TOPIC: S-Gear 2.9 status?

S-Gear 2.9 status? 2 months 2 days ago #19851

I was asking for better MIDI implementation over three years ago, along with complaining about not being able to see things unless you are right on top of it. Anyhow, I went back and read my emails, and I was acting as if I thought it would be a matter of months. I never imagined this, so naive was I.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 1 month 4 weeks ago #19856

jamsden wrote:

But what I really want is S-Gear blocks in Helix. Make a deal with Line6 and make it happen!

That would be sweet, indeed! :thumbs up:
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 1 month 4 weeks ago #19857

Thinking about something I (may have) said earlier, Peavey Revalver 4 has a VST loader. You could load S-Gear in the middle of the chain, not use a Peavey amp or cab, and just use the effects before and after S-Gear. I've got Revalver 4, so I'll try it when I get over this damn flu (the proper one, not man-flu). I can't even pick a guitar up at the moment :(
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 1 month 3 weeks ago #19873

KahunaNui wrote:

Thinking about something I (may have) said earlier, Peavey Revalver 4 has a VST loader. You could load S-Gear in the middle of the chain, not use a Peavey amp or cab, and just use the effects before and after S-Gear. I've got Revalver 4, so I'll try it when I get over this damn flu (the proper one, not man-flu). I can't even pick a guitar up at the moment :(

Worth a try, though I suspect it will have slightly different results. Technically speaking, rack effects are placed between the pre-amp and power-amp sections of an amp. So, what gets fed into rack units is the preamp signal. But if you drop S-Gear into ReValver (presumably in the amp stage), S-Gear will spit out the final product (preamp, poweramp, and cabinet). This means, presumably, that any rack effects will be applied to that finished signal. Not sure if you'll necessarily like how a flange or delay sounds when applied to the finished sound vis-a-vis the preamp sound.

You could definitely use the front-end stomp boxes though.
Last edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by ElKabong.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 1 month 1 week ago #19900

do we ever get any information from Mike what happened to 2.9 and why it is not released after over year???
  • Aristoteles D
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 1 month 1 week ago #19901

Aristoteles D wrote:

do we ever get any information from Mike what happened to 2.9 and why it is not released after over year???

Nothing aside from ambiguous stuff about it taking a long time to get right, etc. A bit frustrating to see so little progress, especially for folks who bought in with the expectation of getting the update for free and, due to the extra long delay, might be required to pay again, and then again for 3.0, when it arrives in 2028.
Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by ElKabong.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 1 month 1 week ago #19903

ElKabong wrote:

bought in with the expectation of getting the update for free
When I bought the v. 1.0.4 of S-Gear in May 2011, the very thought of getting updates for free didn't even crossed my mind, and I personally advocated Mike to ask for a fair fee for updates and/or upgrades ever since. What I got in return, joy-wise and tone-wise since that date can't be quantified in money, although several dozen studio dates made thanks to It did pay for quite a lot of my lease, mind you. And It was for free! S-Gear's been the best ROI ever! I paid seventy-five for it, BTW. ;)
due to the extra long delay, might be required to pay again, and then again for 3.0, when it arrives in 2028.
I wouldn't mind at all to pay whatever Mike would ask for v. 3.0, although it'll be hard for me to justify the expense after trying Bluecataudio's Axiom, which today offers everything I'll ever need in a modeler and then some, for a very reasonable price, considering what's offered. YMMV.
Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by LtKojak.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 1 month 1 week ago #19905

I must agree that it is talking much longer than anticipated for version 3.0. I think the real question now is "Does the amps still FEEL and SOUNDS as good or better than other amp sims. I think it is still the case.

I have almost every decent amp and effects softwares right now. I had most of Fractal and Line 6 and UAD hardwares and even real amps with reactive load boxes.

I do not play live and have a home studio and I cannot play loud. My needs are pretty basic. I just need a software that give me some feel and that sounds very good. I do not need hundred of amps or effects. A good reverb, a good delay and some good modulations effects from time to time.

I had 3 days off and decided to do some tests with what I had.

The first thing I told myself is NOT USE S GEAR and try to come up with the best sounding preset I could with a Marshall type of amp. using the other softwares. I had to do so because S GEAR is the one I always use. I made my sounds and rarely I have to tweak them. I was not trying to get exactly the same S Gear presets I love. Only coming with the best I could do to my taste as I did with S Gear.

I took :

Helix Native
Bias FX 2
Mercurial Spark
Amplitube 4 Max
Native Instrument Guitar Rig 5 pro

I took the same IRSs for everything. Celestion Greebacks 4 X 12 high gain ALL. (From Celestion)

After almost 2 complete days of creating presets with these softwares I must say I ended up for each of them with good similar sounds. Enough to say that if I had only one of them I could enjoy the software. I also realized that, like any type of amps, every manufacturer has their own sound of Plexi or similar.

After 3 days I told myself let's cut it to only 2 softwares apart from S GEAR. I ended-up with Helix Native and Mercurial Spark. However this is VERY SUBJECTIVE because it is a matter of taste. What is more important is the sound I am looking for just need a good amp simulation, good speaker simulation and some little delay and reverb. So having zillions effects in a software was not something important for me.

Then I took some more time with both of them and tweaked the presets a little bit.

I was pleased with the presets in both softwares.

As a final test I came back to S GEAR and.... too bad for the others it was an instant win for S GEAR. The most obvious thing for me was the FEEL and the way the amp reacts when it is pushed into overdrive territory.

To be honest I discovered that Helix Native had very good effects and was a very good solution as a pedalboard with S Gear within my environment. A good example would be to use a Range Master type of effects to get a Led Zeppelin type of sound. So all these tests gave me something. I made a preset within Helix Native with a nice pedalboard effects and 8 Snapshots. In fact I made two different presets. On for overdrives, distortions and Fuzz to go in front of the amp and an other after the amps with delays and reverbs.

Right now I use mainly the Stealer and the Wayfarer. Sometimes the Duke and the 57. I would have to invest a lot having the equivalent of these amps in their hardware version plus reactive load boxes and IR player to get what I get in the same environment. Most guitarist would have one or two amps and complete with pedals to get the sound they do not get with their amp.

As LtKojak I paid 75$ for my first version and nothing else since then. My favorite type of sounds are in the vein of Robben Ford, Shawn Tubbs and Pete Thorn.

In life I try to KEEP THINGS SIMPLE. I think this is what Mike acheived with S GEAR.

I look forward for the next version but I will get it when it will ready. That's all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike, hkwijhe
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by fatherjacques.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 1 month 6 days ago #19909

For me keeping simple or complicated the setups is a matter of every individualś preference. I have an Axe Fx III and the amount of complexity it can deliver is just overwhelming, but you can also build a preset that sounds and feels simply incredible in 3 minutes. It is not cheap, though.

From all these mentioned plugins, I think at the moment Mercuriall Spark offers more good "Marshall" sounds than S-Gear, same quality ballpark but with the add on of dirt boxes in front, and more models.

Always I get asked about a plugin recommendation for guitar I send the guys for S-Gear, because in one single solution you can fit many needs, but it is true also that, perhaps because its lack of functional evolution during recent times some people may find themselves limited by its current shape, if comparing it to the rest of the competitors. That does not devaluate the product, just, IMHO, narrows a bit its target market.

Fpr the price it might well be unbeatable though, that is totally true, considering its quality: products like BIAS are (IMHO at least) really behind S-Gear quality, and cost even more with full options and add ons.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 1 month 5 days ago #19913

This radio silence from Mike is enough for me. I'm out. There is so much virtual amp manufacturers who doesn't treat their customers like shit.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 1 month 5 days ago #19914

Uglukman wrote:

This radio silence from Mike is enough for me. I'm out. There is so much virtual amp manufacturers who doesn't treat their customers like shit.

Did he treat you like shit? Can you please elaborate?
  • asintoras
  • Tone Master
My instrumental EP: doctor7.bandcamp.com/album/political-rollercoaster
My other EP with songs: doctor7.bandcamp.com/album/three-ways-of-telling-a-story
I am an artist endorsed by Kinman pickups.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 1 month 5 days ago #19915

Uglukman wrote:

Sorry, but that is just silly. So long.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 1 month 5 days ago #19917

Uglukman wrote:

I can understand your frustration, but this reaction is pretty far overboard.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 1 month 4 days ago #19918

Uglukman wrote:

Probably just as well that you are out. I'm only guessing, but by the mentality of your comment it strongly suggests you suck not only as a person but as a guitar player as well. It would be hard to play through Mike's S-Gear masterpiece and make it sound bad but I bet that is something you would be good at. Obviously you are just fishing for reactions, so there you go!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 1 month 4 days ago #19919

Uglukman wrote:

This radio silence from Mike is enough for me. I'm out.
It's ok. It's not that you're being held hostage or against your will. Somehow, I'm pretty sure you won't be sorely missed. Bye, bye Felicia!
Ugluckman wrote:

There is so much virtual amp manufacturers who doesn't treat their customers like shit.
If your very infortunate use of the english language should imply that you feel personally offended by Mike Scuffham not upgrading the software, then the only thing I can say is this: get professional help. You're not well.
(note to self: good riddance!!!)
Last edit: 1 month 4 days ago by LtKojak.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 1 month 4 days ago #19920

While I don't agree at all with the comment. I can understand the frustration. It has been a year since we were told s new release was going to be released. And haven't heard much sense. That is frustrating to say the least. That being said anytime I had an issue Mike helped me sort it out within a day.
  • Dallon426
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 1 month 4 days ago #19921

As much as you might like S-Gear, saying that the developer treats the customers like shit is clearly overreacting, and rude.

Having said that, though, I think communicating one day that "The next big release of S-GEAR is just around the corner" and more than 6 months later nothing happened yet, can lead to multiple reactions, not being frustration the less predominant.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 1 month 4 days ago #19923

Yes, clearly that was a plea for attention, but now that frustrations have been vented let's move on.

I don't know if Mike has an update to offer (perhaps?), I only know that it's his life's work, and he must be extremely excited to share it, so as soon as that's possible he'll do so.
The following user(s) said Thank You: psklaroff
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 1 month 4 days ago #19924

Thanks elambo and thanks to everyone for your interest in S-GEAR and its ongoing development.

I apologise for not having communicated well on progress against the next major release. This recent phase of S-GEAR development has been protracted several times. At the end of last year it looked like we were close to completion and hence the message in the December newsletter. Following that, I decided to bring forward an update to the S-GEAR licensing system which subsequently pushed out the timescales further.

We are currently testing the MAC build of S-GEAR v2.9 and at the same time working on remaining porting tasks on the Windows build. I will communicate as soon as we are home and dry on both platforms. Hopefully not too long but as I have learned several times over, it is a mistake to communicate estimated end dates until we're really ready to release something.

Again, thanks so much for all the enthusiasm towards S-GEAR, from both new and old customers the messages of support are very much appreciated. I remain totally committed to the project and continue to push forward with development on all fronts. Over the last three years I've done a lot of work on advancing the core modelling techniques, also deploying the modelling to new and exciting platforms (including ARM and SHARC DSP). Pushing the S-GEAR modelling technology further is a challenge because I believe that we were already at a quite advanced stage when we released the initial three S-GEAR v1 amp models back in 2011. Improvement takes time.

The last year or so has been all about bringing the S-GEAR software platform fully up to date so that we can introduce new features and devices into the software and have a solid, usable platform to build upon. I'm happy with where we've got to and obviously very keen to get the next release out, then move on from there.

Sincerely,
Mike
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blimey, wilkoryte, larserik, fatherjacques, bhuddell, psklaroff, ges, mohi, MSKR, DaveP 01, ryentzer, susbemol, mikmock, LouDorn, swaite, Dallon426, Magic Russ
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear 2.9 status? 1 month 4 days ago #19925

Appreciate the update, Mike.

All the best launching the next version!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds