TOPIC: Your speakers?

Your speakers? 6 months 1 week ago #19446

I am curious are you guys playing through studio monitors? or a cabinet?
What speakers are you using, etc. I am not concerned with headphones.
Thank you!
  • Dallon426
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Your speakers? 6 months 1 week ago #19447

I use studio monitors, all small ones. Presonus Eris 3, Mackie CR3, and IKMM Micros. All sound great with S-Gear
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Your speakers? 6 months 1 week ago #19448

I was using 2 JBL EON610s for giggin (Helix with S-Gear backup). But I’m switching to Powercab Plus to get a more guitar centered system, that works well with Variax and Helix, and has FRFR, traditional guitar speaker (FRFR/ LF Raw mode) or modeled speakers (which I think are just EQ on FRFR/LF Flat mode).

This is a hybrid solution that is more focused on guitar, and getting that amp in the room sound, while also supporting IRs, and FRFR for acoustic tones. Won’t gig with it until the 15th. But I think its going to be good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ges, swaite
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Your speakers? 6 months 1 week ago #19449

Monitors. Genelec w/ room correction, cuz my room needs some correction.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Your speakers? 6 months 1 week ago #19457

For gigs in one band where everyone uses amps I use a Yamaha DXR10, it's FRFR. I usually put it on a short speaker stand. Love it. With S Gear it sounds pretty darn close to a tube amp, but it mixes better than my tube amps, it's cleaner and the speaker stand really helps to get it out of the mud. I tried the 12" but the bass was stronger than I needed, and it weighed more. I use a little EQ after S gear, and save my setting at each club... another great feature of amp sims.
In another band we go through the PA, whatever that may be... ours or venue.
In my studio I have Mackie HR824 studio monitors.

I've found that when creating tones, it's important to choose the right speaker for the application... it does sound markedly different in different speakers, as you'd expect. For the 2nd band using PA, I practice and tweak tones using some old Mackie SR350 PA speakers. I've found they're pretty close to the typical PA speaker, and I can make a couple tweaks in post-S-Gear EQ as needed. In fact they're a little on the mid-rangey side, so when you learn how your speaker responds you can set some minor EQ settings to get the response a little closer to your expected application.
But for studio recordings, I'll go through my studio monitors.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike
  • gearhead001
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Your speakers? 6 months 1 week ago #19466

Right now, a pair of ancient Altec Lansings that still totally rock. Usually I've got a Logitech 5.1 system going (I'm not at home, don't know the model) that I've used for at least 13 years. Its the all-black one with the oval-shaped satellite speakers whose bases are angled a bit. It was a floor model and the sub never worked right..basically, the volume is stuck at around 75% and the knob does nothing. Fortunately I also have to use an Audigy 2 to run the things which, thanks to Daniel_K's updated Creative Suite, gives me bass control. I've never found an onboard audio chipset that does 5.1 correctly or matches the Audigy 2's quality so until the sound card or speakers give out this is what I'll use most of the time.
Read more about pedal compressors in the source
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Your speakers? 6 months 1 week ago #19474

I am asking because I'd like a pair of speakers that sounded big. But are relatively cheap. I used to have the qsc k8's and they were fantastic sounding. Huge dynamic range and very full sounding. That's what I'm looking for without spending too much cheddar. I think studio monitors don't sound big enough unless a subwoofer is hooked up and I'd like to avoid a subwoofer.
  • Dallon426
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Your speakers? 6 months 1 week ago #19476

I use the JBL 306p MKii monitors. Just moved to those after using the original passive Event 20/20 monitors for about 20 years. It is really hard to beat the JBL's at that price-point. The 6" is a great compromise between the small 5" and the larger 8". In smaller rooms unless they are really well treated with a lot of bass traps you want to avoid the 8".

You would really have to spend a considerable amount more money to "upgrade" from the new 300p series. Lots of folks swear by the Yamaha HS series as well.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Your speakers? 6 months 1 week ago #19477

I have been considering a pair of these for my room. The link is to the 12" but they make a 8" version also.
Price each is not bad at all, seem to get good reviews. Any thoughts on these ?

HeadRush FRFR-112
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Your speakers? 6 months 1 week ago #19479

I’m pretty sure they are identical to the Alto TS312 ( www.altoproaudio.com/products/ts312 ). I’ve read on other fora that there is no difference - just a re-badge - but I don’t know that for sure.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Your speakers? 5 months 1 day ago #19664

qryss wrote:

I’m pretty sure they are identical to the Alto TS312 ( www.altoproaudio.com/products/ts312 ). I’ve read on other fora that there is no difference - just a re-badge - but I don’t know that for sure.

Per a LENGTHY discussion with Inmusic support (they were extremely evasive), "the ONLY difference between the FRFR112 and the TS312 is that the TS312 has a mic preamp". Mic preamps can color the sound.

That said, I've never done a proper A/B comparison (Idon't have a TS312), but my FRFR112 sounds really good. YMMV. Whatever PA style speaker you get, put it on a mini speaker stand to tame the bass and get it up to (just below) head level. Makes a BIG difference..
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Your speakers? 5 months 16 hours ago #19669

Some M-Audio monitors. They do better than the crappy speakers I used to have or using the effects loop of a solid state Fender (which I also used to do), but obviously could be better too. As always, it's the tradeoff between quality and money.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Your speakers? 4 months 4 weeks ago #19672

Love my ADAM A77X.. sound is amazing
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Your speakers? 4 months 4 weeks ago #19674

• fatherjacques
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Your speakers? 4 months 4 weeks ago #19678

www.musictribe.com/Categories/Behringer/...oring/B2030A/p/P0135

That's the ones I've been using since 2006. They seem sound better by the day! ;)
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Your speakers? 4 months 3 weeks ago #19679

I am using a pair of Samson Resolv A8. quite old. Sometimes I think they are OK, others dislike a bit the mids. I may replace them by some Adam A7V or JBL 308p.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds