TOPIC: Which software compressor plugin do you use?

Which software compressor plugin do you use? 1 month 3 weeks ago #17251

I'm just curious if any of you use software compressors?
If so:
1. Which one?
2. Favorite setting?
3. Which S-Gear amp do you use it with?
4. Do you put it before or after S-Gear?

Thanks!
  • ryentzer
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Which software compressor plugin do you use? 1 month 3 weeks ago #17253

I use the compressors that come with Logic Pro X, because that’s what I have. The key is to understand that compressors early in the electric guitar signal chain server a somewhat different purpose than the typical compressor used in mixing tracks. A guitar compressor serves a number of important functions:
  1. Controlling pick attack: slower attack allows more pick attack to come through
  2. Evening out pick dynamics
  3. Adding sustain
To achieve these results, a guitar compressor will often be the first thing in the signal chain, will have very fast attack and very slow release (up to 1 sec), and very high ratio, almost becoming a limiter. Then the amount of compression and makeup gain are used to get the desired tone.

Getting a lot of sustain using a compressor this way can sound pretty unnatural. One way to fix this is to use parallel compression or a wet/dry mix if your compressor supports it. You can use a lot of compression, but then dial in the mix with the uncompressed guitar to maintain some dynamics, natural pick attack and still get the sustain.
  • jamsden
  • Tone King
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
The following user(s) said Thank You: ryentzer

Which software compressor plugin do you use? 1 month 3 weeks ago #17288

Exactly what Jamsden said except I use a different compressor. I was using the one within Presonus Studio One, but recently been using Klanghelm MJUC. Its super cheap at 24 Euros and works great.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
The following user(s) said Thank You: ryentzer

Which software compressor plugin do you use? 3 weeks 3 days ago #17426

I recently have been using UAD DBX160 or Precision Compressor. I have many projects with Antress compressor Blk. I alternatively use a hardware comp on the front end - a DBX MC6 often enough with a fast attack and immediate release - hard knee with a pretty high ratio. The threshold is pick-up dependent.
  • Rbh
  • Tone Master
Last Edit: 3 weeks 3 days ago by Rbh.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Which software compressor plugin do you use? 3 weeks 2 days ago #17429

Here's another great one that just came out:
dmgaudio.com/products_trackcomp.php

4 compressors in one...
  • jbraner
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
The following user(s) said Thank You: swaite

Which software compressor plugin do you use? 3 weeks 2 days ago #17431

...five compressors with the "DMG" model. Nice find, jbraner. The manual is practically a course in historical compression. Good that they released something more accessible than the Compassion compressor. The generated distortion of the various compressor models may be useful, but it's a separate thing from amplitude compression. The DMG model offers completely clean compression with S-curve options for different response feels. That's a really nice feature. The global side chain with EQ is useful if you just want to compress a certain part of the spectrum. FI, set a 500Hz~1kHz HPF so the upper-harmonic level is less affected by the stronger guitar note fundamentals. Try the inverse with a LPF as an experiment. I recently read that ~4:1 is a standard guitar compression ratio, but there are no pat rules.
  • GCKelloch
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Which software compressor plugin do you use? 3 weeks 2 days ago #17432

Only because I grew up as a guitar player using one, in Amplitube there's a MXR Dyna Comp-inspired compressor called the "DComp". Well, just for all the songs I play that call for a compressor, I simply use Amplitube 4. All the rest is S-gear.

Using it is kind of an acquired taste, as it sounds pretty "unnatural", but hey! That's the vibe I like.

"De gustibus non disputandum est"
- Gaius Iulius Caesar, Roman dictator
  • LtKojak
  • Tone King
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Which software compressor plugin do you use? 3 weeks 1 day ago #17435

The manual is practically a course in historical compression.

The manual is great! DMG plugs are really good ;)
  • jbraner
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Which software compressor plugin do you use? 1 week 2 days ago #17505

As mentioned, compression before the amp is pretty different (in sound and purpose) to compression after an amp. I've done more mixing than guitar playing (mostly I play keys!) and I can't recall adding compression to guitar during a mix very often. I'm sure it's done, it's just not an instrument I personally tended to compress much.

I use the Logic Pro compressors, as someone else said it's what I have!
  • Stokely
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Which software compressor plugin do you use? 1 week 2 days ago #17512

My favorites, more or less in order of preference:

Novatron by Kush (a clear winner in this category)
FetPressor by PSP Audioware (very much like the venerable Urei 1176, which is a big compliment)
MJUC by Klanghelm (a touch of analog warmth)
Pro-C2 by FabFilter (clean)
  • elambo
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Which software compressor plugin do you use? 1 week 2 days ago #17513

Stokely wrote:
As mentioned, compression before the amp is pretty different (in sound and purpose) to compression after an amp. I've done more mixing than guitar playing (mostly I play keys!) and I can't recall adding compression to guitar during a mix very often. I'm sure it's done, it's just not an instrument I personally tended to compress much.
Its usually not necessary to compress a guitar after the amp since most electric guitars are already compressed by amp distortion. If its a really clean guitar, compression before or after the amp will mostly do the same thing (since the path is linear) as long as the threshold is adjusted for the same amount of compression. Adding a compressor before distortion can be interesting and might contribute to a bit more sustain without having to saturate the amp as much.
  • jamsden
  • Tone King
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
The following user(s) said Thank You: fatherjacques, elambo

Which software compressor plugin do you use? 4 hours 51 minutes ago #17542

Here's another great compressor that was just made public. It's designed for guitars and comes from a company that's churning out excellent software gtr pedals.

www.kuassa.com/products/efektor-cp3603-compressor/
  • elambo
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds