TOPIC: S-Gear not only for guitar

S-Gear not only for guitar 11 months 2 days ago #14605

Hey Guys,

just saw this video from Dave Pensado:

I've been using S-Gear for acoustic guitar with great success. I experimented with acoustic guitar sounds with the amp module activated. Also used the ProConvolver (without the amp activated) in Straight DI mode to be able to use the EQ section of it. Of course the chorus, reverb and delay modules are great for just about anything, not just acoustic guitars.
For the reverb module:
Most of the time, when mixing, I follow the tips of Fab Dupont by using 3 types of reverbs on 3 fx channels in my DAW. 1 room (he calls it "office"), 1 plate, 1 hall and send some (or even all) tracks to them on different levels in order to create a "real feeling" space.
The S-Gear reverb module is great for that too. Of course I have some dedicated reverb plugins from other manufacturers, just wanted to point out some other ways to use S-Gear.

Do you have any other tips? Maybe some experiences you've made by using S-Gear for other stuff that guitar?

Cheers,

Miki
  • tanarur
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear not only for guitar 11 months 2 days ago #14607

Sorry, this is the video:

• tanarur
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
The following user(s) said Thank You: ges

S-Gear not only for guitar 11 months 1 day ago #14608

True. I've used it on upright bass, vocals, cello, piano, rhodes, even voice over. Usually as an effect but sometimes just to add a little girth to the sound (rhodes, for instance).
  • elambo
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear not only for guitar 11 months 19 hours ago #14611

An note that there are a lot of very nice acoustic guitar body IRs out there that can be used with the Pro Convolver to help shape the dynamics of the tone. 3sigmaaudio.com has just introduced a new line of acoustic IRs that can be used with acoustic guitars with piezo pickups, or with electric guitars. These work great in S-Gear and significantly expand its range of uses.
  • jamsden
  • Tone King
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
The following user(s) said Thank You: jldelatorre

S-Gear not only for guitar 4 months 14 hours ago #15855

tanarur wrote:
Hey Guys,

just saw this video from Dave Pensado:

I've been using S-Gear for acoustic guitar with great success. I experimented with acoustic guitar sounds with the amp module activated. Also used the ProConvolver (without the amp activated) in Straight DI mode to be able to use the EQ section of it. Of course the chorus, reverb and delay modules are great for just about anything, not just acoustic guitars.
For the reverb module:
Most of the time, when mixing, I follow the tips of Fab Dupont by using 3 types of reverbs on 3 fx channels in my DAW. 1 room (he calls it "office"), 1 plate, 1 hall and send some (or even all) tracks to them on different levels in order to create a "real feeling" space.
The S-Gear reverb module is great for that too. Of course I have some dedicated reverb plugins from other manufacturers, just wanted to point out some other ways to use S-Gear.

Do you have any other tips? Maybe some experiences you've made by using S-Gear for other stuff that guitar?

Cheers,

Miki

Is using S-Gear in multiple instances to make use of the different modules for different purposes significantly more taxing to the computer than loading dedicated reverb plugins? I suppose it is a very broad question, but what is usually more desirable? I wouldn´t mind using S-Gear for most things...I love the amps, but the different "Things" are really good and useful. I usually like to learn a tool as much as possible before having to move to something else.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear not only for guitar 4 months 13 hours ago #15856

tanarur wrote:
Sorry, this is the video:

Video just blew my mind.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear not only for guitar 3 months 4 weeks ago #15865

Turn off the modules you don't need to alleviate CPU.

I gotta say: it never occurred to me use acoustic guitar body IR's for emulation. Learn something new...

It's definitely great to have several spaces in a mix to choose from. Try loading two instances of the same Room Thing preset in separate busses, and turn the Decay way down on one. You can then place instruments more forward or back within the same soundstage depending on the send levels to either instance.

I wouldn't necessarily go by the video. I understand that he was mixing with the dry signal, but it looks like he didn't spend any time setting up a preset, and I doubt he even knew about the amp Tweak options. Using the term to make a sound "pop" is also cliche and non specific. If everything pop'd equally, nothing would stand out...and those shoes and that hair, ayesh! ;) Seriously, I'm sure the man knows his stuff, but you'd do well to read the manual and make sure you understand how everything in S-Gear really affects the sound. Some parameters are interactive with others, so just playing with all the knobs will not produce expected results. How certain things interact can really only be understood through fully understanding each function.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear not only for guitar 3 months 4 weeks ago #15870

Well, I actually tried this for the first time yesterday. I loaded some acoustic guitar impulses freely available online of a Taylor captured with different mics. I tried the Guitar DI and the NY Studio presets. Both worked really well, but I used the NY Studio for the rest of the evening...sounded so lush! I just tried a few of the impulses, and it is amazing how much difference they make...Some made my guitar sound darker, others a bit brighter...some were good for fingerpicking but not for energetic strumming, while others worked better for the other way around.

I didn´t even get to as far as to what you wrote. I will surely try that as soon as possible! Only thing right now is that I use a Sony 2.1 speaker system (smallish but portable and good-sounding) and the stereo separation is not really there... No matter! I´ll probably end up getting a portable PA one day, just not right now.

Even so... I just tried a few IRs...and to me, some of them were different enough to consider them a different guitar. I can hardly wait to get more! I had an instance with an electric sound and another with the piezo treated separately. So much fun!

Huh, I see...this is why some warn of IR audition addiction...see you later, gents.
Last Edit: 3 months 4 weeks ago by jldelatorre.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear not only for guitar 3 months 4 weeks ago #15871

I have used S-Gear live with some acoustic IR's while playing classical guitar. I have a very nice AER Alpha acoustic amp, a very decent classical guitar with a LRBaggs passive transducer pickup (and a LRBaggs ParaDI). The ParaDI has two outputs, so one was directly into the amp, and the other was into my interface/laptop running S-Gear Cabs only, where I imported the IR.

It sounded fantastic!! Like a nice condenser mic was picking up every nuance of my playing. And don't forget that you also have those much better 3Sigmaaudio acoustic guitar impulses!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear not only for guitar 3 months 4 weeks ago #15875

asintoras wrote:
I have used S-Gear live with some acoustic IR's while playing classical guitar. I have a very nice AER Alpha acoustic amp, a very decent classical guitar with a LRBaggs passive transducer pickup (and a LRBaggs ParaDI). The ParaDI has two outputs, so one was directly into the amp, and the other was into my interface/laptop running S-Gear Cabs only, where I imported the IR.

It sounded fantastic!! Like a nice condenser mic was picking up every nuance of my playing. And don't forget that you also have those much better 3Sigmaaudio acoustic guitar impulses!

Would you mind sharing what IRs you use? I presume you play a nylon string if it's classical music?
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear not only for guitar 3 months 4 days ago #15984

Using 4x10 IR with Clean tweed for bass, and the hurricane preset and getting closer to a bass sound, anyone have a better idea?
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds