there are SO many files / hz

-atomic
-fractal
-kemper
-line6
-wav44
-wav48
-wav96

what is the first to start? do i look into line6 when i have line6 device? or is the first folder wav44 if i said my DAW i record in 44khz?

second question:

there are IRs for mono and stereo. if i load mono-IR into s-gear 2 do i bypass the second cab in IR-loader?

whats the use of stereo IRs? are they panned left and right for stereo-imaging ?

for guitar hard left-right-panning: is it stupid to use an stereo IR and record two times the same riff to mono-track it and pan it left and right, because i like the 008 stadium-shred preset from S-Gear 2 but it is a stereo preset (with cab1 and cab2 active) so i ask myself if it is stupid to record with a stereo-preset and then make it a mono-track (or two mono-tracks) to pan it left and right to have a nice stereo track again
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

How to use IR correctly 6 months 2 days ago #18044

Use the wav ones at the sample rate of your DAW project.

I think Mike once said that stereo IRs are just 2 mono ones (in L and R). Try loading 2 different mono ones and pan them hard L and R ;)
  • jbraner
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

How to use IR correctly 6 months 2 days ago #18045

As jbraner said, use the wav files at the correct sample rate for your project. In most cases you will probably want to use a mono impulse, or mix two different mono impulses, one on each channel. Experiment with panning and eq.

If you load a stereo impulse S-GEAR will automatically load each channel of the convolver with each side of the impulse (L->1, R->2).

The impulse list will show the format, either stereo or mono, along with other information like the length.

Attachments:
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

How to use IR correctly 6 months 2 days ago #18051

ok. thanks guys, good to know.

so is it a bad idea to use an s-gear 2 included preset that is already stereo with 2 cabs but record it twice to pan hard left and right? will the result be "too much" or will this work also?
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

How to use IR correctly 6 months 2 days ago #18052

b_m_l wrote:

so is it a bad idea to use an s-gear 2 included preset that is already stereo with 2 cabs but record it twice to pan hard left and right? will the result be "too much" or will this work also?

This approach would obviously be more CPU intensive but as long as you are aware of that and you have the CPU capacity to experiment, it's not necessarily wrong. One thing to keep in mind is that if you have a very complicated arrangement to achieve a particular sound, it might be more difficult to re-create the exact same result again in another project. The nice thing about S-GEAR presets is that you can quickly draw on your favourite sounds and cab combinations.
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

How to use IR correctly 6 months 2 days ago #18053

on the ownhammer website you can find what are you looking for.

www.ownhammer.com/tutorials/sgear/
  • NightWalker
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 6 months 2 days ago by NightWalker.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

How to use IR correctly 6 months 1 day ago #18058

So there is no change loading 200ms or 500ms?
  • BrunoMariano
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

How to use IR correctly 6 months 1 day ago #18059

BrunoMariano wrote:

So there is no change loading 200ms or 500ms?

There would be difference, whether or not you can hear it and which length is most desirable depends on the individual IR. Try both and decide which one you want to use, but keep in mind that the 500msec IR is using a lot of CPU resource for possibly little benefit. If you have a DAW project with lots of plug-in instances then be wary of using super long impulses.

This topic has been debated heavily on various forums and also discussed on this forum. There are a couple of factors, one that the FFT length and sample rate determine the low frequency accuracy of the resulting convolution. The second factor is that there may or may not be energy in the impulse beyond 100 msec.

Some of my favourite impulses are less than 50msec long. Others are closer to 200 msec.
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

How to use IR correctly 6 months 1 day ago #18061

Hey Mike!

Can you tell us, just for curiosity, which are your favorite impulses?
  • BrunoMariano
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

How to use IR correctly 6 months 21 hours ago #18063

BrunoMariano wrote:

Hey Mike!

Can you tell us, just for curiosity, which are your favorite impulses?

I tend to choose an IR and stick with it throughout a particular piece of development work.

The Redwirez Vintage Basketweave is one that I will often come back to (and these are typically less than 2048 samples in length). More recently I've been using the SA30F - Vintage British Blues a lot - for my own noodling ;) In my opinion these cabs work well with all mic options and often a particular mic will work better with a certain guitar/pickup combination. Also the new S12M20's are another favorite for 4x12 for Marshall sounds. The more recent Scuffham IR's are typically around 6000-9000 samples in length at 44100 sample rate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fatherjacques, swaite
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

How to use IR correctly 4 months 1 week ago #18281

What sample rate is preferred around here? I've always recorded in 44.1 because that's what everything gets mixed to anyway. I personally cannot tell the difference between audio recorded at 44.1, 48, 96.
  • Dallon426
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.298 seconds