TOPIC: Get straocaster sound with SG / Les Paul?

Get straocaster sound with SG / Les Paul? 1 month 4 days ago #19515

Hello. :)

I would like to know if some of you have Eq tips to get stratocaster sound trough SG or Les Paul.

I found this on Youtube :

I only have an SG standard for electric guitar, and i will be so happy to get these type of sound through it to play Clapton, Jimi Hendrix or David Gilmour songs.

Thank's in advance.
Last edit: 1 month 4 days ago by Thony.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Get straocaster sound with SG / Les Paul? 1 month 4 days ago #19516

I think you really need the single coil pickups - especially in the "out of phase" switch positions ;)
  • jbraner
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Get straocaster sound with SG / Les Paul? 1 month 4 days ago #19517

That's a great cover of Voodoo Child on that video. Remember that some Les Pauls allow you to pull, the volume pot and split the bridge pickup to a single coil. That may be what that guitarist has on his guitar which would explain the more Strat like tone. Depending on what you want to do, you could retrofit your guitar with a pickup like that.

I also remember this article from Craig Anderton that may help you get that sound.

blog.presonus.com/index.php/2018/11/09/f...-coil-conversion-eq/
Various Gibson, Fender, Epiphone and Cort guitars
Scuffham S-Gear
PreSonus Studio One Professional 4.1.1

Check out my website http://www.daniel-lesaux.com
Last edit: 1 month 4 days ago by dlsmusic. Reason: Added an article link.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Get straocaster sound with SG / Les Paul? 1 month 3 days ago #19520

Thank’s for your answers.

I love my SG like this with 490R/498T. I don’t want to change pickups, that’s why I would like to find a « trick ».

On the video, the guy said in a comment he use full Humbucker. He didn’t use coil split at all.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Get straocaster sound with SG / Les Paul? 1 month 3 days ago #19522

Thony wrote:

I love my SG like this with 490R/498T. I don’t want to change pickups, that’s why I would like to find a « trick ».

Was the Craig Anderton article on how to EQ for single coil sound helpful at all? I believe that was part of your original question.
Scuffham S-Gear

SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Get straocaster sound with SG / Les Paul? 1 month 3 days ago #19524

Yes thank you. I will try to replicate this eq curve this evening after the work. I will take a default eq in GarageBand.

Ps : Do you know which software they use in this article for the eq?
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Get straocaster sound with SG / Les Paul? 1 month 2 days ago #19529

Thony wrote:

Yes thank you. I will try to replicate this eq curve this evening after the work. I will take a default eq in GarageBand.

Ps : Do you know which software they use in this article for the eq?
This article comes from the PreSonus Studio One website which is the DAW that I use. Great software!
Scuffham S-Gear

SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Get straocaster sound with SG / Les Paul? 3 weeks 6 days ago #19546

I read the article, and while I deeply admire Anderton, I've never found an EQ curve to really give you the strat tone. I have a Schecter C-1 Classic humbucker that comes stock with 2 single coil/phase positions. Those sounded a little closer to a strat, but still not even close. I replaced the tone pot with a tone pot/push pull switch, and split the coils. It's a really easy change, took me about 30 minutes. Huge change... I can get pretty good strat tones all day long, and when listening to recordings it's tough to tell them apart, especially on bridge or neck position... middle, not so much. Then again, there's so much that creates that Strat sound, particularly the tremelo bridge and springs, and the body itself. If I want true Strat tones, like for blues or whatever, nothing beats a an actual Strat. Save your money and add to your arsenal!
  • gearhead001
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 3 weeks 6 days ago by gearhead001.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Get straocaster sound with SG / Les Paul? 3 weeks 5 days ago #19557

Hello, it's me again.

So i try the tips from Presonus with one of my Eq. I must said i'm pretty impress by the result.
Here are two short record i made for you. One with and one without EQ, all settings are the same (Default preset 50 on S-Gear. It's the Custom 57 without any modification).

The neck pickup (490R) is used with volume and tone on 10 on both record.

What do you think about it? For me it's mission complete ^^
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 weeks 5 days ago by Thony.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Get straocaster sound with SG / Les Paul? 2 weeks 6 days ago #19592

I listened to your clips, but I don't think it sounds like a strat to my ears.

So far, the only device that really does what you ask is this, although is quite pricey!: Sim1

And I am with you... I absolutely love my 68' SG Special and wish I could use it for all my solidbody stuff, but it's pretty difficult to achieve that. I don't get along that well with Fender guitars, but the neck pickup on a Strat and the bridge pickup of a Tele are way too good to dismiss. I have tried using Parametric EQ and also using IR's from 3SigmaAudio, which were specifically developed for this purpose ( www.3sigmaaudio.com/electric-impulses/ ). I don't think neither really worked, but the Parametric EQ got me closer to a strat sound, but it's not the same response, specially when you hit hard the 3rd string on the 12th fret of a strat... there is something there that just cannot be replicated on a Gibson or other guitar.
  • asintoras
  • Tone Master
My instrumental EP: doctor7.bandcamp.com/album/political-rollercoaster
My other EP with songs: doctor7.bandcamp.com/album/three-ways-of-telling-a-story
I am an artist endorsed by Kinman pickups.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Get straocaster sound with SG / Les Paul? 2 weeks 1 day ago #19601

Hello!
Thanks’s for your answers.

I agree that the sound will never be as good as a real stratocaster. In my spirit, I just want to create the confusion, have something which sound a bit like when I cover some song.

I remember that Revalver 4 have a module to get single coin sound from anything else. I found it pretty bad the last time I try it but I should try again.

I didn’t know there was impulse response to simulate single coil. I’ve learnt something.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Get straocaster sound with SG / Les Paul? 2 weeks 1 day ago #19602

No way to achieve this properly, the scales of an SG and a Strat differ too much. Maybe a virtualized guitar like a Line 6 Variax could do the job.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Get straocaster sound with SG / Les Paul? 5 days 2 hours ago #19654

With that being said, still there are things that help. In my case, I use a treble booster to make my SG (actually a pretty dark/warm sounding guitar) sound like a Telecaster:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BuyoeLUl2mh/
  • asintoras
  • Tone Master
My instrumental EP: doctor7.bandcamp.com/album/political-rollercoaster
My other EP with songs: doctor7.bandcamp.com/album/three-ways-of-telling-a-story
I am an artist endorsed by Kinman pickups.
Last edit: 5 days 2 hours ago by asintoras.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Get straocaster sound with SG / Les Paul? 3 days 4 hours ago #19667

Blue Cat Audio (who do some really nice VSTs including the Destructor/Axiom amp sims) just announced a new plugin called Re-Guitar. It claims to be able to tranform sound from one guitar/pickup type to another. In their videos is sounds pretty good (at least to me). They also have a demo if you want to try it out.

www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_ReGuitar/

The following user(s) said Thank You: Thony
Last edit: 3 days 3 hours ago by klinge.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Get straocaster sound with SG / Les Paul? 2 days 17 hours ago #19670

Hello.
Thank you for your anwser. =)

I'm gonna try the blue cat audio demo right now. I will buy it if it worth it.
Thank's a lot!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Get straocaster sound with SG / Les Paul? 1 day 4 hours ago #19673

A BOSS Gp-10 with a gk3 kit will do the trick..Its Vguitar with amazing guitar models
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Get straocaster sound with SG / Les Paul? 4 hours 33 minutes ago #19675

I tried the Blue Cat Audio Re Guitar plug-in and it did not convinced me at all. I found it doesn’t sound good at all, nothing like their demo on YouTube. I still prefer by 200% my humble eq curve, adjusting treble with the tone pots on my SG.

So, I’m keep searching something more efficient. I must re-try revalver 4. I should try the Electro-Harmonix Knock out too.
Last edit: 4 hours 31 minutes ago by Thony.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Get straocaster sound with SG / Les Paul? 2 hours 25 minutes ago #19677

Or just get a strat ;)
  • jbraner
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds