TOPIC: S-Gear 2.9 status?

S-Gear 2.9 status? 2 months 3 weeks ago #20464

If we locked this thread there wouldn't be much activity on the forum! :woohoo:

(...not really, just kidding!)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dallon426
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." - Jack Handey
Last edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by soundog.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 2 months 3 weeks ago #20466

ryentzer wrote:

I vote we lock this thread.
Being a PRIVATE Forum, put at the user's disposal by a PRIVATE company, why would you think you've somehow given an insindacabile right to vote something? You could SUGGEST to do something similar...

Anyway, WHY would you suggest something similar? With what purpose, exactly?

I've my mind open to hear the motivation behind the suggestion.

Well...?
Last edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by LtKojak.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 2 months 3 weeks ago #20467

soundog wrote:

If we locked this thread there wouldn't be much activity on the forum! :woohoo:
This is by no means true.

Just the suggestions, requests and comments by Dallon426 alone generate traffic in the Terabyte range... :P :P :P
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 2 months 3 weeks ago #20468

Lt --- ha ha, you're right. I was just sarcastically joking around (so added a little note to my post to that effect). I read this forum a lot looking for tips and ideas, and most users are a very helpful and enthusiastic group.
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." - Jack Handey
Last edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by soundog.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 2 months 3 weeks ago #20470

Sure beats sitting back and typing snarky comments all day.
  • Dallon426
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 2 months 3 weeks ago #20471

LtKojak wrote:

ryentzer wrote:

I vote we lock this thread.
Being a PRIVATE Forum, put at the user's disposal by a PRIVATE company, why would you think you've somehow given an insindacabile right to vote something? You could SUGGEST to do something similar...

Anyway, WHY would you suggest something similar? With what purpose, exactly?

I've my mind open to hear the motivation behind the suggestion.

Well...?

Well? Do I owe you something? No, I don't. But I will indulge you.
This thread has so many off topic comments, it's lost its value, IMHO.

No, It's NOT a private forum. It is a PUBLIC forum. I have no idea what you meant by "insindacabile".
But if it's makes you feel better, I SUGGEST we close this topic for the reasons stated above. Not sure what crawled up your ____.
  • ryentzer
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 2 months 3 weeks ago #20475

ryentzer wrote:

I SUGGEST we close this topic for the reasons stated above.
Then I'd SUGGEST NOT to do that, as I don't think your reasons have any intrinsic validity, nor in any possible shape of form speak for the rest of the fine bunch of the Forum's contributors .

So there! :P
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 2 months 3 weeks ago #20481

I don't sense the breaking of a forum rule in this thread. And the banter is light-hearted enough; certainly not contemptuous. But let's stay respectful of each other's opinions.

For the record, it's a private forum in the sense that it's financed and operated by Scuffham as an extension of their product, and therefore they have the right to run it as they wish, but it's essentially public because anyone can join and contribute. The only ask is that conversations stay within the guidelines. I do think we have the elasticity for jokes, again, as long as they're not hurtful.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 2 months 3 weeks ago #20484

I agree Elambo. We should all respect each other’s opinion. I only voiced my opinion as everyone is entitled to and have done.

There is “value” in each member’s addition to this forum whether we agree with them or not.
  • ryentzer
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 2 months 3 weeks ago #20489

soundog wrote:

Yeah, let's be clear on the type of music we're using the amp sim for. The Neural DSP products are excellent, but focused on extreme metal. That is their strength and target market (thats obvious after visiting their website and watching youtube videos).

I don't get that impression for Plini at all. The first amp is a Dumble emulation and the 2nd is a Friedman. Even at moderate amounts of gain, these are far too tame to even be usable in the metal genre, much less the extreme metal category. The 3rd amp falls into that territory, however, so it's 1 of 3. Overall, that particular plugin is targeting a wide range of customers, and I've even seen complaints from metal players that it's not heavy enough for them. Maybe it's a different situation with Nolly -- I don't know much about it.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 2 months 1 week ago #20526

Cubase 10.5 out and still a terrible GUI with S-Gear (my favorite amp sim). Pleas release 2.9!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 2 months 1 week ago #20527

Confirmed...... Mike did say that it had something to do with Cubase though. I can verify that no other plugins have this issue though. S-gear is the only one that gives me this graphical error. If I minimize an effect within S-gear the graphics return to normal. But if I close S-gear and reopen it, I have the same issue.

I have posted the question in the cubase forum.

www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=283&t=172941

We can see if there are any helpful responses.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ryentzer
  • Dallon426
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 2 months 1 week ago by Dallon426.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 2 months 1 week ago #20528

Just noticed that if I have no devices open then S-gear loads okay. The problem is when I have any devices loaded. Devices meaning the Delay thing, mod thing, pro convolver, and room thing.
  • Dallon426
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 2 months 1 week ago #20531

In for my semi monthly progress check. Same old same old I see.

I bought Plini. And I like clean, I think it is excellent for that. Not perfect. No MIDI control in standalone which they promised and are easily 5 or 6 weeks past their stated date as of when I bought. But lol not... how many years is it now? This is an incredibly long time to wait for something. Though I am sure I will try it if I don't forget it exists.

I have just gone back to real amps. Burned out on in ears and stage monitors for my guitar monitoring. When I absolutely have to go direct I can use the modeling or I bought a Rivera head that has the little mini roc crusher built in and you can run the head with that so no speaker needed. Same monitoring issues but it isn't long term, just here and there. Bigger gigs, a cab and if needed a little more powerful amp. Not too much though.

It was fun showing people (other players mostly, including bandmates) that the guitar could sound killer using software, I had a lot of people that just did not believe it until I showed them what I was using. Sound man loved it too, very consistent and he got the same reactions and enjoyed it same as I did. I am sure he did that a lot more than I did as he was out there and more accessible.

See everyone in a couple more months. Have fun ;-)
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 2 months 1 week ago #20539

Good day,

Apotheker stated, "S-gear had a huge potential but unfortunately it's not updated and now competition is better..." ... Stating that something is better is entirely subjective. I own S-Gear and TH-U and both have their pluse's-and-minus's. I tend to prefer both the sound of and the work flow of TH-U.

Generally speaking, further comments can be ascertained by an opening statement...

For example, "same for me, I come back sometimes but nothing..." Okay, so what if Mike never goes any further with S-Gear? Does this mean that S-Gear is now moot? Such comments are not very productive as this posting has proven time-and-time again.

I look in on this forum from time-to-time, but my choices for not using S-Gear have nothing at all to do with the "so-called" tardiness of the developer in ensuring that his applications are updated - whether at all or even not.

Personally I still believe that S-Gear to be one fine piece of kit!
  • mr-es335
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 2 months 1 week ago #20540

@mr-es335

Out of curiosity, what about TH-U's sound do you prefer over S-Gear? I haven't tried TH-U but the clips I heard weren't convincing to me.

Of the amp sim plugins I've used, for me S-Gear remains on top with the PRS amps coming close.

Genuinely curious...
  • pixelyzed
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 2 months 6 days ago #20541

I guess everyone has a different idea of what great tone is, but I just can't connect with TH-U, and I've tried at several different stages of its evolution. The clip posted above, for instance, doesn't sound great to me. It's not my ideal Vox tone, and in fact seems a bit lifeless. I've had a vintage AC-30, their handwired reissue, and a boutique version of that topology, and they all seem to nail "that" tone, but the TH-U doesn't get me there. I like it better than what I remember from a few years ago, however.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 2 months 6 days ago #20542

pixelyzed,

Three things...

First, I do tend to prefer the workflow of TH-U.

Second, TH-U provides what I refer to as "big sounds".
* For example, the Randall 4th-dimension and Clean - Heaven Bell. I have yet to hear an amp sim provide me with this particular sound. Also, the preset "Jeff and the Rainbow" is an interesting one to tweak.

And third, the licensing scheme of TH-U is much less - may I say, invasive.
* Note: I am a tweaker an a tinkerer and there was time when I was testing out S-Gear using the non-iLok version where I was down for approximately 4-5 days because I had maxed-out the number of installs. Thus the reason for going the iLok route - which I simply do NOT care for.

I hope this helps?
  • mr-es335
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 2 months 6 days ago #20543

mr-es335,

Yes thank you for that. Any specific sound clips of those out there?

Workflow is a subjective thing as much as tone. In general, I prefer a limited scope plugin with less stuff in it. TH-U seems a good compromise though.

That's why I don't like Bias FX as it tries to do too much and it still sounds like crap to me in its latest version. It also feels wrong and doesn't handle playing dynamics nearly as well as S-Gear and the PRS amps. TH-U sounds like it handles playing dynamics quite well.

Thanks!
  • pixelyzed
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 2 months 6 days ago #20544

pixelyzed,

"Any specific sound clips of those out there?" ... Yes...you!
  • mr-es335
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds