• Page:

TOPIC: Which software compressor plugin do you use?

Which software compressor plugin do you use? 1 year 6 months ago #17251

I'm just curious if any of you use software compressors?
If so:
1. Which one?
2. Favorite setting?
3. Which S-Gear amp do you use it with?
4. Do you put it before or after S-Gear?

Thanks!
  • ryentzer
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Which software compressor plugin do you use? 1 year 6 months ago #17253

I use the compressors that come with Logic Pro X, because that’s what I have. The key is to understand that compressors early in the electric guitar signal chain server a somewhat different purpose than the typical compressor used in mixing tracks. A guitar compressor serves a number of important functions:
  1. Controlling pick attack: slower attack allows more pick attack to come through
  2. Evening out pick dynamics
  3. Adding sustain
To achieve these results, a guitar compressor will often be the first thing in the signal chain, will have very fast attack and very slow release (up to 1 sec), and very high ratio, almost becoming a limiter. Then the amount of compression and makeup gain are used to get the desired tone.

Getting a lot of sustain using a compressor this way can sound pretty unnatural. One way to fix this is to use parallel compression or a wet/dry mix if your compressor supports it. You can use a lot of compression, but then dial in the mix with the uncompressed guitar to maintain some dynamics, natural pick attack and still get the sustain.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ryentzer
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Which software compressor plugin do you use? 1 year 5 months ago #17288

Exactly what Jamsden said except I use a different compressor. I was using the one within Presonus Studio One, but recently been using Klanghelm MJUC. Its super cheap at 24 Euros and works great.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ryentzer
  • bigcraigie_1
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Which software compressor plugin do you use? 1 year 5 months ago #17426

I recently have been using UAD DBX160 or Precision Compressor. I have many projects with Antress compressor Blk. I alternatively use a hardware comp on the front end - a DBX MC6 often enough with a fast attack and immediate release - hard knee with a pretty high ratio. The threshold is pick-up dependent.
Last edit: 1 year 5 months ago by Rbh.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Which software compressor plugin do you use? 1 year 5 months ago #17429

Here's another great one that just came out:
dmgaudio.com/products_trackcomp.php

4 compressors in one...
The following user(s) said Thank You: swaite
  • jbraner
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Which software compressor plugin do you use? 1 year 5 months ago #17431

...five compressors with the "DMG" model. Nice find, jbraner. The manual is practically a course in historical compression. Good that they released something more accessible than the Compassion compressor. The generated distortion of the various compressor models may be useful, but it's a separate thing from amplitude compression. The DMG model offers completely clean compression with S-curve options for different response feels. That's a really nice feature. The global side chain with EQ is useful if you just want to compress a certain part of the spectrum. FI, set a 500Hz~1kHz HPF so the upper-harmonic level is less affected by the stronger guitar note fundamentals. Try the inverse with a LPF as an experiment. I recently read that ~4:1 is a standard guitar compression ratio, but there are no pat rules.
  • GCKelloch
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Which software compressor plugin do you use? 1 year 5 months ago #17432

Only because I grew up as a guitar player using one, in Amplitube there's a MXR Dyna Comp-inspired compressor called the "DComp". Well, just for all the songs I play that call for a compressor, I simply use Amplitube 4. All the rest is S-gear.

Using it is kind of an acquired taste, as it sounds pretty "unnatural", but hey! That's the vibe I like.

"De gustibus non disputandum est"
- Gaius Iulius Caesar, Roman dictator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Which software compressor plugin do you use? 1 year 4 months ago #17435

The manual is practically a course in historical compression.

The manual is great! DMG plugs are really good ;)
  • jbraner
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Which software compressor plugin do you use? 1 year 4 months ago #17505

As mentioned, compression before the amp is pretty different (in sound and purpose) to compression after an amp. I've done more mixing than guitar playing (mostly I play keys!) and I can't recall adding compression to guitar during a mix very often. I'm sure it's done, it's just not an instrument I personally tended to compress much.

I use the Logic Pro compressors, as someone else said it's what I have!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Which software compressor plugin do you use? 1 year 4 months ago #17512

My favorites, more or less in order of preference:

Novatron by Kush (a clear winner in this category)
FetPressor by PSP Audioware (very much like the venerable Urei 1176, which is a big compliment)
MJUC by Klanghelm (a touch of analog warmth)
Pro-C2 by FabFilter (clean)
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Which software compressor plugin do you use? 1 year 4 months ago #17513

Stokely wrote:

As mentioned, compression before the amp is pretty different (in sound and purpose) to compression after an amp. I've done more mixing than guitar playing (mostly I play keys!) and I can't recall adding compression to guitar during a mix very often. I'm sure it's done, it's just not an instrument I personally tended to compress much.
Its usually not necessary to compress a guitar after the amp since most electric guitars are already compressed by amp distortion. If its a really clean guitar, compression before or after the amp will mostly do the same thing (since the path is linear) as long as the threshold is adjusted for the same amount of compression. Adding a compressor before distortion can be interesting and might contribute to a bit more sustain without having to saturate the amp as much.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fatherjacques, elambo
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Which software compressor plugin do you use? 1 year 4 months ago #17542

Here's another great compressor that was just made public. It's designed for guitars and comes from a company that's churning out excellent software gtr pedals.

www.kuassa.com/products/efektor-cp3603-compressor/
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Which software compressor plugin do you use? 2 months 1 week ago #19472

Tokyo Dawn Kotelnikov is well worth checking out, it's very transparent and easy to use. The free version is excellent and the GE version brings in a lot of nice extras.

Presswerk is also great, it has a lot of character and is very versatile. The various UI modes effectively make it several compressors in one.

It's common knowledge that you can never have too many compressors, i have loads and they each have their own advantages but if i had to pick one it would be Kotelnikov GE.
Read more about pedal compressors in the source
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Which software compressor plugin do you use? 2 months 1 week ago #19501

The Plugin Alliance bx_opto compressor is a good substitute for the venerable MXR DynaComp.

www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products/bx_opto.html

Wait for it to go on sale though. Can be had for $29 if you're patient.
Various Gibson, Fender, Epiphone and Cort guitars
Scuffham S-Gear
PreSonus Studio One Professional 4.1.1

Check out my website http://www.daniel-lesaux.com
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Which software compressor plugin do you use? 2 months 4 days ago #19525

Oomkin wrote:

Tokyo Dawn Kotelnikov is well worth checking out, it's very transparent and easy to use. The free version is excellent and the GE version brings in a lot of nice extras.

Presswerk is also great, it has a lot of character and is very versatile. The various UI modes effectively make it several compressors in one.

It's common knowledge that you can never have too many compressors, i have loads and they each have their own advantages but if i had to pick one it would be Kotelnikov GE.

In addition to Oomkin's post I'd like to mention Tokyo Dawn TDR Nova, which you can use as a dynamic equaliser in a parallel configuration too. I use it on various audio tracks. Even the free version of TDR Nova offers a lot of useful features.
Last edit: 2 months 4 days ago by chrismay.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Which software compressor plugin do you use? 1 month 4 weeks ago #19558

I'm hoping Mike will include a compressor in the next version . However currently I am using the slate vmr vst. I'm really happy with the sound. To my ears the VMR is a fantastic Swiss army knife.
  • Dallon426
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Which software compressor plugin do you use? 1 month 4 weeks ago #19560

Dallon426 wrote:

I'm hoping Mike will include a compressor in the next version . However currently I am using the slate vmr vst. I'm really happy with the sound. To my ears the VMR is a fantastic Swiss army knife.

With which compressor?
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Which software compressor plugin do you use? 1 month 3 weeks ago #19572

FG-401
The FG-401 started as a recreation of the classic British console channel compressor, but morphed into a whole lot more. First, we gave it variable attack and release with increased range, which added more tonal options. After that we added an input transformer stage – but not just any transformer, the famous transformer from the British Class A Console! This adds a beautiful warmth and sheen to the compressor, and lastly we added an entirely unique opto circuit path that provides an additional smooth and rich tone. The FG-401 is perhaps the most versatile mix compressor in the world, and it can sound good on any source you feed into it!
  • Dallon426
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Which software compressor plugin do you use? 1 month 3 weeks ago #19573

Dallon426 wrote:

FG-401
The FG-401 started as a recreation of the classic British console channel compressor, but morphed into a whole lot more. First, we gave it variable attack and release with increased range, which added more tonal options. After that we added an input transformer stage – but not just any transformer, the famous transformer from the British Class A Console! This adds a beautiful warmth and sheen to the compressor, and lastly we added an entirely unique opto circuit path that provides an additional smooth and rich tone. The FG-401 is perhaps the most versatile mix compressor in the world, and it can sound good on any source you feed into it!

Are you Steven Slate in disguise? ;)
  • jbraner
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Which software compressor plugin do you use? 1 month 3 weeks ago #19581

Just a quick remark on Kotelnikov and TDR Nova: careful with these; they do introduce latency. Each of them has 187 samples latency, which at 44.1 kHz translates to roughly 4 ms of latency. Playing live, this can matter - adding 4 or even 8 ms of latency to your processing chain is relevant. So I tend to stick to latency-free plugs.

My favorite set of plugins is from FabFilter - these are all great quality and easy on the eyes. So I tend to use Pro-C from FF for my guitar needs. For free plugins, I'd recommend the Reaper plugins - reaComp is a decent compressor, and it's latency free as long as you keep the lookahead feature (pre-comp) deactivated.

Cheers,

Torsten
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds