TOPIC: S-Gear 2.9 status?

S-Gear 2.9 status? 2 months 2 weeks ago #20274

I've been reading this forum for a few weeks as I struggled with the uninspiring tone from three other very largely marketed amp sims and found people keep referring to S-Gear as having that something "special."

I found a nice sound here or there with the other sims and in the mix, I'm sure they would be fine. I have never been really happy, though, with any of the presets and had to work at it to get something that was pleasing. I was about to upgrade my interface thinking that it was the missing link. I was frustrated after spending much more on multiple products chasing tone.

But I heard that Eric Johnson cover on the home page for Zenland and was amazed at the tone. I got the demo and started running through the presets. The sounds that came from my computer speakers were dripping with character and mojo that was addictive and awe-inspiring. I couldn't put my guitar down!

1-hour later...clickety click...purchased!

Now I know that some of the unmet expectations for timing can cause some to get excited, but I am sitting here on 2.71 in tone heaven. Whatever you are doing, Mike, I will wait here knowing that you created something no one else could and when the new version is out, I'll celebrate.

My boss hits us with a quote frequently. "On time and wrong is never right." Stay on target and deliver a solid upgrade.

Thanks for bringing back my inspiration to play...even if it's on version 2.71 and not 2.9.

Sincerely:

PhilBo
The following user(s) said Thank You: fatherjacques, orda3000, soundog
Cort Pro Custom Partscaster / Cort G290 Fat / xTone xSonic Interface / S-Gear
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 2 months 2 weeks ago #20275

fatherjacques wrote:

I am 64 now and I can tell you that young just having one guitar and a small amp we were happy.:-)

Funny this was only then when my musical inspiration was thriving. :(
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 2 months 2 weeks ago #20277

Good day,
I would agree with fatherjacques "just having one guitar and a small amp we were happy" ... I would heartily agree.

This being said, I do have three guitars, but theses guitars are three differ types of guitars namely, a nylon-strung, a steel-strung and an electric.
  • mr-es335
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 2 months 2 weeks ago #20287

Studiostriver wrote:

Did you ever heard any software company anywhere make announcement for years on something that would possibly be out years ago?
Its about be serious with customers.

If you use win98 laptop you cant expect anything to do on such a computer.

I personally recording almost every day,doing production and my 9 years old i73.64gz with 16gb RAM barely keeping up on heavy tracks and reasampling various sample libraries and amp sims.

If you do not have such a needs and do not wish to update,do not expect from all other to not have it. And I do not see anything resambles to whining here.We all have different needs and I respect that.

We talk and exchange our thoughts.
Good night,since here is very late.
Regards.

Dude, don't bother. There's no point arguing with zealots. At this point you should have probably realized that everytime someone complaints about the absence of updates they get the exact same replies from the exact same guys.

Just do like the rest of us. Lurk the forum: Is it out? Nope. Move on.
Last edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by Altamir.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 2 months 2 weeks ago #20288

Like so many others, I've been on the edge waiting for the latest S-Gear release. After all the promises from sLate and the extremely long wait for SSD5, I had become a little numb to the whole promise/deliver nature of plugin development. Still, S-Gear is by far the best sounding amp plugin - at least for me - and well worth any wait.

Unfortunately, I can't help but wonder (with just a little bit of humor) if the parting of ways with that subscription has in any way delayed the 2.9 release. If S-Gear is still available till the end of the month for those on his subscription, does that mean we'll finally get the 2.9 release after the last of that commitment is over?

In any event, let's all think good positive thoughts for Mike and hope for a '19 release. New sounds are always a good thing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: richpjr, rose703
  • Fireman200
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 2 months 2 weeks ago #20289

Right now I'd be happy just to be able to re-size the interface to fill my screen.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 2 months 2 weeks ago #20290

Perry wrote:

Right now I'd be happy just to be able to re-size the interface to fill my screen.

A highly-requested feature.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 2 months 2 weeks ago #20291

Altamir wrote:

Just do like the rest of us. Lurk the forum: Is it out? Nope. Move on.

Or just wait for the email announcement.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 2 months 1 week ago #20292

Altamir wrote:

everytime someone complaints about the absence of updates they get the exact same replies from the exact same guys.
Exactly. The ones that complain happens to always be the same ones. Would you expect?

- "Doing always the same expecting different results is the definition of insanity" Albert Einstein -

For the record: I've made my fair share of complains in the past... until I re-read my posts and saw for myself how silly I looked and how unflattering the whining sounded. So... take it easy, play the hell out of with what you've got and patiently wait until the day of the unveiling of the new version comes... or not. In my case, I always get a kick out of reading the on-line snowflake meltdowns... the ridiculousness of human pettiness provides an endless source of entertainment to me... kinda hobby of mine, you know? . ;)
Last edit: 2 months 1 week ago by LtKojak.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 2 months 1 week ago #20294

Fireman200 wrote:

Unfortunately, I can't help but wonder (with just a little bit of humor) if the parting of ways with that subscription has in any way delayed the 2.9 release. If S-Gear is still available till the end of the month for those on his subscription, does that mean we'll finally get the 2.9 release after the last of that commitment is over?

I have been thinking that since I heard it was being pulled from the Slate subscription.

I'm also thinking by this amount of delay, that 2.9 might be skipped and we go straight to 3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mingury
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 2 months 1 week ago #20295

If Mike has the new amps and stuff on the cards I would prefer to pay for the release v3.0 upgrade, although it may mean even longer wait.
The following user(s) said Thank You: soundog
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 2 months 1 week ago #20300

I'd love to hear the chops from the players here who have now become just too darned good for the product that they have paid for, and now desperately need an improved product just to be able to contain their gargantuan talent.
We'll be in for a global musical treat upon release of 2.9 .. ;)

As said earlier, the design of - e.g. a real vintage '57 Bassman hasn't been 'upgraded' since .. around '57 - a design that still makes a sound that is remains a holy grail to many pro's

The next version will be out when it's finished. :blink: How that upsets some people so much I don't know!
Last edit: 2 months 1 week ago by telepath.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 2 months 1 week ago #20301

I don't think this has anything to do with user’s talents or egos. S-Gear simply needs a re-work to improve usability and productivity. If the product is to keep up with evolving and fierce competition (and we all want S-Gear to have a long life), it will need more amps and effects in the future.

As Scuffham sez about the reasoning behind the upcoming release, “some re-work of the S-GEAR User Interface was necessary before we could introduce any further amps, pedals or rack effects into the product.” I, for one, am awaiting the higher-DPI and resizability …. the interface and fonts are too small on my high rez monitor—its a much-needed improvement.

Your statement "the next version will be out when it's finished" is true. And folks will continue to complain as the promised release continues to slip. It happens to most every plug-in manufacturer! The complaints will stop when its finished. Also true!
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." - Jack Handey
Last edit: 2 months 1 week ago by soundog.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 2 months 1 week ago #20305

soundog wrote:

The complaints will stop when its finished. Also true!
Nope. Someone's going to find something to be unhappy. "They didn't do this. They should have done that instead of the other thing. We've been waiting so long and that's it?"
  • Magic Russ
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 2 months 1 week ago #20307

Oh jeepers! Well how about "The complaints about V2.9 not shipping will stop when it's shipped!" How about that? Is that OK?
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." - Jack Handey
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 2 months 1 week ago #20308

LtKojak wrote:

Studiostriver wrote:

Yeah,I shouldnt except any update in next 5-10 years so I would not get dissapointed from software I fell love. You are right about that.
Of course I am! See, I haven't got any upgrades to my '65 Twin Reverb since... well, 1965, and you don't see me complaining about it...

More facetiousness... ;) :P :evil: :cunning:

Again with the irrational comparisons to hardware amps...

I don't think the main reason anyone wants a new version is for the existing amps to get updated and somehow sound better; they already sound great as is and I think most would agree.

People just want new models/emulations of a greater variety of gear and you know it, and using the same silly argument over and over just comes across as disingenuous.
  • LorenzoGamble
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 2 months 1 week ago by LorenzoGamble.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 2 months 1 week ago #20309

fatherjacques wrote:

No business owner will delay an important update just for the fun of it. If Mike is not ready he is not ready. The market and the needs of the users change so fast these days that a small company can't keep up.

One thing is very clear for me. He can't compete with large companies that own 85% of the market.
Sure he can, he's already proven that.

Part of me wonders if Mike's expectations on himself are actually too high.

Noone is expecting innovation to such degrees that it blows everything else out of the water; is it nice when that happens? Sure, but I feel like most of us would be content with a far more realistic update, such as a few new amp models. Tweaking the core sound engine ad nauseam is great and all, but it already sounds fantastic.

He should just produce an offering containing realistic goals and leave the "perfecting" for a later update. As another user noted earlier, that whole process of compartmentalizing/staggering upgrades is part and parcel of being in the software biz.
  • LorenzoGamble
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 2 months 1 week ago by LorenzoGamble.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 2 months 1 week ago #20310

LorenzoGamble wrote:

Part of me wonders if Mike's expectations on himself are actually too high.

Noone is expecting innovation to such degrees that it blows everything else out of the water; is it nice when that happens? Sure, but I feel like most of us would be content with a far more realistic update, such as a few new amp models. Tweaking the core sound engine ad nauseum is great and all, but it already sounds fantastic.

He should just produce an offering containing realistic goals and leave the "perfecting" for a later update. As another user noted earlier, that whole process of compartmentalizing/staggering upgrades is part and parcel of being in the software biz.

Sounds like you are saying to avoid the fate of DNF he needs to adopt agile methodologies.
  • Magic Russ
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 2 months 1 week ago #20311

Magic Russ wrote:

Sounds like you are saying to avoid the fate of DNF he needs to adopt agile methodologies.

Well fortunately I don't think he's in any danger of having a producer pull the plug on his funding, at least :).

I just know as an artist how easy it is to get sucked into the whole "it's not perfect yet" dilemma and end up never releasing anything :frustrated:
  • LorenzoGamble
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 2 months 1 week ago #20313

LorenzoGamble wrote:

Again with the irrational comparisons to hardware amps...
Explain how exactly is irrational? I think the analogy fits the topic as a glove, but you, without any explanation or motivation, simply dismiss it only because it doesn't fit your narrative.
LorenzoGamble wrote:

using the same silly argument over and over just comes across as disingenuous.
Lorenzo, you need to look up in the dictionary the meaning of the word "facetious", Something you seem to have miss entirely, or again, you decided to dismiss it so you can justify your rant venting of what you consider a serious enough issue to cause you grieving in a public place.
Now re-read your own statement, and compare it with the definition of "irrational" and "disingenuous"... see how the glove fits? If you don't believe it, just ask O.J. Simpson... and yes, I'm again being facetious! Get used to it! :P :lol: :silly: :cunning:

Yours very truly,
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds