TOPIC: HELP setting up a MIDI foot controller!!

HELP setting up a MIDI foot controller!! 4 years 5 months ago #15392

Hello everyone!

I bought a second hand Peak FCB2N MIDI footcontroller and don't quite understand how to use it. The unit is similar to a Tech21 MIDI Mouse. The instructions are hillarious (see attached)! If you understand them, can you please help me?

The unit turns on and I run through the Configuration Mode, the Factory Reset and all, but I can't understand how to achieve what I want to, which is to go UP and DOWN on presets of S-Gear for live use. Very simple... At least as a starting point, and then I could get more sophisticated if I can make it work first.

The Operation Mode didn't do anything. I am sure there is something I am missing in the steps/procedure, but don't really have a clue about how to do it.

I read the S-Gear manual, but I didn't find an example of how to setup this. Also, I don't understand the foot controller either, so am in trouble here, but any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks,

Francisco

Attachments:
  • asintoras
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by asintoras.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

HELP setting up a MIDI foot controller!! 4 years 5 months ago #15393

By the way, I did go to the Audio Confuguration setup, and the USB2.0-MIDI appears and it's turned ON.
I also tried the following:

What would be the next step?
Attachments:
  • asintoras
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

HELP setting up a MIDI foot controller!! 4 years 5 months ago #15401

First, what kind of computer are you using? PC or MAC? If PC, then get MIDI-OX and find out what the device is sending in factory reset mode. It's impossible to tell from the documentation - you're right, it's hilarious - how this thing works, so you'll basically need to reverse engineer it, which MIDI-OX will help you with. I'll be happy to help, but if you've got a MAC, I won't be able to since, as far as I know, there's nothing like MIDI-OX in the MAC world, but I could be wrong.

In either case, after you've installed MIDI-OX (or MAC equivalent), send it the range of messages in one preset, take screenshots and attach them. The basic requirement in S-Gear to do preset previous/next is that you need to be able to create a "MOMENTARY" CC - that's done by sending the same CC twice, once with an ON value (127) and once with OFF (0) with a single pedal press. After a quick look at the "Documentation" - still LMAO - I don't think it can be done.

Below is what it looks like in MIDI-OX, using an FCB1010 with UNO chip:

Each pair of entries is a single pedal press.
Attachments:
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

HELP setting up a MIDI foot controller!! 4 years 5 months ago #15402

It's a PC!Will download this MIDI-OX utility and will keep you posted later about my progress. Hope to sort it out soon.

Many thanks rd2rk!
  • asintoras
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

HELP setting up a MIDI foot controller!! 4 years 5 months ago #15408

OK. I installed MIDI-OX, but how do I use it?
I have a USB2.0-MMIDI cable, and the Peak unit only has an output MIDI, which is connected to the USB-MIDI cable adaptor, and the unit is turned on. I run through the configuration mode again just to see if something was happening, and will share some screenshots with you, so maybe you can tell me what is needed to finish this. Hope fully, I am on the right track!

PD: are you in the UK? If so, maybe we can have a chat over the phone or email, to make it quicker? Let me know. Just in case, my email is my username at gmail.com

Cheers,
Attachments:
  • asintoras
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

HELP setting up a MIDI foot controller!! 4 years 5 months ago #15409

For some reason, the MIDI-Out is off and I can't turn it on... Any advice on how to change this? I clicked on where it says Off but nothing changes.

Attachments:
  • asintoras
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

HELP setting up a MIDI foot controller!! 4 years 5 months ago #15414

OK... I feel so stupid!
It was just a matter of changing the cable, as initially, I put the MIDI Out cable connected to the Peak unit. As soon as I changed and connected the MIDI IN cable, everything worked. I was able to go up and down on presets, except that the INCREASE switch was going several steps instead of a single increment on every footstep.

Then, I thought: "OK, now I need to turn it off and turn it on again to make sure it will work live." Of course it didn't, and I was again in the weird loop trying to configure the goddamn thing!

Now, I know the device will work, but I need to program it to do what I want in a consistent manner. Again, any help would be very appreciated.
  • asintoras
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by asintoras.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

HELP setting up a MIDI foot controller!! 4 years 4 months ago #15441

Sounds like the way it works is that each preset, when selected, sends 2 Program Changes and 4 Control Changes at once. If so, do this (example):

Preset 1
Program Change1 = EMPTY
Program Change2 = EMPTY
Controller 1 = CC#124 Value 127
Controller 2 = CC#124 Value 000
Controller 3 = EMPTY
Controller 4 = EMPTY

Preset 2
Program Change1 = EMPTY
Program Change2 = EMPTY
Controller 1 = CC#125 Value 127
Controller 2 = CC#125 Value 000
Controller 3 = EMPTY
Controller 4 = EMPTY
With S-Gear set to Preset Down = CC#124 and Preset Up = CC#125, when you select preset 1 on your device you'll get Preset Down and preset 2 gives you Preset Up.
You can set all of your device's other presets to correspond to S-Gear Preset #s, and just use these presets for Up/Down.

How practical will this be for LIve Performance? If you were hoping to be able to jump to a specific preset, then move up or down from there, not very. Your alternatives are an FCB1010 with UNO and ControlCenter Editor for <$200, or a McMillen SoftStep for $400. With the FCB you can do a lot. With the McMillen you can do most anything, and it has a decent manual. There's other choices, but these two have editors and seem to me to be the best value. The FCB works fine for my purposes.

If you have questions, and can't get back to me tonight (Sunday in Colorado), I'll be on the road till Thursday. If you figure out how to set up your gadget as I described, I'll be interested in how it worked. Never know when I'll run into one of these things in the wild!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

HELP setting up a MIDI foot controller!! 4 years 4 months ago #15446

Hello,

I tried again from scratch using the default factory settings, and it worked OK using the presets UP and DOWN. I haven't tried yet something more sophisticated with those three buttons (I know it's possible), so that's on my TO DO list.

The way I want it to work is just to select different amps with specific speaker IR's (and some echo and reverb settings). I use one amp on each song, and if I need different sounds, I use my pedals (drive, echo, Phase90, etc.), so I am not thinking about switching to drastic different sounds whose presets are way apart from each other. They are all about 7 presets I made, one following the other, so it's not a big deal...

However, as this unit is similar to the Tech21 MIDI Mouse, I can go up and down until I get to the target preset, but only make it active by pressing on the middle switch, so will try that and your suggested settings.

And yes, I know there are better options out there, but my budget was extremely limited and I wanted something small and simple to fit on my current pedalboard, and this fit the bill perfectly (and it costed me £30!).

Thanks a lot for your help! Cheers,
  • asintoras
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

HELP setting up a MIDI foot controller!! 4 years 4 months ago #15453

You say up and down worked with the factory defaults? I'd be curious to see what it's actually sending. A screenshot of the MIDI in monitor in MIDI-OX would be great. Be sure to go into OPTIONS/DATA DISPLAY and uncheck the HEX settings, as I don't read HEX. Thanks!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 1.531 seconds