TOPIC: S-Gear 2.9 status?

profiling feature in S-GEAR? 5 months 2 weeks ago #19407

mike wrote:

S-GEAR v2.9 will offer scalability via a dropdown selector where you can choose 100%, 125%, 150% or 200%.

Thank you very much ! Cheers !
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

profiling feature in S-GEAR? 5 months 2 weeks ago #19410

Is it easier to code a specific percentage vs having an interface that is sizeable?
I'm curious why programmers choose one option over another.
  • Dallon426
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

profiling feature in S-GEAR? 5 months 2 weeks ago #19413

Window resize requires more OS-dependent programming, and sometimes certain UI controls/widgets have trouble with specific scale factors, or changes in window aspect ratio. Its simpler to just provide the options in a dropdown since they can all be tested to be sure there's no anomalies.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 5 months 2 weeks ago #19419

I think we'll be adequately covered with 1x, 1.25x, 1.5x and 2x.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 5 months 2 weeks ago #19421

A full screen feature would be nice as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ti_Dom
  • Dallon426
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 5 months 2 weeks ago #19425

Dallon426 wrote:

A full screen feature would be nice as well.

Definitely a great idea.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 5 months 1 week ago #19440

Does 2.9 bring Retina HD graphics on MacBook Pro? ;)
Last edit: 5 months 1 week ago by Apotheker.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 5 months 4 days ago #19489

I'd just like to take a minute and give Mr. Scuffham a pat on the back. I have a similar story to others: I tried all of the amp modeling software for PC, and S-Gear was the clear winner.

I chose this topic to give Mike some praise because I get the sense that he is getting a lot of pressure to release a new version, seemingly S-Gear 2.9. I owned a Helix up until about a week ago. I know what it's like to look forward to updates and new amp models, and so on. Having said that, I found that with the updates, I only was interested in a very small percentage of what was coming. I realize these products are broad and apply to many different types of player, but for me, I'll take a fantastic sounding amp with some reverb, a guitar cable, and a great guitar. S-Gear delivers that. The Stealer alone can have me playing for 4 hours at a time. The rest of the amps are a bonus, to me.

I love the cleanliness of S-Gear and the wide array of usable amp tones. I'm hopeful that Mike sees this message and knows that we are in his corner, and that it's a pleasure to play through S-Gear. Updates are great, but after buying S-Gear and playing for hours on it, I trust Mike that he won't release something until it is *fantastic*. I'm impressed.

Way to go Mike. Cheers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hkwijhe, Linz, ryentzer, mikmock, LouDorn, swaite, martinbuffalo
Last edit: 5 months 4 days ago by rmg471.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 5 months 4 days ago #19491

Well stated!

Rock on!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 5 months 3 days ago #19498

rmg471 wrote:

I'd just like to take a minute and give Mr. Scuffham a pat on the back. I have a similar story to others: I tried all of the amp modeling software for PC, and S-Gear was the clear winner.

I chose this topic to give Mike some praise because I get the sense that he is getting a lot of pressure to release a new version, seemingly S-Gear 2.9. I owned a Helix up until about a week ago. I know what it's like to look forward to updates and new amp models, and so on. Having said that, I found that with the updates, I only was interested in a very small percentage of what was coming. I realize these products are broad and apply to many different types of player, but for me, I'll take a fantastic sounding amp with some reverb, a guitar cable, and a great guitar. S-Gear delivers that. The Stealer alone can have me playing for 4 hours at a time. The rest of the amps are a bonus, to me.

I love the cleanliness of S-Gear and the wide array of usable amp tones. I'm hopeful that Mike sees this message and knows that we are in his corner, and that it's a pleasure to play through S-Gear. Updates are great, but after buying S-Gear and playing for hours on it, I trust Mike that he won't release something until it is *fantastic*. I'm impressed.

Way to go Mike. Cheers.

Totally agree! If you want 90+ amp simulations, there are plenty of options elsewhere. I'll take quality over quantity any day. Mike can take as long as he needs to release an update. His standards are high and it shows in his work.
Various Gibson, Fender, Epiphone and Cort guitars
Scuffham S-Gear
PreSonus Studio One Professional 4.1.1

Check out my website http://www.daniel-lesaux.com
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 5 months 3 days ago #19499

I'll repost exactly what I've posted on Helix vs S-gear tread:
"Although there is a lot of possibilities with each Helix model, a single S-gear model covers more ground and overlap what can be done with 3-4 Helix Models. Plexi, JTM45, Park and maybe Mahadeva models can be done in S-gear with just Stealer and it's wonderfull bright contour control. S-gear models are more versatile, like a real amp, that's why you don't really need a lot of models. Helix's models are like a static snapshot of an amp on a setting that can be tweaked over."
90+ it's just a marketing stuff. There is not even a variation between models that can't be done with EQ. If anyone wants to be crazy with lots of variations, just download the Redwirez cabinet library.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cojoguitar, rmg471
  • BrunoMariano
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 5 months 3 days ago #19500

BrunoMariano wrote:

I'll repost exactly what I've posted on Helix vs S-gear tread:
"Although there is a lot of possibilities with each Helix model, a single S-gear model covers more ground and overlap what can be done with 3-4 Helix Models. Plexi, JTM45, Park and maybe Mahadeva models can be done in S-gear with just Stealer and it's wonderfull bright contour control. S-gear models are more versatile, like a real amp, that's why you don't really need a lot of models. Helix's models are like a static snapshot of an amp on a setting that can be tweaked over."
90+ it's just a marketing stuff. There is not even a variation between models that can't be done with EQ. If anyone wants to be crazy with lots of variations, just download the Redwirez cabinet library.

I have owned S-Gear for many years and I love the sounds and feel I can get out of it. I also own a Helix and strongly disagree that all of those amps are static or that the Stealer can replicate all of the various Marshall flavors or that is just marketing stuff. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Stealer amp. But the Helix has a tremendous user interface and I can dial in a huge variety of different sounds out of it. Add in the large group of effects and you can do things on it that you just can't on S-Gear. I certainly understand that people of preferences on what sounds good to them. I can get sounds out of both I love, but obviously a large amount more with the Helix. S-Gear has a small edge in feel to me, but I don't feel like I am suffering when using the Helix. I am quite happy to have and use both.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cojoguitar, theminion, swaite, rmg471
  • richpjr
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 5 months 3 days ago #19502

Well stated, richpjr!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 5 months 2 days ago #19506

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Helix is not a good devide, or it's not more complete than S-gear. In fact, it is, but not as much as they advertise. You need to agree that creating a model for a bright switch engaged when it could be added a bright switch to a model is more so to be able to advertise multiple models of the same amp, to increase numbers, than anything else. When they advertise "72 amp models" and you look at the Scuffham's website that say "5 amp models" you think that you're getting much more from your buck from Line6, but that's not necessarily true.
Just to prove my point: Models US Deluxe Norm, US Deluxe Vib, Us Double Norm, US Double Vib, Cali IV Rhythm 1, Cali IV Rhythm 2, Cali IV Lead from Helix are all covered by S-Gear's Wayfarer. I'm not comparing witch model is better, just saying that is more a marketing choice from Line6 to split an amp into multiple models to advertise "more 7 amp models", that passes a sense that there is 7 completely different amps to being modeled rather than multiple settings or channels of the same amp.
  • BrunoMariano
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 5 months 2 days ago by BrunoMariano.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 5 months 2 days ago #19508

I can get excellent sounds out of any S-Gear models, mind you. But having said that, the Wayfarer is such a versatile amp, that I could only use that and almost forget the others...once the day comes that S-Gear will implement a compressor and an OD before the first gain stage, then maybe I won't need anything else than the Wayfarer! Unfortunately, it doesn't seems that's going to happen anytime soon... *sigh*
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aristoteles D, cojoguitar
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 5 months 11 hours ago #19519

BrunoMariano wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Helix is not a good devide, or it's not more complete than S-gear. In fact, it is, but not as much as they advertise. You need to agree that creating a model for a bright switch engaged when it could be added a bright switch to a model is more so to be able to advertise multiple models of the same amp, to increase numbers, than anything else. When they advertise "72 amp models" and you look at the Scuffham's website that say "5 amp models" you think that you're getting much more from your buck from Line6, but that's not necessarily true.
Just to prove my point: Models US Deluxe Norm, US Deluxe Vib, Us Double Norm, US Double Vib, Cali IV Rhythm 1, Cali IV Rhythm 2, Cali IV Lead from Helix are all covered by S-Gear's Wayfarer. I'm not comparing witch model is better, just saying that is more a marketing choice from Line6 to split an amp into multiple models to advertise "more 7 amp models", that passes a sense that there is 7 completely different amps to being modeled rather than multiple settings or channels of the same amp.

I’ve often wondered why Line6 created all these different amp models with only small changes. There are certainly many new amp models that are a lot more complicated, with multiple drive controls, bright switches, etc. I suspect there’s a couple of reasons - but these are only guesses. One is that they perhaps already had the foundations of these models in the HD500 that could be ported without changing the amp designs. Another might be that they are trying to keep the amp controls reasonably simple so that they are easy to manage live.

Anyway, I think we’re seeing a evolution in Helix amp models from models of existing amps, to amps like Litigator that are designed from scratch in the digital domain. This is a good sign, and shows that Mike had the right idea all along.
The following user(s) said Thank You: swaite
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 5 months 6 hours ago #19521

jamsden wrote:

I’ve often wondered why Line6 created all these different amp models with only small changes. There are certainly many new amp models that are a lot more complicated, with multiple drive controls, bright switches, etc. I suspect there’s a couple of reasons - but these are only guesses. One is that they perhaps already had the foundations of these models in the HD500 that could be ported without changing the amp designs. Another might be that they are trying to keep the amp controls reasonably simple so that they are easy to manage live.

Anyway, I think we’re seeing a evolution in Helix amp models from models of existing amps, to amps like Litigator that are designed from scratch in the digital domain. This is a good sign, and shows that Mike had the right idea all along.

Helix is usually my go to for heavily processed tracks because the FX are boundless and sound amazing. But to your point, I do find the Litigator and Badonk are my favorite just straight up amps in the product. It never occurred to me that they were both homegrown. Makes a lot of sense now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: swaite
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 4 months 4 weeks ago #19526

I actually enjoy how S-Gear amps cover quite a lot of territory and, as stated, The Wayfarer alone gives you a wide array of tones. Whenever I see things like 200 Axe Fx amps or infinite Kemper profiles I cringe just thinking about option anxiety.

That being said, I think we can all agree that some basic features are still missing such as some common stompboxes (comp, OD) and a few more amp flavours. I can add stompboxes within a DAW, but I always prefer standalone mode unless I want to record something.

I don't think any of us wants a boatload of amp models. Heck, the metal crowd only uses the 5150 model whatever ampsim they're using.

I do think that the current amps with a bit of fine-tuning would go a long way. The Stealer could have a tad more gain range and cover more of the JCM800's territory. Same as The Jackal to resemble more a Soldano. The Jackal with an OD sounds quite massive.

Honestly, I think that just adding an AC30 and a 5150 model the sales would skyrocket.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 4 months 4 weeks ago #19527

try to find your party hat, we are about ready to celebrate first anniversary.
  • Aristoteles D
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 4 months 4 weeks ago #19528

I've been messing with amp modelers for 20 years. I can't say I've played everything, but I have been through more than a few. I don't think I've used most of the models available to me. Off the top of my head, here's what I've actually used...
- AC-30
- The Crunch amp (Fender Deluxe?) from the Boss GT-3 and GT-8.
- Various Marshalls, not much that I couldn't recreate easily with the Stealer.
- Soldano
- Fender Twin
- Fender Princeton
- JC-120
- Orange
- I might have used a Dual Rectifier or 5150 sim, but not that often.
- Silver Tone

One sound I really am fond of is layering Fenders with Vox amps.

Outside of something class-A like, I'm more interested in seeing some drive boxes than more amps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cojoguitar
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds