TOPIC: Anyone tried S-Gear in Linux?

Anyone tried S-Gear in Linux? 7 years 4 months ago #5492

Just wondering how well it does there. Maybe with WINE? I tried a search but nuthin.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Re: Anyone tried S-Gear in Linux? 7 years 4 months ago #5493

I once tried with wine indeed but ran into issues with the licensing system sgear uses and have not retried/ pursued again.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Re: Anyone tried S-Gear in Linux? 7 years 4 months ago #5496

geoffsct wrote:

Just wondering how well it does there. Maybe with WINE? I tried a search but nuthin.
This (quite old) thread has some more info. Bukka managed to get S-Gear working under WINE, but according to his comments, it required more than just a plain installation.
www.scuffhamamps.com/forum/8-wishlist/188-linux-version-please

If any WINE experts have time to look at this, then it might also yield a solution for anyone wishing to use the MUSE system. I'm afraid I have not had any time to look at this, and am not a Linux expert.

Cheers,
Mike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bukka
  • mike
  • Administrator
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by mike.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Re: Anyone tried S-Gear in Linux? 5 years 2 weeks ago #12823

Bumping this old thread so all the relevant info will be in one place -- has anyone gotten S-Gear to work using Wine? I'm trying Linux for the first time (dual-booting Ubuntu with Windows 8.1), and it's been pretty easy so far. I even got Reaper, WineASIO, and some free vsts to work with Wine, although I haven't gotten the interface configured right yet. When I try to load the S-Gear vst, I get a license error code 9:100. Any ideas?
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Anyone tried S-Gear in Linux? 4 months 1 week ago #22101

Hi. I'd written a post yesterday in another topic here:
https://www.scuffhamamps.com/forum/8-wishlist/188-linux-version-please#22099
I installed and ran S-Gear perfectly on linux. Licensing was flawless.
Copying the post below:

Hi all. Although I'm a veteran S-Gear user, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post... To this outdated topic :)
I had to abandon S-Gear some time ago because the Mac system I used was old (Snow Leopard), just like S-Gear, all audio applications dropped updates for it so I had to move on to Linux. After that I've been using ios applications for guitar modelling, which are nowadays fantastic by the way but not as versatile as S-Gear. Until today...
I had tried to run up to date version of S-Gear before, and couldn't succeed. I guess wine support for Windows 8 to 10 apps still lack something.
Today I managed to install and run old version S-Gear v2.50 successfully on a Linux Mint 20 system. Everything worked fine. Graphics are sleek, sound quality is great with full jack support and low latency (wineasio connects to jack automatically at startup if jack is running). Version is wine-4.0 and wineasio is installed using KXStudio reps. Running in Win 7 mode.
By the way, I installed S-Gear v2.50 64bit vst to the system with linvst and this is successful too. I ran it in Ardour and Waveform11; and no problem at all.
The next thing for me is to update the app slowly (first to v2.51, then to v2.71, checking which version runs best (I keep old setups luckily), and maybe (I hope someday) I'll manage to run the up to date version eventually.
And again; native linux support would be great for S-Gear.
By the way, v2.71 installs and works just as perfect. I forgot to mention; winetricks should be installed and using it some windows fonts should be installed; or else no text will be shown on the app. I guess installing arial may be enough.
I also tried the app using wine 5.0 on another pc with Linux Mint 20. Runs just as smooth as in wine 4.0.
  • michotakis
  • Tone Seeker
Last edit: 4 months 1 week ago by michotakis.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds