TOPIC: Closed vs Open Headphones for Jamming

Closed vs Open Headphones for Jamming 3 weeks 17 hours ago #17035

Hi All

First post here. I've been using S-gear for the past few months and so far it's been great..

I only use S-gear for practice and jamming through headphones. It's either playing an amp by itself or playing along to a backing track. I don't do any recording.

With this in mind, assuming both headphones have the same drivers, is there a preference for open back or closed back headphones? And does this choice of open vs closed change if I decide to play along with backing tracks vs just an S-gear amp by itself? And does the choice vary depending on genre (say metal vs country, blues, clean etc)?

Isolation doesn't really matter for me, it's just whether open or closed back is the best choice. Not really looking for headphone recommendations just looking to identify which bucket I need to look in for the best headphones.

If there's any other headphone tips please do pass them on. :)

Many thanks
  • goostah
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Closed vs Open Headphones for Jamming 3 weeks 15 hours ago #17036

Hello,

Look at what they using in the major studios...this may just be of assistance?
  • mr-es335
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
The following user(s) said Thank You: goostah

Closed vs Open Headphones for Jamming 3 weeks 13 hours ago #17038

Open back headphones sound better. If you don't need isolation, keep it open. ;)

If you decide to go closed, the AudioTechnica ATH-M50s are excellent. Far and away the best bang-for-the-buck you're going to find in that market.

We use closed-back headphones in the isolation booths of our studios because we're almost always playing to a track which would bleed into the microphone. But with electric guitars, we're nearly always in the control room and not using headphones at all. With S-Gear there are never any phones. At home, at night, when the kids are sleeping, sure. But I choose the open back cans.
  • elambo
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
The following user(s) said Thank You: goostah

Closed vs Open Headphones for Jamming 1 week 3 days ago #17150

elambo wrote:
If you decide to go closed, the AudioTechnica ATH-M50s are excellent. Far and away the best bang-for-the-buck you're going to find in that market.

You are absolutely right.

But i will throw some others in the ring, which i find even more better, same price range: Yamaha MT7, loud and clear as fxxx. Give them a try!
  • joflo
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Closed vs Open Headphones for Jamming 1 day 19 hours ago #17231

Been trying to get a quality mid range set of studio cans that fit my big head. Just tried some Focals but they are too tight. Many ordering options online but would like to try on first and just do not have any opportunity to do so.

Good luck on your search!

Dave
  • DC42
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Closed vs Open Headphones for Jamming 1 day 16 hours ago #17233

Have sold ATH-M50X and got ATH-M40X. Way better cans in neutrality at lower price tag.
ATH-M50X sounded too scooped to my ears. They excel at casual music listening tho. Absolutely fantastic for that.

But I would look at ATH-M40X for studio monitoring and guitars playing.

How much 'openness' or 'air' do open headphones give compared to closed ones? I've never really heard them in action. Do they give somewhat more amp in the room feel?
  • mingury
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Closed vs Open Headphones for Jamming 1 day 1 hour ago #17250

Hi,

first of all - if you just practise and jam, you should not ask yourself if the headphones should be closed, semi-closed or open...it doesn´t matter and there are good and bad examples for all of these products.

I´m in no way a professional musician or studio guy, but a bit of a headphone addict and use them mostly for Hifi-Purposes. For S-Gear I really like the closed Beyerdynamic DT250 (250 Ohm) - "cheap" and damn great headphones. I don´t know the 80 Ohm ones, so can´t comment on them, but the 250Ohms are easy enough to drive so that one could use those directly plugged into a Laptop or interface and get great sound.

I would call them neutral with a good bass that doesn´t overpover and a great top end that´s not piercing your ears. Best part of these heaphones are the mids, those are really up front an very detailed and best of all - they can deliver the dirt...for Hifi-Use this ones are great for about every style of music and shine while listening to guitar stuff...for S-Gear this ones deliver great tones played clean and you fall in love when hitting your strings while playing through an overdriven, crunchy Marshall-style amp - at least, I do :-). The presentation of reverb is also really good.

I know the mentioned ATH-M50X from a friend and could test them a bit while listening to music (not with S-Gear) - I have to say, I wasn´t that impressed. Might be that those where not broken in enough, but a noticeable amount of details where lost because some of the bass frequencies bleeding into the mids. I can´t really understand the hype about that model - just my opinion, it might be wrong.

Hope it helps a bit - would be nice to get some more replies in this thread. I´m always interested in trying out new heaphones.
  • Hubert
  • Tone Star
Last Edit: 1 day 1 hour ago by Hubert.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Closed vs Open Headphones for Jamming 19 hours 48 minutes ago #17256

There is so many choices out there. Also nobody has the same taste when it comes to headphones. Most goodcompany have the own signature sound.

I used headphones for guitar playing since the introduction of modelers and I tried a lot of brands and type.

I became a AKG type of user. So I have AKG headphones fron the K240 to the K712 and the K712 is the best headphones I ever used. I do not have amp and can't use monitors for family reasons so I put my money on headphones Too much midrange is not necesserely a good thing too. You need headphones that will render a full mix like it should be heard.

Open back is my preference too.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Closed vs Open Headphones for Jamming 9 hours 51 minutes ago #17260

...up front was maybe the wrong description if you refer to my post - I´m from Germany, so I might not always use the right words to best describe something, sorry. Beyerdynamics 250s are overall neutral and are made for studio use as far as I know. They should not really colour a mix.

I had AKGs K-271 (old version made in Austria) and the Q701 with the gel pads of the K712. I wouldn´t recommend the K-271, sound is good, but there´s also cable sound and the cheap plastic housing makes noises. The Q701 with gel pads should be close to the K712. These headphones were somehow great and had a great bass response that went really low in the frequency range, but there was absolutely no slam. I didn´t try them with S-Gear.

And yeah...headphones have a lot to do with each ones taste. Neverending story... :)

Have a nice weekend!
  • Hubert
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
The following user(s) said Thank You: DC42
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds