TOPIC: Guitar DI/buffer to audio interface

Guitar DI/buffer to audio interface 6 months 2 weeks ago #19583

I experimented with DI boxes in front of my Focusrite, and found I got a much better tone using one with my EMG equipped guitars. I didn't notice any difference with passive pups. I have an AXE I/O interface now and no longer use the DI box as there's built in padding for active pickups.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Guitar DI/buffer to audio interface 6 months 2 weeks ago #19584

I just purchased a sunday lehle after the good words of other users with sgear. I'll use it in front of my apogee duet, entrance to Ins. when it is in my hands and I have tried it, I will manifest my impressions. with desire ...
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Guitar DI/buffer to audio interface 6 months 2 weeks ago #19585

Jordi wrote:

I just purchased a sunday lehle after the good words of other users with sgear. I'll use it in front of my apogee duet, entrance to Ins. when it is in my hands and I have tried it, I will manifest my impressions. with desire ...

The Duets have a relatively high impedance out of the box so you may not notice as much of a difference as others have. I'm still curious to know what impressions you manifest. :thumbs up:
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Guitar DI/buffer to audio interface 6 months 2 weeks ago #19586

AJB1965 wrote:

I experimented with DI boxes in front of my Focusrite, and found I got a much better tone using one with my EMG equipped guitars. I didn't notice any difference with passive pups. I have an AXE I/O interface now and no longer use the DI box as there's built in padding for active pickups.

How's AXE I/O?
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Guitar DI/buffer to audio interface 6 months 2 weeks ago #19587

mingury wrote:

AJB1965 wrote:

How's AXE I/O?

It's really nice and has some thoughtful sound and convenience features guitarists will appreciate. The Z-Tone does indeed affect the sound, but I can't really hear a difference changing the Pure/JFET selector. It might just be too subtle for my old ears. Reamping is pretty straightforward as well. Not something I will ever use, but I tested it to help someone out on another forum to explain how the box did it. No issues at all with the drivers. I run Win 10 Pro and they have been rock solid with very acceptable latency. There have been a couple of small updates already and from what I'm told IK wrote them in-house.

The biggest drawback is the cost. It would be nice if they offered a standalone version without Amplitube bundled to reduce the price, but I doubt that would ever happen. I've never been a fan of that sim.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mingury
Last edit: 6 months 2 weeks ago by AJB1965.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Guitar DI/buffer to audio interface 6 months 2 weeks ago #19589

AJB1965 wrote:

I've never been a fan of that sim.
It's not bad at all once you get the hang of it. Having said that, it's no S-Gear, but in my case, the FREE version provides everything I need to play live that S-Gear doesn't have, and considering the price, I have no complants! ;)
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Guitar DI/buffer to audio interface 6 months 2 weeks ago #19590

LtKojak wrote:

AJB1965 wrote:

I've never been a fan of that sim.
It's not bad at all once you get the hang of it. Having said that, it's no S-Gear, but in my case, the FREE version provides everything I need to play live that S-Gear doesn't have, and considering the price, I have no complants! ;)

Free is always good!! I've used custom shop on a couple of tracks but I haven't really delved into the Deluxe version. I'm sure it's decent or it wouldn't be so prevalent out there, but admittedly I haven't spent enough time with it to determine how it would work for me.
Last edit: 6 months 2 weeks ago by AJB1965.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Guitar DI/buffer to audio interface 6 months 1 day ago #19656

Well after a few days of testing my new leshle I can confirm that my sound improves with this piece of gear in front of my apogee duet. I can not argue what he does, the only thing I know is that he improves my sound in blind tests. and the truth is that I do not need to know, I prefer what he does. happy with this discovery thanks to these foreros of this wonderful forum and great guitar program.

Health
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Guitar DI/buffer to audio interface 6 months 1 day ago #19657

That's good news, Jordi.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Guitar DI/buffer to audio interface 6 months 13 hours ago #19661

Yes elambo, is a good complement for my gibson and for my apogee and s-ge@r2 and 3. Jejeje
Last edit: 6 months 13 hours ago by Jordi.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Guitar DI/buffer to audio interface 5 months 2 weeks ago #19700

just posting an A/B comparison with Lehle SD against going straight in to the Hi-Z would get rid of all of the confusion
Its a shame noone had done that in 7 years its being discussed here.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Guitar DI/buffer to audio interface 5 months 2 weeks ago #19701

Not to an interface but it gives a good idea.

Start at 5 minutes to skip the talking:

The following user(s) said Thank You: massan
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Guitar DI/buffer to audio interface 5 months 2 weeks ago #19702

Yes I watched that
It definitely sounds more interesting with Lehle here, but there's too many moving parts in the test
There shouldnt be THAT much of a difference in Lehle / Hi-Z comparison I'm pretty sure?
a touch more highend maybe, but this is way too drastic

I find it hard to believe noone on the forum ever made some kind of a comparison, just to make sure they really need that pedal in the chain.
there's a lot of vague descriptive terms around the forum but literally not a single demo, having in mind that 90% of people around here are recording enthusiasts.
Last edit: 5 months 2 weeks ago by massan.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Guitar DI/buffer to audio interface 5 months 2 weeks ago #19703

May be we are too lazy :)

I have the regular Sunday Driver and I use it also as a clean boost (Between 10 and 12 O'clock) on the Stealer. If I use it in Sunday mode it is definitively drastic so I roll-off the tone a little bit.

If I play with a backing track I always use the Sunday mode because it cout through the mix better.

Buy one use at a good price and if you do not like it just sell i back. I am pretty sure you won't sell it back.
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Guitar DI/buffer to audio interface 5 months 2 weeks ago #19704

I've considered posting A/Bs, but the demos would be semi-pointless because the effect of the SD depends upon the individual components used in the chain, and as nearly all of us are using different components no demo would illustrate what any other person would hear in their configuration.

Most stores allow returns, which is why we've been suggesting to try one but hang onto the receipt. I'd certainly not buy one that I was stuck with because there's a chance that the SD wouldn't earn a long-term spot on your pedalboard.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Guitar DI/buffer to audio interface 5 months 2 weeks ago #19705

elambo wrote:

I've considered posting A/Bs, but the demos would be semi-pointless because the effect of the SD depends upon the individual components used in the chain, and as nearly all of us are using different components no demo would illustrate what any other person would hear in their configuration.
well its interface hi-z or lehle SD, I think if it does anything "magical" it should be obvious(like in the video fatherjacques posted earlier).

I'm sure theres a couple of people here like me who own RME (470k).
And I saw some people who use focusrite(1mOhm) still enjoy their SDs, even though on paper there shouldnt be a noticeable difference.

I was trying sansamp's active bypass(1mOhm) yesterday and it did nothing to the sound.
That's why I'm worried there's a possibility the same thing can happen with SD
elambo wrote:

Most stores allow returns, which is why we've been suggesting to try one but hang onto the receipt. I'd certainly not buy one that I was stuck with because there's a chance that the SD wouldn't earn a long-term spot on your pedalboard.
Yeah. the only way I can order it here in Mother Russia is from a guy who sometimes goes to Finland(thomann), and there won't be a chance to return it.

So yeah I think if there's anything to it, there should be an easy way to capture the benefits via A/B test.
Especially on a pristine DI signal - it should be dead obvious.
Thats my train of thought
Last edit: 5 months 2 weeks ago by massan.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Guitar DI/buffer to audio interface 5 months 2 weeks ago #19706

fatherjacques wrote:

May be we are too lazy :)

I have the regular Sunday Driver and I use it also as a clean boost (Between 10 and 12 O'clock) on the Stealer. If I use it in Sunday mode it is definitively drastic so I roll-off the tone a little bit.

If I play with a backing track I always use the Sunday mode because it cout through the mix better.

there you go
what interface are you using?
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Guitar DI/buffer to audio interface 5 months 2 weeks ago #19708

My set-up is simple.

Guitar to SD to Apogee Element.
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Guitar DI/buffer to audio interface 5 months 2 weeks ago #19710

If you're not married to getting a pedal, you could try Soundtoys' Radiator (the "Boost In" preset).
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Guitar DI/buffer to audio interface 5 months 2 weeks ago #19711

I have Soundtoys. I will try it. Never thought about it.
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds