• Page:

TOPIC: Questions/Advice on playing live setup

Questions/Advice on playing live setup 4 months 3 weeks ago #25208

Not really. There are a long list to tweak windows, but i only do this:
- run windows without grafical gimmicks (maximal performance)
- choosíng optimize for backgfround tasks
- energy saving to full power at all time, even in battery mode
- allow no sleep or hibernate
- do nothing when closing
And, if it's possible to use a notebook only for music, i install only things that are required. Bluetooth drivers for midi are also cool to use airstep or other devices. In btarrery mode i have only one cable to the pa or monitor to finish my setup ;-)
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Questions/Advice on playing live setup 4 months 2 weeks ago #25222

There is a great (and free!) eBook on tuning a PC or laptop for real-time audio. Especially laptops can be fickle beasts, due to their power management features.

The eBook has been written by Brad Robinson, creator of Cantabile, and is available here . The advice contained has helped a lot of "cantabilists" get the most of their systems - virtual keyboard setups tend to be a lot more complex than the typical virtual guitar setup, so having a system that doesn't glitch under higher load is crucial.

Another tip from the Cantabile forum: Process Lasso - a helpful tool to protect your relevant audio processes from other programs. But that's for the hard-core geeks...
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Questions/Advice on playing live setup 4 months 1 week ago #25236

Thanks for your tips!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Questions/Advice on playing live setup 3 months 1 week ago #25274

rapids27,

Q1. What is better to use a VST Host (LiveProfessor, Cantabile, etc) or a DAW (ie Studio One, Reaper, etc..).
R1: I suggest that you have a look at the following: [Link]

I hope that this information is of some practicable use?
  • mr-es335
  • Tone Master
Sincerely,
mr_es335
www.sentinelmusicstudios.com
Last edit: 3 months 1 week ago by mr-es335.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Questions/Advice on playing live setup 3 months 1 week ago #25275

mr-es335 wrote:

rapids27,

Q1. What is better to use a VST Host (LiveProfessor, Cantabile, etc) or a DAW (ie Studio One, Reaper, etc..).
R1: I suggest that you have a look at the following: [Link]

I hope that this information is of some practicable use?

While I like the detailed description very much, I feel that this is focused on a very specific situation:
  • playing "solo" with backing tracks and fully automated changes
  • mixing not only guitar, but also other audio sources "inside the box"
  • using only S-Gear presets for guitar sounds, not changing the actual effects chain

For this specific scenario, you have probably built the most efficient "in-the-box" setup, but for the typical "laptop guitarist", I would still prefer the likes of Cantabile, GigPerformer, etc.

These are optimized on pre-configuring different setups of VST plugins and changing complete setups on-the-fly very flexibly. Very nice if you'd like to chain different pedal VSTs before or reverb / delay / etc plugins after S-Gear in different configs per song or song segment.

The combination of SAW Studio and SAC, while extremely powerful, may be a bit too complicated and just "too much" for the more basic use cases (just having a guitar rig "in-the-box") - aside from cost considerations.

Horses for courses, I guess...
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Questions/Advice on playing live setup 3 months 1 week ago #25279

ToH2002,

Thank you for the reply..appreciated!

Your comment [C#]
My Response [R#]

C1: While I like the detailed description very much, I feel that this is focused on a very specific situation:
R2: Not So. What I have provided is only "the tip of the iceberg".

C2: playing "solo" with backing tracks and fully automated changes
R2: True

C3: mixing not only guitar, but also other audio sources "inside the box"
R3: True

C4: using only S-Gear presets for guitar sounds, not changing the actual effects chain
R4: True, but not!
• SAC..and SAW for that matter, are both VST hosts. Thus the deployment of "effects chains" are no different than any other VST host.

C5: For this specific scenario, you have probably built the most efficient "in-the-box" setup, but for the typical "laptop guitarist", I would still prefer the likes of Cantabile, GigPerformer, etc.
R5a: A question back to you..."Why?"
R5b: May I aks why you contrast ""in-the-box setup" with "laptop guitarist"?

C6: These Cantabile, GigPerformer, etc] are optimized on pre-configuring different setups of VST plugins and changing complete setups on-the-fly very flexibly. Very nice if you'd like to chain different pedal VSTs before or reverb / delay / etc plugins after S-Gear in different configs per song or song segment.
C6: SAC|SAW can do all of this - and even more!

C7: The combination of SAW Studio and SAC, while extremely powerful, may be a bit too complicated and just "too much" for the more basic use cases (just having a guitar rig "in-the-box") - aside from cost considerations.
R7: Not so! I have taught 12 year olds how to configure this system.
• Provide me with a "generic" scenario and let me see what I can come up with?

C8: Horses for courses, I guess...
R8: True. "Each man believes only his experience"...Empedocles
  • mr-es335
  • Tone Master
Sincerely,
mr_es335
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Questions/Advice on playing live setup 3 months 1 week ago #25280

Mike,

As a semi-retired computer consultant, I have had both the blessings of, and the privilege of, assisting others in both the purchase of, and the configuration of, PC-based desktops and laptops.

For desktops, I generally prefer Dell's [my "Nemesis"] and for laptops, I generally prefer Lenovo - both of which are "corporate-grade" offerings.

For the OS, I employ Windows 10 LTSC [Long-Term Servicing Channel] - of which is a stripped-down version of Windows 10 Enterprise.

For there, I perform over 240+ steps in minimizing the overall "bloat" of Microsoft OS's.

I have had systems being deployed now for well over 20 years...all without major incident - other than basic hardware issues [that is, RAM, HDD/SSD, and so on].
• In ALL situations, I focus heavily on redundancy and recovery via disk imaging/backup scenarios and cloned HDD's/SSD's.

Hope this helps?
  • mr-es335
  • Tone Master
Sincerely,
mr_es335
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Questions/Advice on playing live setup 3 months 1 week ago #25282

Any tips you would like to share on reducing bloat? Just purchased a Lenovo windows 11 laptop to use S-gear live in reaper with additional vsts
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Questions/Advice on playing live setup 3 months 1 week ago #25284

thorman,

To keep this present post from going too far "south", I thought it appropriate to start a new positing. [Click_Me]
  • mr-es335
  • Tone Master
Sincerely,
mr_es335
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Questions/Advice on playing live setup 1 month 4 weeks ago #25348

thorman,

You stated, "Any tips you would like to share on reducing bloat? Just purchased a Lenovo windows 11 laptop to use S-gear live in reaper with additional vsts."

Any follow-up?
  • mr-es335
  • Tone Master
Sincerely,
mr_es335
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.056 seconds