• Page:

TOPIC: Couple of stupid questions perhaps?

Couple of stupid questions perhaps? 3 months 3 days ago #17890

asintoras wrote:
I am using Total AV as the antivirus, but turn it off when using S-Gear or recording - as well as the wi-fi-, and have Malwarebytes (which I forget to turn off).

My personal opinion/experience is that third party antivirus programs are generally intrusive. Whilst they won't directly impact the reported round-trip latency, they may load the machines resources and prevent you from pushing the buffer size down adequately. But as stated, that's my personal opinion and I haven't tested any of the recent release of software claiming to keep your machine clean and safe.

For the last five years I have used the built-in Windows defender protection and I think it does the job perfectly well. It's not intrusive and I've not suffered a virus on any of my Windows machines in that time.

Mike
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Couple of stupid questions perhaps? 1 month 2 weeks ago #18114

Not to hijack the thread but Mike's comment brings up an interesting side question... Does anyone know if temporarily disabling an antivirus program is enough, or will I get better performance by uninstalling altogether? I always disable it after booting.

FWIW I also have Photoshop and some other programs on my gig rig... guess I could take them off but I always assumed that if they're not running then the impact on performance would be negligible, unless it's updating or somehow running in the background. Any thoughts on that? Would love to get my latency down to around 8ms RT or lower, and I'm looking at a new interface. I currently have the 2i4 and get about 12ms RT on a vaio with an i7 2640M dual core running at 2.8 Ghz ( 3.4 turbo boost FWIW), 8GB RAM, SSD. But I wonder if a new interface will get me to 8ms, or if I need a new laptop?
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Couple of stupid questions perhaps? 1 month 2 weeks ago #18121

But I wonder if a new interface will get me to 8ms, or if I need a new laptop
The driver is more important than the interface - for getting your latency down (the interface obviously has everything to do with the quality of your sound) - so check which interfaces have good low latency drivers (like RME, MOTU etc)
  • jbraner
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Couple of stupid questions perhaps? 1 month 1 week ago #18141

Actually I now have 6.3ms on RTL Utility! Did some more optimization, got one of the newer drivers to work better, found couple more offending plugs and replaced with better ones. SG definitely feels better now.
I tested the Antivirus, didn't see any significant change either way so I'm leaving it on the machine but I disable it for gigs. Thanks!
Last Edit: 1 month 1 week ago by gearhead001.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Couple of stupid questions perhaps? 1 month 1 week ago #18142

I remember that at some point, Avast was messing with my latency significantly... I uninstalled it and it was working much better after that.

My problem now is something else that I still haven't been able to detect. I tried with no anti-virus and the problem persisted. Will have to try without the malware as well and see how it goes, although I have the feeling that it will not be that either.
My instrumental EP: doctor7.bandcamp.com/album/political-rollercoaster
My other EP with songs: doctor7.bandcamp.com/album/three-ways-of-telling-a-story
I am an artist endorsed by Kinman pickups.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds