TOPIC: Modeling amps

Modeling amps 1 week 6 days ago #20503

I'm curious what are your favorite (physical) modeling amps? Particularly interested in Mike's opinion. Excluding 1000.00+ modelers etc.
  • Dallon426
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 1 week 6 days ago by Dallon426.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Modeling amps 1 week 6 days ago #20504

This site has extensive and thoughtful amp sim reviews (and its where I initially decided to buy S-Gear:

honestampsimreviews.com

BTW, the reviewer really like S-Gear and give his rundown for each included amp. He concludes that S-Gear is "a complete masterpiece from all sides and it’s a seriously fun amp sim to use. S-Gear is a seriously great value and if you are a fan of music and styles that call for a warmer more vintage approach, this plugin must be yours."
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." - Jack Handey
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Modeling amps 1 week 6 days ago #20506

Sorry I meant physical.
  • Dallon426
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Modeling amps 1 week 5 days ago #20512

Dallon426 wrote:

I'm curious what are your favorite (physical) modeling amps? Particularly interested in Mike's opinion. Excluding 1000.00+ modelers etc.

I don't think I have enough hands-on time time with all the products to offer an opinion. I'm a big fan of the Line6 product engineering expertise and would definitely put HXStomp on my shortlist if I were shopping for a lower cost modeller.
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Modeling amps 1 week 5 days ago #20513

I tried a Boss Katana not long ago ant it was better than all I had seen before, the Marshall Code line is also decent.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Modeling amps 1 week 5 days ago #20515

I think I would go with Line 6 HX Stomp. However I do not have anymore any hardware modelers.

I will probably buy the Strymon Iridium and try it. At 64 trying is becoming my Hobby LOL!
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Modeling amps 1 week 5 days ago #20518

"Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm 64...bom bom." Haha. Peace be with you Father J.

I also like the Line 6 software. I think they nailed most aspects of tube amps quite well, The effects and amp tweak options are awesome. The Boss Katana, Blackstar, and Peavey stuff is analog preamp/amp modeling. Great stuff if you like the offered models, and analog modeling doesn't suffer from high freq aliasing (which isn't generally audible with 4x or higher oversampling anyway).
The following user(s) said Thank You: fatherjacques
  • GCKelloch
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Modeling amps 1 week 3 days ago #20520

Hey there, Dallon...

Are looking for a self contained modelling amp in either head/cab or combo configuration or modelling hardware like Helix, POD HD500X, etc that you use separately?
  • cojoguitar
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Modeling amps 1 week 3 days ago #20522

The HX Stomp is really great. I bought one so I don't need to turn the computer on every time I want to play with headphones.
I think it does a good job: sounds and feels great, can load external IRs, the FX are a plus and it doubles as an audio interface that is awesome to record with zero latency.
With S-Gear and the HX Stomp I don't feel I need anything else on the digital realm.
I consider myself a tube amp guy and both S-Gear and the HX Stomp really impressed me.
  • SergioAureo
  • Tone Star
Last edit: 1 week 3 days ago by SergioAureo.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Modeling amps 1 week 2 days ago #20523

For modeling "live/physical" use, The Atomic Amplifire 12 into Quilter Mach head/(2x12 Celestion Cab)
It isn't an audio interface, but sounds great for recording also.
Still use SGear for recording, from time to time. Great stuff!
A couple years ago I tried to setup SGear for "live" use, but went the Atomic route.
The Atomic takes external pedals well.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds