TOPIC: Has anybody compared S-Gear with the Strymon Iridium?

Has anybody compared S-Gear with the Strymon Iridium? 8 months 4 weeks ago #22462

I love S-Gear for its fender cleans.

I'm looking for a standalone amp sim in a box so I can take the computer out of the equation for jamming/practice, and for recording. The Strymon Iridium looks like one of my better options, but I want to know if it can stand up to S-Gear.

I haven't tried a ton of amp sims but I've tried everything that comes with Logic Pro, a couple amplitube amps, and a couple of the UAD amps, and I prefer S-Gear by far.

Can Iridium get me an equally good cleanish Fender tone? How does it compare with S-Gear?

Thanks!
  • nugsquasher
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Has anybody compared S-Gear with the Strymon Iridium? 8 months 3 weeks ago #22467

I have an Iridium. It's a solid box. The demo vids I've seen have been perfectly indicative of the sound you can expect (since it's straight-ahead without a slew of add'l options to alter the sound). I'd trust it to cover your clean Fender tones.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nugsquasher
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Has anybody compared S-Gear with the Strymon Iridium? 8 months 2 weeks ago #22506

You can get a great Fender clean from the "round" amp in the Iridium. If doing a compare with S-Gear's Fender '57 tones the Iridium is better in my opinion, partly because you have a mid-range control on the Iridium which can do more tone shaping. Consider:

- the Iriidium costs 4X as much as S-Gear (assuming you bought S-Gear on sale for $99). Big difference!
- the Iridium is plug and play, no computer required. Play through an interface, speakers, or headphones.
- the Iridium has no perceivable latency. S-Gear will depend on your computer, DAW/host, and interface
- the Iridium takes pre-pedals better (IMO).
- the S-Gear has more effects built-in (Iridium only has some usable room reverb).
- S-Gear may get you into heavier tones than the Iridium due to its amp selection, while the Iridium will give you convincing Fender, AC30, and Marshall tones.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nugsquasher
  • soundog
  • Tone Master
www.johnplainsong.com
Newest album "Strange Tales" now available! S-Gear used throughout the production.
Last edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by soundog.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Has anybody compared S-Gear with the Strymon Iridium? 8 months 2 weeks ago #22508

But S-Gear has a couple of additional advantages: easy re-amping in a DAW, and the ability to produce S-Gear sounds. That is, S-Gear is not an amp modeler trying to replicate other amps. It a digital guitar amp with its own sounds.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Has anybody compared S-Gear with the Strymon Iridium? 8 months 2 weeks ago #22516

Software recall is a big advantage. It's the one thing I dislike most about analog amps. I often need to reopen old sessions and make tweaks and notating pedals and amps is not my idea of a good time.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Has anybody compared S-Gear with the Strymon Iridium? 8 months 2 weeks ago #22517

Hi elambo,
this might help with recalling the settings of any analog gear. You could take pictures and recall them within this effect plugin and even add notes.
Useful. And it‘s free :)

non-lethal-applications.com/products/snapshot
The following user(s) said Thank You: elambo
Last edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by olivieri.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Has anybody compared S-Gear with the Strymon Iridium? 8 months 1 week ago #22521

olivieri wrote:

Hi elambo,
this might help with recalling the settings of any analog gear. You could take pictures and recall them within this effect plugin and even add notes.
Useful. And it‘s free :)

non-lethal-applications.com/products/snapshot

I like this! Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: olivieri
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Has anybody compared S-Gear with the Strymon Iridium? 6 months 5 days ago #22710

Bump!

Has anyone who has both Iridium and S-Gear managed to make a good comparison side by side? I'm mainly interested in the possibility of live use and the better integration with my outboard effects, since I have no way of inserting my Delay, modulation and pitch effects post-S-gear.
  • BrunoMariano
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Has anybody compared S-Gear with the Strymon Iridium? 6 months 4 days ago #22711

I have owned an Iridium. I bought out of curiosity.

Like any other Strymon products it is a high quality product. Depending of your style it should do the job. The cleans are good and it takes pedals very well. If you have pedals in front and after it will work well.

I was not very impressed with their Marshall sound however. May be I am used to S Gear as a Benchmark when it comes to Marshall tones...and everything else.

Delay, Reverbs and modulations effects are very good in S Gear.

I sold all my amps and hardware modeler in the last 6 months. I play exclusively home and always preferred S Gear so I told myself why bother with the others :rock out:
The following user(s) said Thank You: erik
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone King
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Has anybody compared S-Gear with the Strymon Iridium? 6 months 3 days ago #22712

I bought the Iridium out of curiosity also. I ended up selling it. Yes, the amp sims are really good (especially on the Vox and Fender), its really a one trick pony. If I was gigging live more these days and wanted an amp replacement, it would still be up for consideration. But I'm mainly doing home studio stuff these days, so have everything covered between S-Gear, Helix Native, and Neural DSP amp sims.

I did lengthy comparisons between S-Gear, Helix Native, and the Iridium and was able to get tones I like as much or better from the software sims. A lot of it came down to gain structure; when that was set up properly, it was a close race.
  • soundog
  • Tone Master
www.johnplainsong.com
Newest album "Strange Tales" now available! S-Gear used throughout the production.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds