TOPIC: S-Gear 2.9 status?

S-Gear 2.9 status? 8 months 3 weeks ago #20545

Overloud has a full demo. Worth a download. I find demos are the only way to really determine how a guitar plug-in will interact with your guitar and your interface your style of playing. There are plenty of sound clips out there in audio and video samples .... but a demo reveals all.
www.johnplainsong.com
Newest album "Strange Tales" now available! S-Gear used throughout the production.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 8 months 3 weeks ago #20546

I am not a fan of the Overloud interface. It bugs me. I used to think the same with S-gear but I have grown to love it. It is simple in all the right ways.
  • Dallon426
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 8 months 2 weeks ago #20556

I haven't invested fully in TH-U, I don't need any of that metal or high gain stuff and there is a lot of that. I find myself using their rig player stuff more than the models. I don't like their comps, or their reverbs a lot which keeps me from spending more time with it. I have bought a few of the add on things when they go on sale, and there are snapshots in those rig players that do come in handy for specific situations. A solo section, a tune where I play a lot of slide and want a thicker sound, just some things. On those things, the gain control can be dialed back but not up (just how it works best for me).

I have gone back to amps for live band stuff but just carried one downstairs and am rethinking that one.
Last edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by gdavis.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 8 months 2 weeks ago #20562

Like others here, I've settled on S-Gear over the others. It just works for me, and I can dial in the sound I need without a lot of fuss.

In case you didn't get an e-mail (if you're on the list), more details re V2.9 were just released ... its in beta and we are getting closer:

Scuffham 2.9 FAQ
www.johnplainsong.com
Newest album "Strange Tales" now available! S-Gear used throughout the production.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 8 months 2 weeks ago #20564

I’m in a committed relationship with S-Gear and this is one of the best emails to hit me inbox in a long time.

Hoping for Merry / Happy Christmas Mike!
Humbuckr
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 7 months 3 weeks ago #20628

Still not here...
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 7 months 3 weeks ago #20631

You know it will not be a huge update... not really new stuff at all, just a kind of cosmetic update to keep the soft running correctly.

I wait for new amps, new effects, new pedals... those kind of things.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 7 months 3 weeks ago #20632

Speaking for myself, I’m quite happy to wait for whatever comes out. I’ve really embraced the idea that I don’t need updates if I’m happy with the sound I have - and I am.

Sure, it’s always nice to get new things but I’ve satisfied that itch with other software - pedals and effects, Gig Performer, the Noire piano. During the last Black Friday thing I did try out a lot of other amps but not one drew me in at all. I already have the sounds I want (mostly Wayfarer and sometimes Stealer through a Bad Cat IR) and I need to play more than fiddle.

Other people are different, of course, and that’s fine. Just saying how I feel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gwp99, hkwijhe
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 7 months 3 weeks ago #20634

As great as this program is, like every other program you can always improve on it. I like most are eagerly awaiting the new release especially with the holiday time off to really enjoy it if possible. Thank you Mike for an exceptionally nice product.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 7 months 3 weeks ago #20641

Given the slow speed of development, it seems like most people have either settled on S-Gear as a perennial favorite or moved on to the next flavor of the month (lately, that seems to be Neural DSP stuff). I'll continue to use S-Gear when I need good clean and rhythm tones, but I'm eagerly awaiting 3.0 in hopes that Mike will provide some boost pedals and other goodies to make S-Gear an easy choice for lead work too.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 7 months 3 weeks ago #20643

Jackal and Wayfarer can provide some really high gain lead tones. If what you want is more a british style kind of lead, then yeah, s-Gear has some shortcomings.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 7 months 3 weeks ago #20646

mohi wrote:

Jackal and Wayfarer can provide some really high gain lead tones. If what you want is more a british style kind of lead, then yeah, s-Gear has some shortcomings.

The Wayfarer definitely has a lot of gain, but there's also a notable difference between playing a Tube Screamer into a Mesa Boogie with the preamp gain on 6 and playing that same amp with the gain on 10. I absolutely love all the amps in S-Gear; but I want Mike to provide us with a few good pre-amplifier options too (especially overdrive, distortion, and wah).
The following user(s) said Thank You: MSKR
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 7 months 3 weeks ago #20647

I get what you are saying. And it would be lovely to have a 'Drive Thing'
I really like using a regular OD in front of S-gear.
A drive pedal is one of the relatively few effects that happily sit in front of such a set-up.

I've been very happy with using a TS-808, an old OD-1 and also a Marshall Guv'nor Mk1 in front of various S-Gear 'amps'. I found I can set them up to 'goose the front end' very much like a decent real amp, and S-Gear reacts very similarly B)
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 7 months 2 weeks ago #20673

I just read the 2.9 FAQ and I have to verify - no more ILOK support on 2.9?. I carry my ILOK instead of an amp. It has worked flawlessly. In 2019, I've worked on 8 different systems, but in 2020 I'll be limited to 3? Bad enough all the delays, but 2.9 with only tech features, no new sounds and now no ILOK support seems like a disappointment for me.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 7 months 2 weeks ago #20674

Fireman200 wrote:

I carry my ILOK instead of an amp
??? What do you mean?
Fireman200 wrote:

I've worked on 8 different systems, but in 2020 I'll be limited to 3?
??? What do you mean? Are you talking in code?
Fireman200 wrote:

no ILOK support seems like a disappointment for me.
Well... see, I'm one of the earliest S-Gear adopters, almost nine years ago. At that time, it was no iLok.

Anyway, somehow I've managed to deliver more than 1,500 performances with not even a glitch using S-Gear including Live gigs, rehearsals, spontaneous Jams and Studio sessions. And I still do to this very moment, so...if I didn't need it then, and don't need it now, why in the world would I feel the need to get an iLok for?

Care to explain?
Last edit: 7 months 2 weeks ago by LtKojak.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 7 months 2 weeks ago #20675

Pretty cool that YOU don't need an iLok. It was crazy for Mike to even offer it. Don't you agree?
  • Robert Smallwood
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 7 months 2 weeks ago #20678

LtKojak wrote:

Care to explain?
I'm not Fireman200, but I think I know what he's referring to:

When using an iLok, he can simply carry his S-Gear license around on an iLok USB dongle and use it on as many PCs as he wants, as long as S-Gear is installed on them - the license resides on the iLok dongle. That's the bit about 8 different systems; no activation of the individual PCs needed with the iLok version.

With 2.9, there will be no more iLok support, only machine support, so S-Gear will need to be activated specifically to a system, with a limit of 3 activations per license, so he'll be limited to installing S-Gear on 3 PCs/laptops with one license.

So if someone wants / needs to use S-Gear on a number of different PCs/laptops, it is definitely useful to have the iLok version and carry around your license on a stick.

The main disadvantages of the iLok version are that you actually have to use the iLok dongle on stage (I hate things sticking out of my live laptop, that might actually break off...) and that it's pretty easy to lose such a USB stick (and thus your S-Gear license).

Personally, I prefer machine activations for my live laptops (main and backup) and a dongle for my studio machine. I'm happy about the new license limit of 3 machines per license (used to be 2, so I actually needed 2 licenses to have both of my live laptops and my studio machine active) - that's a definitive plus!

Cheers,

Torsten
The following user(s) said Thank You: ryentzer
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 7 months 2 weeks ago #20679

ToH2002 wrote:

The main disadvantages of the iLok version are that you actually have to use the iLok dongle on stage (I hate things sticking out of my live laptop, that might actually break off...) and that it's pretty easy to lose such a USB stick (and thus your S-Gear license).

You could use a short, right-angle USB extension cable and plug the iLok into that, which would take nearly all of the potential for breakage out of the equation.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 7 months 2 weeks ago #20680

ToH2002 wrote:

When using an iLok, he can simply carry his S-Gear license around on an iLok USB dongle and use it on as many PCs as he wants, as long as S-Gear is installed on them - the license resides on the iLok dongle. That's the bit about 8 different systems; no activation of the individual PCs needed with the iLok version
Well, in some studios I work with, they prefer to have S-Gear installed in their own machine rather than you use your own computer. Fair enough, what I've been doing for the last eight years is to simply deactivate the license in one of the computers and transfer it to the one installation in the studio's machine.

Once you're done, then transfer it back again. And to do that, you don't need to call Mike; you do it yourself.

No need for an iLok. No risk of ever losing and/or damaging the dongle.

For the record, in the eight years I had S-Gear, I needed Mike to unblock one of my installs three times: two because of physical hard disk failure and once because of laptop thievery. All three times was resolved within the hour I sent the e-mail.

So no, I guess I'm blessed by not feeling the need to ever get an iLok.
Last edit: 7 months 2 weeks ago by LtKojak.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 7 months 2 weeks ago #20682

With 3 activations, I think that the new scheme will offer much of the benefit of iLOK without the need to carry a USB key or require a third party sign-up.

For example, you can activate a studio machine, a laptop and keep one activation spare or for using your license temporarily on another machine. Really all the benefits of iLOK. You just need to keep the License Key somewhere safe where you can always get access to it.

Ideally we would like to offer License Key storage or automated key reminder service via the Scuffham website, and perhaps also self-service management of activated machines so that in future one could remotely recover the activation from a broken machine without needing to contact support. I don't have any timeline for the latter but it is certainly something we would like to work towards.

We have several years’ experience with the different licensing approaches and we thought long and hard about the licensing approach for v2.9. Maintaining two different licensing options requires a lot of work and can be confusing for the customer.

Recently there has been more interest in cloud based licensing solutions (including iLOK cloud). I'm not keen on cloud based schemes. I wouldn't choose to have my mission critical working tools dependent on the availability of a remote cloud server. For me this is not an option, even if the service uptime is very good and internet connectivity stable.

The new S-Gear machine based scheme will offer several technical advantages over the older scheme and should make it easier for us to provide a more convenient solution in the long run.

For the future I would not rule out the possibility of offering an iLOK (add-on) option if there is a strong demand. However, I would rather concentrate resources on making convenience improvements to the main scheme.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fatherjacques, ryentzer
  • mike
  • Administrator
Last edit: 7 months 2 weeks ago by mike.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds