since this usually results in too much gain.

The loudness war truly has been damaging in several ways, and I've noticed that it even slipped into IRs. On quite a few occasions, a person complained about distorted or unpleasant guitar tones only to find out (after MUCH investigation in some cases) that they'd normalized their IRs in order to make them louder. That was the exact cause of the distortion. After they returned to the original IR their tone was as expected.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Impulse Response Volume Leveling 8 months 1 week ago #19640

Sorry, I did not made myself clear. I am aware that S-gear does not apply auto volume leveling on IRs. It's a thing Redwirez MixIR 2 does. As a result, when I load a 3rd part IR into S-gear proconvolver, I have to adjust level by ear to match IRs I'm comparing to. Even between S-gear Redwirez provided and S-gear-made IRs there is a volume difference that must be adjusted by ear to make a fair comparision. It will be nice if future versions features a "auto level" button on proconvolver to quick compare IRs without beign deceived by it's volume difference.
  • BrunoMariano
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Impulse Response Volume Leveling 8 months 1 week ago #19644

The only ir's I've noticed that needed gain increase hanve been 3sigma. Theirs is really low.
I didn't maximize but I did a gain increase on their files. I think 3 or 4 DB
  • Dallon426
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Impulse Response Volume Leveling 8 months 1 week ago #19646

Maybe it's my reference (mainly Sony MDR 7506 headphones), but both 3sigma and Rosen are louder than any other IRs here. Even between s-gear provided redwirez and native s-gear there is a differenece of about 3dB "counterparts" (basketweave is about 3dB louder than Modern G12M20, PCC412 is about 3dB louder than Modern V30, etc).
  • BrunoMariano
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Impulse Response Volume Leveling 8 months 1 week ago #19647

The S-GEAR native impulses also have some gradual attenuation applied as you move the microphone further away from the speaker cabinet. I wanted to recreate the effect that you get when positioning a real microphone in front of the speaker.
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Impulse Response Volume Leveling 8 months 1 week ago #19649

It's nice to add realistic feel in operating software, but I think it's also nice to have an "auto-level" to just compare tone, regardless of volume, from different IRs.
  • BrunoMariano
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Impulse Response Volume Leveling 8 months 1 week ago #19650

BrunoMariano wrote:

It's nice to add realistic feel in operating software, but I think it's also nice to have an "auto-level" to just compare tone, regardless of volume, from different IRs.

You're discussing it directly with Mike so I think you can officially consider it "on the Wishlist." :thumbs up:

Another thing that might be interesting is an option to play a quick chord or lick, have S-Gear sample it into memory, then cycle through the available IRs using that chord/lick as the source. That way you don't have to go back and forth between the guitar and the keyboard to audition cabs, you just scroll up and down and S-Gear fires off the sample, and you'd be hearing your guitar how it would sound via the highlighted IR. I guess I should be posting this in the Wishlist forum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fatherjacques, Dallon426
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Impulse Response Volume Leveling 8 months 1 week ago #19651

Yep! I've did'nt noticed how great stock S-gear IRs was until I've noticed that volume is taking a big part in my perception of tone.

And Elambo, you can do that inside your DAW by using markers and play loop function.
  • BrunoMariano
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Impulse Response Volume Leveling 8 months 6 days ago #19652

BrunoMariano wrote:

And Elambo, you can do that inside your DAW by using markers and play loop function.

That's what I do - just play a lick and record in to the DAW - then loop.

Either that, or record the finished product using something that sounds pretty good, then cycle through some alternatives to see if anything is "better".
I usually stick with the first choice though - probably because that's what I get used to ;)
  • jbraner
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds