• Page:

TOPIC: Vst pedals any good?

Vst pedals any good? 4 months 1 week ago #18287

Ah, someone else tried the JBL K120 IR's. Great mixed with other guitar speakers for a deep tight punch, bell tone presence and high end sizzle, ay? I also got the the Dual Showman D130f cab IR's. Not just for surf rock, Hendrix and Trower used them. Nice Jazz speaker with a more rolled off high end than the K120.
  • GCKelloch
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 4 months 1 week ago by GCKelloch.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Vst pedals any good? 4 months 1 week ago #18288

jamsden wrote:

I have stopped using BIAS FX or BIAS Amp, the tones are really lacking compared to other options, especially in the effects. Nice UI, nice features, nice ideas, but I don't feel the tone is there. For example, check out the BIAS FX UniVibe then compare it to Helix Native. I find the BIAS FX model unusable.

+1

lots of hype, marketing and a (sometimes) fancy UI, and I own FX, Amp and Distortion!, all of them V 1.x, I didn´t upgrade to v 2.0 though, it seemes the same overall product quality.
MonkeyGoesNowhere wrote:

Mercuriall ones - Tubes Creamer (based on Ibanez® TS-808 both normal and modded) and Greed Smasher (Mesa/Boogie® Grid Slammer) are free and really good quality. I am using both before S-Gear in Reaper and with input gain around 2-2,2 (for single coils). They are working perfectly so really worth to check.

+1 also :)

Mercuriall are releasing superb products, they lack consistency of features among releases but tone and feel wise are just incredible IMHO.

Also Kazrog has some drives in his suite, I bought it last week but didn´t have time to check, apparently they feature even a Klon Centaur alike plugin...
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Vst pedals any good? 4 months 6 days ago #18289

GCKelloch wrote:

Ah, someone else tried the JBL K120 IR's. Great mixed with other guitar speakers for a deep tight punch, bell tone presence and high end sizzle, ay? I also got the the Dual Showman D130f cab IR's. Not just for surf rock, Hendrix and Trower used them. Nice Jazz speaker with a more rolled off high end than the K120.

Hey GCKelloch - you have tempted me to try them - please can you give us a link to those IRs? I've poked around Ownhammer and Redwirez sites and would like to buy the exact ones you are talking about.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Vst pedals any good? 4 months 6 days ago #18293

I don't want to go too far off topic, but here's the page: www.redwirez.com/bigbox.jsp
Not sure which you want, but about half way down the page is the 55Hz cone G12H30 speaker types Hendrix used along with his JBL D130F Dual Showman cabs on stage:
"'68 Marshall Basketweave • Vintage G12H30s • Cabinet IR Library"

Further down the page is:
"Marshall 1960 4x12 • JBL K120s • Cabinet IR Library"

Just below that is:
"Fender Dual Showman • JBL D130s • Cabinet IR Library"

Since they recorded powered by a SS amp, setting the Cab "Z" from 40~50 is recommended for the most realistic tube amp tone.
  • GCKelloch
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 4 months 6 days ago by GCKelloch.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Vst pedals any good? 3 months 1 week ago #18410

Been tweaking my go to S-Gear presets lately, and I gotta say the Redwirez and Scuffman IR's seem to sound just right with the "Z" knob right at 5, but I tend to set amp tone stacks for a flatter sound with the Middle way up, Treble way down, Bass to taste and the Presence as high as possible for better amp section dynamics.

I'm also gonna say that as warm, rich and versatile as the 'IVGI2' plugin is, I find the VOS 'TeslaProMkII' (for PC only) generally better as an overdrive/coloured-boost option. Once you grasp how to use it as boost, how the saturation model's differ, and how the "Transients" knob can be used for better articulation, particularly when stacking instances, it's just wonderfully useful and realistic sounding. The designer created an algorithm he calls "Stateful Saturation" which alters the transfer function in real-time based on previous signal input, essentially creating a hysteresis loop function that somehow doesn't rely on oversampling to eliminate artifacts, so it can be driven to saturation without "digital fizz". IVGI2 may use the same principle--maybe just not in quite the same way? The different models are probably not as smooth as IVGI2, but that can be better for pedal-like boost usage. Again, it's only for PC. Sorry, Mac dudes.
  • GCKelloch
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 2 months 1 week ago by GCKelloch.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Vst pedals any good? 2 months 1 week ago #18545

But wait. there's more...AirWindows has many free plugins for PC, Mac, AU and even PPC that sound great. Chris (I believe an M.I.T. grad) developed his own type of anti-aliasing algorithm to eliminate artifacts without oversampling. He may seem a bit long winded, but I find him quite brilliant and fun to listen to as he explains the unique workings of his many offerings in video demo from. His list of plugins is staggering, but if you are looking for overdrive/distortion plugins he has a good handful with simple useful functionality and fantastic sound.

He just recently developed a distortion algorithm based on the Fibonacci sequence called "spiral" that doesn't alter tonality and actually breaks up smoother than his older sine-shaped algorithm due to the more gradual inter-sample relationship near clipping. The more natural saturation compression also keeps things from going berserk at high gain levels. I still like the older sine-based "fattening" distortion plugins a lot, but the new algorithm is just superb...perhaps the first of it's kind. He has some great compressors and other simple clever FX as well. It's all free, but donations are recommended if you generally use his stuff.
  • GCKelloch
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Vst pedals any good? 2 months 1 week ago #18546

GCKelloch wrote:

But wait. there's more...AirWindows has many free plugins for PC, Mac, AU and even PPC that sound great.
Thank you for putting me onto these. I have been using his Tube Screamer style plugin Guitar Conditioner for quite a while and love it! I also don't care that it has no UI or even any controls, it just sounds great to me and works really well with S-Gear. I've also tried and liked the Pressure plugin.
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Vst pedals any good? 2 months 1 week ago #18547

Yeah, the lack of GUI graphics is no drawback, and the anti-aliasing code Chris developed works beautifully. Everything sounds very analog. I was under the impression Guitar Conditioner is not a gain clipping plugin, but just a tone shaper? Either way, you could try running it b4 or after 'Spiral' (or another clipping plugin) and driving Spiral with a simple volume plugin. While not changing the tonality, the Spiral algorithm seems to have a more dynamic quality than his sine curve algorithm. I think he said he used it in the 'Single Ended Triode' plugin as well. That algorithm creates a super sweet sounding asymmetric distortion which mainly adds 2nd harmonics, just like the tube amp configuration of it's namesake. Pressure4 is very interesting. It does much more than meets the eye with just a few controls. I might give that a try as well. I think he said it has a soft-clipping feature to catch initial transients.

Other AirWindows gain shaping plugins to try are:

Density: Fattening multistage sine curve overdrive or dynamically "inverse" overdrive with a HP filter and wet/dry mix -- ultimate fusion style overdrive and more.
Drive: Crisp diode-like clipping (no inverse option) with HP filter and wet/dry.
Hard Vacuum: Tube overdrive with added textural features.
One Corner Clip: Pos and neg wave "corner" shaping for various bias gating "fuzz" effects.
Power Sag: Power supply sag effect without distortion = "natural" compression.
Purest Drive: Sweet sine curve derived overdrive with dynamic/freq dependent pass thru.

There are other console strip "coloring" and tape emulation plugs, but those above are what I'd probably try first as gain pedals.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kierank
  • GCKelloch
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 2 months 1 week ago by GCKelloch.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Vst pedals any good? 1 month 3 weeks ago #18610

OK, Chris added a 'Spiral2' version. It has input gain, a HP-filter, output level, dry/wet mix, and an innovative new "Presence" feature that pretty much does what you'd imagine. It's actually a unique saturation peak blender of sorts. I really like the sweet articulate sustain I can get even better than Density. Kinda' like an ideal tube stage with just the essential functions. Density seems more "grainy"--maybe more like a germanium diode stage. Different strokes...

My initial setup is:
Input: 0.75
Highpass: 0.15
Presence: 0.25
Output: 0.5 (to compensate attack character & loudness into S-gear)
Dry/Wet: 0.8

Of course, YMMV.
  • GCKelloch
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by GCKelloch.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.059 seconds