• Page:

TOPIC: S-Gear compared to AxefxII and Kemper

S-Gear compared to AxefxII and Kemper 2 years 4 months ago #9784

I won't regret it if I like it, but if Amplifire will get me there for $2000 less I'll have more money left! It won't bother me to spend $2500 on a rig that works for me. It's not a money thing. For what is all in the Fractal and Kemper it's actually a pretty good deal.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear compared to AxefxII and Kemper 2 years 4 months ago #9785

im with you... if the axe or kemper will be that usefull for someone, well live gigs and soo on... than the price tag for what it offers can't be put on the block list...

the amplifire can save you a few bucks for sure!!! just need to wait until they release it..

i dont think i need a kemper or axe fx.. but if one day i think i need, well then i will do some tests and buy the kemper and profile the axe fx.. 2 birds with only ..LOL just kiddin...

im happy with sgear... :gripped:
Life is music
and music is life.... live the life... and feel the music...
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear compared to AxefxII and Kemper 2 years 4 months ago #9786

I love S-Gear, I hope everyone is clear on that. It would be very un-cool to come on this site and talk up other stuff. I was hoping some of the people here would have the other units and offer some insight. It's a great time to be a guitar player...I feel like I live in an amusement park as it is!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear compared to AxefxII and Kemper 2 years 4 months ago #9787

no need to be ashamed...
i can see few advantages of the "hardware" units... for live gig..
some folks do use sgear live, but for that specific task some folks can fell more confartable with the hardware...

thats why some people would love to see a hardware sgear unit...
would be cool...
you have all the diferences between hardware and software for live use... but if you really need an hardware unit.. then go for it!
im with you on this, cause you already have an amazing studio tool.. in this case sgear!
Life is music
and music is life.... live the life... and feel the music...
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear compared to AxefxII and Kemper 2 years 4 months ago #9797

What about a MacBook Air, something like Apogee GiO (for simple audio and MIDI) and S-Gear - possibly using MainStage to add in the other effects, and create exactly the interface you want - including Logic Remote on an iPad. You probably have most of those parts already for your recording. And it will require the same FRFR on the backend as Amplifire.

I got a POD HD500X to replace the Apogee GiO, to get some front of the amp effects from the POD, and more footswitches into MainStage - as well as the flexibility to use the POD by itself with useful enough tones. And I have a Variax 700 Acoustic that I use a lot - that pushed me to the HD500X.

I'm not entirely comfortable with a laptop in a live gigging situation, but a lot of people do it. I've tried it a couple of times with no real problems. The primary issues are 1) having a good, secure place/stand to put the computer and 2) no physical knobs for easy live tweeting. The iPad with Logic Remote could help - I have to have one for SongBook and the set list anyway. But its one more thing to deal with during setup.
  • jamsden
  • Tone King
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear compared to AxefxII and Kemper 2 weeks 1 day ago #15923

I have a Kemper. Been trying to get a good Holdsworth lead tone, but I'm not that impressed with those available for the Kemper.
Then I heard these on S Gear as per youtube below
I'm very impressed.
So I've downloaded the S-Gear free trial for Mac.
I just need to get it configured to work !
Help !
  • Pobinr
  • Tone Star
Last Edit: 2 weeks 1 day ago by Pobinr.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear compared to AxefxII and Kemper 1 week 23 hours ago #15981

To update some of my previous opinions...
I have sold all hardware modelers. S-Gear (for my recording needs) sounds as good as anything made by Fractal, Line 6 or Atomic.
For live use I have bought a Roland Blues Cube Artist, and a few nice pedals.
I'm happy for now...Looking forward to S-Gear 3.0!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear compared to AxefxII and Kemper 1 day 3 hours ago #16052

jamsden wrote:
I'm not entirely comfortable with a laptop in a live gigging situation, but a lot of people do it.

yup, I'm one of them :cheer:

I've moved from a pure hardware setup (two keyboards, AxeFX, MIDI switch) to a very slim and setup-friendly all-VST rig. Just one master keyboard (in a pinch, I can also work with any 88 keys MIDI board available on-site), some foot pedals and a laptop plus audio interface with Cantabile as the host software - and of course a guitar ;-). Haven't looked back!

The flexibility is tremendous, and I haven't had any stability issues with this rig yet. And of course, my guitar amp is S-Gear all the way...

If you head over to the nice folks at community.cantabilesoftware.com, you'll find a number of all-VST musicians who are happy to share and help...

Cheers,

Torsten
  • ToH2002
  • Tone Star
Last Edit: 1 day 3 hours ago by ToH2002.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear compared to AxefxII and Kemper 1 day 1 hour ago #16054

Having a handicapped child I was forced to use modelers or similar units since their introduction. So I have tried them all .

The last one I tried was last week. It was the KEMPER. I got it in a trade for a guitar and thought I should give a try. Well I tried it for 1/2 hour LOL!. Don't take me wrong. It is a great unit but for really not what I need. It had most of Michael Britt and Top Jimi profiles etc... You know having to go through 587 profiles was not for me LOL!

There is no right or wrong now. Bad products would not survive. Many users will have several software or hardware solutions now.

At the end I think it depends of your needs. I play only at home and mostly with headphones. So I do not need a hardware unit or to be able to program sets etc.. All I need is a good sound and feel.

So S-Gear is perfect for me. I also use Mercurial for one type of sound and even there I use S-Gear effects. And it is not because it is cheap because I have ALL other softwares available on the market. So my set-up is pretty simple but I invested as much as for a high end hardware unit but for my needs only.

Apogee Element 46 (Mainly becaus it has two headphones out)
AKG K712 headphones
FCB 1010
Yamaha Monitors.

S-Gear and Mercurial Spark for amps software and Logic X for DAW. IMAC late 2012 for computer.
Last Edit: 21 hours 41 minutes ago by fatherjacques.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear compared to AxefxII and Kemper 1 day 4 minutes ago #16055

i cant get out of my head the AX8 so i think that would be my next buy,i really love S-Gear but i want to give it a try to the AX8 :rock out:
  • NightWalker
  • Tone Star
  • Live Your Life
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear compared to AxefxII and Kemper 21 hours 48 minutes ago #16056

The AX8, Helix, and Amplifire are all top tier stuff. I'm really glad I got to try them all over the last year. If you get the AX8 be sure and try those Carol Ann amps. Those were my favorite.
Last Edit: 21 hours 48 minutes ago by clintmartin.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear compared to AxefxII and Kemper 21 hours 9 minutes ago #16058

fatherjacques wrote:
Having a handicapped child I was forced to use modelers or similar units since their introduction. So I have tried them all .

The last one I tried was last week. It was the KEMPER. I got it in a trade for a guitar and thought I should give a try. Well I tried it for 1/2 hour LOL!. Don't take me wrong. It is a great unit but for really not what I need. It had most of Michael Britt and Top Jimi profiles etc... You know having to go through 587 profiles was not for me LOL!

There is no right or wrong now. Bad products would not survive. Many users will have several software or hardware solutions now.

At the end I think it depends of your needs. I play only at home and mostly with headphones. So I do not need a hardware unit or to be able to program sets etc.. All I need is a good sound and feel.

So S-Gear is perfect for me. I also use Mercurial for one type of sound and even there I use S-Gear effects. And it is not because it is cheap because I have ALL other softwares available on the market. So my set-up is pretty simple but I invested as much as for a high end hardware unit but for my needs only.

Apogee Element 46 (Mainly becaus it has two headphones out)
AKG K712 headphones
FCB 1010
Yamaha Monitors.

S-Gear and Mercurial Spark for amps software and Logic X for DAW. IMAC late 2012 for computer.

Interesting FJ. I find I use Sgear exclusively but go to Spark if I can't dial in a tone with SGear. I use Reaper as a DAW and a Steinberg UR-22 as my interface
  • Psace
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds