TOPIC: Exporting S-Gear with Tonex...

Exporting S-Gear with Tonex... 2 weeks 6 days ago #24552

Hi all! I am very happy to join the S-Gear community. This is my first post here, but I am an old fart... I've been playing guitar for over 50 years now, mostly lead... Anyway, all this to say that although I've been hearing of S-Gear for a few years now, I just realized, a few days ago, after having downloaded the trial version that this piece of software is in a league of its own...

For many years, I'd been looking for an "in-the-box solution" for simplicity and convenience as far as reamping goes. I tried Overloud TH, Amplitube, NI Guitar Rig, Bias Amp and I've been disappointed with all of them out of the box. I could get decent sounds with quite a bit of tweaking, but still... I finally decided, 3 years ago, to buy external hardware, a Fractal AX8 which I like very much; however, it does not offer the convenience of an in-the-box solution. More recently, I decided to give S-Gear a chance and wow! It is night and day compared to all the others listed above. So I just acquired a license today! For the first time, I could get a great sound out of the box; all that is required of me is to decide if I want this already great sound to have more or less distortion, a slightly different EQ if needed... normal stuff... This software produces great sounds by default! This is a first as far as I am concerned.

I found it so good in fact that I wish I could bring these sounds with me outside of the studio. I found an old interview with Mike; at the end of it, he mentioned plans for a hardware solution. Maybe this project was abandoned because I could not find any other information about that. Using a laptop is not a viable solution for me.

IK Multimedia has just launched their Tonex pedal/environment, so I am considering getting one to be able to create multiple profiles of my favorite S-Gear sounds and export them into the pedal for gigging. Is anyone else thinking of doing something similar, or is it just me?
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Exporting S-Gear with Tonex... 2 weeks 6 days ago #24553

Welcome to the forum. You are not alone. I use S GEAR since its introduction and nothing compares.

However I bought the TONEX pedal mainly to get the Studio Rat Matchless profile LOL!

I will also try to capture my preferred presets so I can bring just the TONEX and a pair of headphones when I go somewhere. I do not have a laptop....

Stay tuned...
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone King
Last edit: 2 weeks 5 days ago by fatherjacques.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Exporting S-Gear with Tonex... 2 weeks 6 days ago #24554

Thanks! Looking forward to hear about your experience with the TONEX pedal and S-Gear.

I'll admit that I also find the Joe Bonamassa's Dumble ODS profiles in TONEX quite intriguing :P

Cheers!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Exporting S-Gear with Tonex... 2 weeks 5 days ago #24558

Hi all,

1st post!
I’ve been thinking about the same thing from a how take take S-Gear live without having a laptop out there (theft, fragility, etc…).

My 1st draft was using Tonex to capture S-Gear sounds I have created and putting them in the Tonex pedal… and then maybe using an HX Effects unit I have as either a) just as a midi control with more foot switches than the Tonex pedal, and b) I might add an expression pedal and try the odd effect from HX as well.
The Tonex pedal has some basic onboard controls to edit out any room issues etc…

This should add up to a laptop free live rig with S-Gear sounds, limited tap dancing, and the ability to add the odd effect on top if needed.

Cheers.

(I too fancied the Tonex for that Matchless capture)

Forgot to add about how *** outstanding *** S-Gear is…
Last edit: 2 weeks 5 days ago by paulyboo.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Exporting S-Gear with Tonex... 2 weeks 5 days ago #24561

I just got a Tonex pedal and am very impressed. I use S-Gear in the studio (my #1 go to over various Neural DSP amps and Helix Native). I think between Tonex and S-Gear I am done tone searching for DAW use. I don't see how it could get much better!

I haven't tried capturing S-Gear into Tonex as I'm not gigging until I can play outdoor gigs (I'm in the rainy Pacific Northwest). But that would be a great combo. And Helix Stomp or HX FX would be a fantastic combo for live use. I tried gigging several times using a laptop with S-Gear and Gig Performer. I never enjoyed the experience of relying on a computer for live performance, and always went back to hardware/pedals/etc.
  • soundog
  • Tone Master
www.johnplainsong.com
Newest album "Strange Tales" now available! S-Gear used throughout the production.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Exporting S-Gear with Tonex... 2 weeks 5 days ago #24563

I haven't thought of doing this, mainly because both are software and at times where I'd want an S-Gear sound I just open S-Gear instead of Tonex. Just thinking about the routing, does Tonex allow you to patch into another plugin? I've created profiles in Tonex but only of hardware amps.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Exporting S-Gear with Tonex... 2 weeks 5 days ago #24564

@Soundog, I’m with you. Even though S-Gear has NEVER crashed or glitched on me, I just can’t get comfy with the thought of a laptop on a stage and I was trying top think of other options…

@elambo, the only reason for doing this is for gigs where I don’t want to take a laptop… the Tonex pedal seemed like it could be an answer to the illusion hardware option for S-Gear. Some folks have captured VSTs on Tonex so there must be such a routing option.
Last edit: 2 weeks 5 days ago by paulyboo.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Exporting S-Gear with Tonex... 2 weeks 5 days ago #24565

I haven't had my Tonex stuff long enough to try playing around with captures, so I'm not sure how capturing a guitar sim would work. Folks capture stomp boxes, though, so it must entail Tonex sending a series of signals and recording the output, then generating the tone model. If it can send a tone through a stomp box to create a model, it could send it through a plug-in with the proper routing via an audio interface, I think.
  • soundog
  • Tone Master
www.johnplainsong.com
Newest album "Strange Tales" now available! S-Gear used throughout the production.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Exporting S-Gear with Tonex... 2 weeks 2 days ago #24567

Pure speculation, but I’m predicting an update for Tonex software to capture Amplitube rigs, as Tonex can run in Amplitube. Unfortunately, I suspect it will be proprietary and not allow third party amp modelers.
In my opinion, S-Gear is a better modeler than Amplitube. Tonex is an amp profiler, and does a pretty decent job. But profiling and modeling are two very different techniques.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Exporting S-Gear with Tonex... 2 weeks 2 days ago #24568

Agreed. And that's why capturing S-Gear in Tonex may be silly . You would only be capturing one set of parameter settings., and would lose most of the flexibility built into S-Gear as far as tweaking tones to perfection. You would lose all the delay and reverb stuff! And overdrive. And soon-to-come compressor. Etc. Still, its worth some experimentation.

For playing live, I'll use either the Tonex pedal + HX Stomp, or (*shudder*) a laptop running Gig Performer + Tonex/S-Gear/Native. I'll cross that neck and bridge when I come to it.

UPDATE: I successfully captured S-Gear and exported the capture to a Tonex pedal. It sounds great and sound identical, so this method would be a viable solution for playing S-Gear live without a laptop. You would, of course need to add any pre- (eg fuzz,OD, distortion) or post- (eg delay) pedals if desired. The capture is amp+cab only.
  • soundog
  • Tone Master
www.johnplainsong.com
Last edit: 1 week 2 days ago by soundog.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Exporting S-Gear with Tonex... 2 weeks 2 days ago #24572

paulyboo wrote:

@elambo, the only reason for doing this is for gigs where I don’t want to take a laptop… the Tonex pedal seemed like it could be an answer to the illusion hardware option for S-Gear.

I see. In that case, yes, a portable capture would make sense. I'm sure it can be done.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Exporting S-Gear with Tonex... 1 week 6 days ago #24595

soundog wrote:

For playing live, I'll use either the Tonex pedal + HX Stomp, or (*shudder*) a laptop running Gig Performer + Tonex/S-Gear/Native. I'll cross that neck and bridge when I come to it.

Fear not - it's not really painful. I've been performing "in the box" for the last couple of years, and I'm not looking back! Mind you, I'm using Cantabile instead of GigPerformer, but that's personal preference.

I have all my keyboard and guitar sound inside Cantabile, and it's a completely different and positive experience, having all sounds pre-configured for my songs - no need for tap-dancing on a complex pedalboard; I simply use one switching pedal to step from one setting to the next within a song - great to be able to concentrate fully on playing my guitar. And the sound is impeccable (once you get used to the "mic'ed amp" sound instead of the "amp in the room").

Of course, I do carry a fully configured backup laptop / mini PC in case something goes horribly wrong - simply unplug the main one and plug in the backup - boot up and play... But I haven't yet had to activate the backup. And I haven't heard of anyone frying a tube/valve in their laptop ;-)

It does take some courage (and some nerdiness) to make the change, but the grass is green and sweet on the other side ;-)

Cheers,

Torsten
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Exporting S-Gear with Tonex... 1 week 4 days ago #24599

Thanks, and yeah ... I've gigged with Gig Performer (i.e. Cantable) several times. I don't want to make it sound like a scary thing! As you know, the benefits are enormous, especially for Hammond B3 players. :) I think I was in the middle of a lot of stuff at the time and didn't have time to denote to a smooth transition. The rig I was moving towards was a midi mixer (for mixing audio and tweaking reverb/delay levels) with midi foot switches (for switching presets when hands were full with an instrument). I loved the ability to use a plethora of AU and VST plugins...
  • soundog
  • Tone Master
www.johnplainsong.com
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Exporting S-Gear with Tonex... 1 week 1 day ago #24606

What method did you use to capture?

I found this for PC users. On a MAC I use LOOPBACK but did not try yet

• fatherjacques
  • Tone King
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Exporting S-Gear with Tonex... 1 week 1 day ago #24607

I simply used the Virtual ins/outs on an Apollo Twin audio interface on Mac (Loopback or Audio Hijack not required):
Apollo HiZ —> Tonex guitar in
Virtual 1 out of Tonex —> S-Gear input
Virtual 2 out of S-Gear —> Tonex in from S-Gear
Tonex monitors out —- Mon L & Mon R

I did mono out (one mic) from S-Gear. But stereo would just use another Virtual in/out. Any audio interface with virtual ports should work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fatherjacques
  • soundog
  • Tone Master
www.johnplainsong.com
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Exporting S-Gear with Tonex... 1 week 1 day ago #24608

Unfortunately I have an Apogee Element. I tried with loopback but there is something I do not understand about how to use Loopback because it does not work :-(
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone King
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Exporting S-Gear with Tonex... 1 week 1 day ago #24609

fatherjacques wrote:

Unfortunately I have an Apogee Element. I tried with loopback but there is something I do not understand about how to use Loopback because it does not work :-(

Did you contact Rogue Amoeba support? I assume you mean Rogue Amoeba's 'Loopback' software program? I have the program too...just got it last week.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Exporting S-Gear with Tonex... 1 week 18 hours ago #24612

I do not think I will. It was more a curiosity for me. I am very happy using S Gear as a Plug-in but was wondering how it would sound as a capture in my Tonex pedal.
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone King
Last edit: 1 week 18 hours ago by fatherjacques.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Exporting S-Gear with Tonex... 1 week 16 hours ago #24613

I did it out of curiosity also, and to see if I could figure out how to get it to work. When it all came together it was almost frightening because it was like voodoo. I just did one test run, though. Why?

There are plenty of amazing amps already available with Tonex Max and on ToneNet. I don't need to to make captures. The only use case I can see is for someone like the OP who already owns S-Gear and really wants the tones for gigging, but doesn't want to use a laptop with a plugin host. I especially wouldn't S-Gear tone models popping up on Tone Net.! That seems wrong. It would be like proliferating knock-off copies of a Picasso.
  • soundog
  • Tone Master
www.johnplainsong.com
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Exporting S-Gear with Tonex... 1 week 12 hours ago #24615

I agree with you. If never I do capture S Gear I won't upload on TONE NET. I bought the pedal because I had a lot of Jam points accumulated + 100$ rebate. I could use up to 30% of the original cost in Jam points...

This technology is not as good as a good modeling software. It makes sense if You need a kind of snapshot of your amp settings to use in a portable solution.

In a capture with an IR I see a problem where most of the iRS used by the contributors are probably PAID IRS and I think they should not be uploaded. Same with a software capture or even a hardware capture like Fractal Audio or Kemper.

As fa as amps it is may be less of a problem. The Victory amp Company in UK is already offering Captures of their amps in Kemper format.

Kemper profiler is in the market for a long time, Quad Cortex is there also. However I do not think this technology is really a competitor to other guitar modeling software developers. Most software users own many softwares. In the end they use what they think is the best for them.

TONEX is an other story. It will mostly compete the hardware SMALL PEDAL that offers Amp in a box type of sound.Pedals that are sold to musician already having their pedalboard with their preferred pre and post effects. Or even a user like me that do not have a laptop and would like to bring my S Gear presets with a mini pedalboard when I travel etc...
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone King
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds