TOPIC: Destop type interface- a new trend?

Destop type interface- a new trend? 2 weeks 3 days ago #22522

Hey there,
I hope this is the right topic to share my annoyance. :)
So I am on the market for a new interface and I just realized that all of the ones that interest me are destop types.
Now I don't have too much space on my desk and I also like versitility, when it comes to tucking away stuff.
Here are my my thoughts ( T stands for traditional interface, D stands for desktop type):
1. T can also be used on the top of the desk. You can put things on top like the monitor or whatever. With D you don't have that second option.
2. T can be put underneath your desk (my old Saffire happily sits in my keyboard drawer) and I can easily see the meters, touch the knobs. With D you cannot do that.
3. When on top of the desk, you will have cables coming out of the front and back in both cases, exept with D you will still need that extra free spot without anything on top of it.
4. When you move away from your desk, e.g. recording guitar and don't want that loud noise where guitar electronics are interacting with you computer, so probably cannot see any of the meters on D.

Eventhough those fancy pictures of completely minimalistic home studios with desktop interfaces look great, I don't think it is the most practical option and I hope that there will be some companies NOT following this trend, or at least put out some more traditional looking stuff on the market.

So I would be interested in your opinion on this. What type of interface are you using and how do you manage your desk? Some pictures would be nice to see as well.
Please note that this is not about which interface is better. Rather about practicality.

Cheers
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike, kierank
  • tanarur
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Destop type interface- a new trend? 2 weeks 2 days ago #22525

Can we add “F” for floor types? 😉
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Destop type interface- a new trend? 2 weeks 2 days ago #22528

Take a look at the Apogee ELEMENT
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone King
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Destop type interface- a new trend? 2 weeks 1 day ago #22534

Yep... but then there's no more room for my feet under the desk. :)
  • tanarur
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Destop type interface- a new trend? 2 weeks 1 day ago #22535

tanarur wrote:

Yep... but then there's no more room for my feet under the desk. :)
I meant this for the F types of course
  • tanarur
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Destop type interface- a new trend? 1 week 3 days ago #22554

You asked for a picture. Here is my desk. Not a lot of things. Just what I need. :-)
Attachments:
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone King
Last edit: 1 week 3 days ago by fatherjacques.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Destop type interface- a new trend? 1 week 2 days ago #22556

What's wrong with your Saffire? I have 2 Saffire Pro 40s daisy chained using Firewire into OWS Thunderbolt 3 dock into a MacBook Pro running Big Sur. It works great with the latest Logic Pro X.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Destop type interface- a new trend? 1 week 22 hours ago #22558

jamsden wrote:

What's wrong with your Saffire? I have 2 Saffire Pro 40s daisy chained using Firewire into OWS Thunderbolt 3 dock into a MacBook Pro running Big Sur. It works great with the latest Logic Pro X.
You are right. There is nothing wrong with my Saffire. maybe the only problem I have is that I don't have a Mac. I do have a PC though, which I bought years ago and it has a FW400 port. It was a happy accident, that my Saffire runs perfectly with that PC. It is just way too big and also getting quite old.)the PC I mean)
I also have a Dell M3800 Laptop, but it doesn't have the right port for the Saffire. It runs with my also very old Mbox3, which I love, but it has been giving me some weird popping noises lately. It cannot be the laptop I think. It should be the Mbox driver, which seem to have been abandoned by Avid. Still compatible with Win10 though. A few months ago I bought an Apogee One for Mac, which runs with Win10 as well. But man, it has some bad bad drivers for Win10. When in the middle of a session, for no obvious reason it starts producing that annoying sound that you can ususally get, when for example chosing the wrong sample rate IR's in S-Gear. Then I have to open the Apogee Maestro control panel and click the "Safe mode" button on-off. Sometimes it doesn't help either. Then I have to close my DAW and reopen.

Anyway, as you can see I am not short in audio interfaces. :) Still, I started looking for something new and ditch all the old ones. That's when I started looking and realized, that all the interfaces I liked are in the desktop format. And I simply don't find it practical, as described in my original post.
  • tanarur
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Destop type interface- a new trend? 1 week 22 hours ago #22559

fatherjacques wrote:

You asked for a picture. Here is my desk. Not a lot of things. Just what I need. :-)

Now that is a very great looking desk. May I ask what the specs are on the Imac? Just watched some videos on why older (2009, or 2012,2013) Imacs are a great value.
  • tanarur
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Destop type interface- a new trend? 1 week 13 hours ago #22562

This MAC is the New one. I also need it for work.

However I had a 2009 and 2012 for a long time and never had any problems with either one.I had them for over 7 years I think. So if you take into account the number of years without problems a MAC is not expensive. In the same period I had to upgrade or change most of the PC at work...

You could run S Gear on a basic MAC mini.
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone King
Last edit: 1 week 13 hours ago by fatherjacques.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.590 seconds