• Page:

TOPIC: Alternate controlling pedals for s-gear ?

Re: Alternate controlling pedals for s-gear ? 8 years 4 months ago #878

I use the Keith McMillen SoftStep foot controller for a while, you should try it :
www.keithmcmillen.com/softstep/overview
:)
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Re: Alternate controlling pedals for s-gear ? 8 years 4 months ago #879

I purchased the Softstep when it was first released with the midi expander but Keith McMillen could not get it to talk to my Axe-Fx Ultra so I returned it. How daunting a task is it to control S-Gear with it, the size and weight plus concept were very nice. Are you using it to just change patches or have you assigned the pedal to control via midi, ie. boost, turn delay on / off, etc. Thanks.
Scott
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Re: Alternate controlling pedals for s-gear ? 8 years 4 months ago #892

Patch preset changes and multiple instances of volume dist amount changes. In guitar rig I used to coneec the pedal to several front panel knobs, such as input gain, master volume and a few of the eq things. Crucial thing is that you could se the travel of each knob indepently. So not all knobs went from zero to ten all of the time whn goign from heel to toe position on the pedal. Then I mimicked the volume on the guitar thing. I e when playing a clean totally undistortedt sound at heel position the EQ where different, and then as one raised the distortion when pressing down to toe position, the overall volume and EQ changed accordingly.

I e seamless travel between totally clean sound and totally distorted and anything in between, within ONE patch, which made that you could keep one patch for super clean and super distorted all of the time if you'd like. The super-clean at heel postion was also EQd to have a scooped treble and bass sound, and then halfway it sounded half cranked, and when on full dist, (toe position) it had more mids, and treble turned down. Creamy distortion. In fact that was the only thing I ended up using guitar rig for, as time went by.

That's what I would like a controller to do with S-gear. Also, later on, connecting it to a wah pedal (or really wah simulation) too, if that comes around.
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Eriksson.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Re: Alternate controlling pedals for s-gear ? 8 years 4 months ago #893

Avek wrote:

I use the Keith McMillen SoftStep foot controller for a while, you should try it :
www.keithmcmillen.com/softstep/overview
:)

I've seen that one, but really, I want a full travel wah-volume like pedal (or expression, really) which I can step upon with my whole sole (!?). :)
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Re: Alternate controlling pedals for s-gear ? 8 years 4 months ago #950

Can't you use this line6.com/footcontrollers/fbvshortboardmkii.html as a controller for S-Gear?
  • hobbystuff
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Re: Alternate controlling pedals for s-gear ? 8 years 4 months ago #953

A bit too big. And those are always optimized towards their own software. I would like to have third party floorboards, that are OEM, or open ended towards any software you're using.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Re: Alternate controlling pedals for s-gear ? 8 years 4 months ago #974

Hi guys, Has anyone out there managed to get an Apogee Gio to talk to S Gear either as a stand alone or as a plug in through Logic or Mainstage? the Gio is a midi controller so should be able to learn how to talk to S Gear, but I can't seem to be able to do this. I admit that I'm not very experienced with Midi controllers and devices ....so if anyone out there can help talk me through this in a language I an understand..I would be eternally grateful....I just want to use this great sim LIVE..
  • Jon Bonar-Philpotts
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Re: Alternate controlling pedals for s-gear ? 8 years 3 months ago #982

Hi all,

Does anyone know what MIDI messages are transmitted by the GIO???

I was trying to find some information on this to assist Jonathan (see previous post) with regards to controlling S-Gear via standard MIDI messages. Then GIO manual contains no information about what MIDI messages are sent. The only thing I could find online was this apple documentation page , which tells us that the expression pedal transmits on MIDI CC 11.

Maybe the Mainstage control route is the only solution with the GIO?

Any help appreciated.

Mike.
  • mike
  • Administrator
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by mike.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Re: Alternate controlling pedals for s-gear ? 8 years 3 months ago #986

OK,

So according to the GIO controller template in logic, the MIDI messages sent are as follows:

Effect 1 CC 25
Effect 2 CC 26
Effect 3 CC 27
Effect 4 CC 28
Effect 5 CC 29

Rewind CC 20
Play CC 21
FF CC 23
Zero CC 24

Previous CC 30
Next CC 31

These are all CONTROL CHANGE messages where switch pressed sends 127 and switch released sends 0. The problem is that these are non-latching and there doesn't seem to be any way to change this... anyone? If the above functionality is fixed then this is not much use for controlling S-Gear directly.

I don't have a GIO so this is all guesswork.
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Re: Alternate controlling pedals for s-gear ? 8 years 3 months ago #1009

What about one of these? Looks great I'm thinking of gettting one and trying it out...will let you know how it goes.

line6.com/footcontrollers/fbvexpressmkii.html
  • flyingkiwi69
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Re: Alternate controlling pedals for s-gear ? 8 years 3 months ago #1012

flyingkiwi69 wrote:

What about one of these? Looks great I'm thinking of gettting one and trying it out...will let you know how it goes.

line6.com/footcontrollers/fbvexpressmkii.html
Looks great for $99, but it seems like it is doesn't include an audio interface? :unsure:
A neat and robust (and programmable!) pedal like this, WITH a decent audio interface - that would be perfect for use with S-Gear.

M.
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Re: Alternate controlling pedals for s-gear ? 8 years 3 months ago #1017

No, the only picture where you can see "all around" are at THOMANN germany:

www.thomann.de/se/line6_fbv_express_usb.htm

No audio interface at all. So to speak. Good IMHO.
Rotate the pictures, no tele jack audio input anywhere. According to the manual you have to plug your guitar in elsewhere, which is just GREAT by my standards, if you have read my other rants about having the guitar wire get stuck between the wah/vol pedal. Now, it can be out of the way. It's JUST a controller, but I think moderatly pride and does what it does. Funny thing with the built in tuner though. The signal must somehow send something back to the pedal via either the USB cable or RJ45 socket.

In the end, it sure will work well with others, but I can't think of anything else that it is ailored and "most functional" with Line6 own piece of gear and software.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Re: Alternate controlling pedals for s-gear ? 8 years 3 months ago #1028

But in the end, it takes up one extra - and uneccessary - USB space or IO/Interrupt on your mac/pc. Since you still have to use another one as you audio card, which probably is of USB/FW anyway. And me who still uses Guitar Rig 4 AND the old controller KONTROL 1 which has just a CV voltage send on output. Annoys the *** out of people when they hear that buzzing tone. PLUS, on top of that, it always takes up TWO analog inputs on your soundcard! But it has become a little dodgy throughout the years, and battery clips and switches and contacts starts to turn loose. But it will NEVER load the PC with USB/FW at all. And it has four switches and a pedal just like the line6 one.

The thing is, that with a pedal like this, you could - actually - let any converted signal from USB to MIDI pass through your regular Audio card provided it has MIDI through connection and control older MIDI gear effects too. A little unwieldy to bring out live, since you have to take your soundcard AND PC/MAC with you as well.

But anyway, it's just a pedal like this, with four buttons and an expression pedal and tuner, that would come from a third party - or generic - company. That does not have any legacy in amps or any software. And as new software are developed, (new amp sims) add on firmware or software should become available as they go along. As for now, when updating anything there's no denial what Line6 should think of fixing first and foremost.
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Eriksson. Reason: sp check added comment
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Re: Alternate controlling pedals for s-gear ? 8 years 3 weeks ago #1393

Hey Avek,

I can see you're using the Softstep.
I keep going back to that option, but there is a major question that needs to be clarified for me, I hope you can help.

So here it is:
I want to have the Softstep to control stomp box on/off.
This can be done with a "foot on control"(I think that's how they call it), right?
So let's say that I mapped a few buttons on the Softstep to do the above, but I also want one other parameter on the stomp boxes to be controlled by the same buttons but with a different command, like up/down. Example: I map button 1 to switch the delay on/off and then assign the up/down command ON THE SAME BUTTON to control the delay dry/wet parameter.

My question is: (sorry I can only describe it with an example again)
So I turn on my delay and then later I also add an overdrive to it.
Now at one point I want to go back to the delay (which is still on) and change the delay dry/wet parameter. (with the same button as the delay on/off, cos I programmed it that way in the above description)
Now in theory if I step on the button and want to start moving my foot up and down to change the dry/wet it will first turn the delay off, cos it first senses my "foot on command".
So there is no way for me to simply use the above configuration without having to turn the delay (which was originally on) back on and then move my foot while is still resting on that same button.
Is that really working this way? Have you even tried this?
Thank you for your reply in advance!
Cheers
Miki
  • tanarur
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Re: Alternate controlling pedals for s-gear ? 7 years 5 months ago #3307

So finally how was the Line6 FBV Express USB?
i was thinking of getting it, i am using NI Guitar Rig Session USB Audio interface, so if it lets me do the wah or the vol with the pedal and lets me do dist and delay on off with the other switches, it would suffice.

Any suggestions?
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Re: Alternate controlling pedals for s-gear ? 7 years 5 months ago #3309

SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Re: Alternate controlling pedals for s-gear ? 7 years 5 months ago #3313

I am using the Line6 Shortboard MkII with S-Gear. Works fine.
  • richpjr
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Re: Alternate controlling pedals for s-gear ? 7 years 5 months ago #3318

Line6 MKII Shortboards works fantastic. I picked one up on Ebay for $120. The build quality is all metal with really solid metal footswitches. Its powered by a single USB cable and its totally programmable with their software app.

Its great because you can make such button work as a latch, or momentary switch etc. Likewise, you can input the range of the expression pedal etc, for example, 0-127 might be too wide of range, 0-55 might be better if you want finer control over the lowered end of a parameter, for example a Univibe where you don't want full speed.

They have the even cheaper EXpress ones too, which are only $99 new, but they have only 4 switches and they aren't the same metal construction. spend a few bucks more and get the bigger shortboard, much better bang for the buck
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Re: Alternate controlling pedals for s-gear ? 7 years 5 months ago #3324

Hi!
I'm using a Roland FC-300 which normally is a quite expensive pedal, but I was lucky enough to pick one up for less then half prize.
The great thing about it is, that is amazingly expandable with footswitches and expression pedals.
It also has 4 modes (actually 3 that are really useable)
1. PC mode
2. CC mode
3. Patch mode

1. is useful if you have all your different sounds stored as separate presets and you dont want to switch things on and off within the same preset. However, it is also doable since there are 2 CTRL pedals on the board which can be set up to send CC's even in this PC (program change) mode.
Also the 2 exp. pedals and the 2 switches underneath them can be set up to send different CC's.

2. It is like the stomp box mode on the Behringer FCB 1010 with the UNO upgrade.
All the switches + pedals on the board can send one CC each. There are of course momentary and latch modes. Even Midi Play/stop/Pause/rewind etc. messages can be set up.
There is one more neat thing about them. There are 5 normal pedals with A/B modes, so alltogether 10 cc'S an be set up + the 2 CTRL pedals + 2 expression pedals + 2 exp. switches.
If we call this a set of CC's then you have 16 CC's in one set.
Then you can set up 5 sets max. I used to use this feature when I wanted to test Mainstage or RAX3 with my pedalboard. Then I used set #1 for S-Gear. I then set up different types of messages for Mainstage and stored them as set#2. THis way my S-Gear pedalboard setup remained untouched.

3. this mode is a bit more complicated, so I'm not going to go in details. It is simply a mode where you can have 1 pedal to send more than 1 MIDI message at the same time. So if you wanted to turn on the bass switch + the delay on and the Room thing off at the same time then you can use this for that. There are probably a number of different way you can use this mode, I personally haven't used it that much just yet.

I hope this gives you an idea. :)

CHeers,
Miki
  • tanarur
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Re: Alternate controlling pedals for s-gear ? 7 years 5 months ago #3326

I would love to have - actually - the functions of the Guitar Rig controller pedal. That expression pedal where you can put it in as many instances as possible. When pressing down that pedaly gradually, I could go SEAMLESS from super clean sound on any amp towards total mayhem distortion and everything in between. I e when it turned up some gain, it turned down the master output, or just turned it up a tiny bit AT THE SAME TIME as adjusting all EQ knobs accordingly - say - from going to a scooped loudness clean sound with much bass and treble and no mids, and when hitting it towards high gain, it ended up like more MIDDLE than anything else.

When the pedal was in heel position, you could as well - at the same time - have a little more delay and reverb mix, and when you raised the gain towards toe position, the wet/dry mix level decreased, while everything else increased. This was a very neat and handy feature, and could very well replace the onboard guitar volume, so you can leave your fingers at playing mode.

---

With a regular MIDI foot Expression pedal, you have to assign CC values to each knob, and they can only be one at one position. You can't assign multiple cc values controlled by the same controller to many function. The expression pedal is one controller, and one cc only.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds