TOPIC: S-Gear and macOS 11 (BigSur)

S-Gear and macOS 11 (BigSur) 2 months 2 weeks ago #22087

Hi Folks,

Today we released S-Gear v2.9.8 for macOS which includes a fix for Standalone App window resizing when running on the upcoming macOS 11.0 (BigSur). If you are planning on updating a mac system to BigSur then you will need to install S-Gear v2.9.8.

Initial testing of S-Gear on BigSur (Beta 6) looks good, the Standalone App and plug-ins under Logic and Garage Band work as expected. Of course macOS 11.0 is still in Beta and our testing has been very limited.

As always, it is recommended to disable automatic updates on your mac. Hold off from updating your system until you know that all of your mission critical software is compatible and working correctly.

*** Note that S-Gear does not yet support Apple Silicon (M1 chip). Only intel based computers. ***

Updated 25th November 2020:
The current intel build of S-Gear will run on an M1 Mac under the Rosetta translator as Standalone App and AudioUnit. However, it is not possible to provide full support until we have a native Apple Silicon build. The estimated timescale for S-Gear Apple Silicon build is Q2 2021, of course this may be subject to change. Unfortunately we did not have access to an Apple transition kit earlier this year, due to Apple policy of only supplying developers in countries which have an AppStore. Nevertheless, we have just received a new M1 Mac Mini so we can now begin this work.

Cheers,
Mike
The following user(s) said Thank You: mohi, rcjp, mattias
  • mike
  • Administrator
Last edit: 1 week 1 day ago by mike.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear and macOS 11 (BigSur) 2 months 2 weeks ago #22089

Thank you for the heads-up Mike! I am already gearing up to make the switch to Windows. Apple has made it VERY difficult, to keep up with all of their changes.

I have a 2012 MAC MINI, that is very likely to reach support End of Life soon. I am not willing to pay a king's ransom, for a machine that I am unable to upgrade, when needed or wanted. And the cost of a MINI (or other Apple machine,) that has decent Studio requirement specs, is prohibitive.

Fortunately, I am just a hobbyist, not a professional, so my livelihood is not dependent of my studio work. I will miss Logic, but I blame Apple's greed for that! C'est la vie!!

Everyone...please don't slam me because I have an "old" computer. I know it is aging...just like me!!! :P

Have a great weekend, y'all!!

t_b_o_t
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike
  • the_bear_over_there
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear and macOS 11 (BigSur) 2 months 2 weeks ago #22091

Thanks! I just moved to Mac and I am loving the experience, great to know that it is ready to support Big Sur anticipatedhy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear and macOS 11 (BigSur) 2 months 2 weeks ago #22093

t_b_o_t, I know exactly how you feel. We have a 2013 iMac (very highly spec'd) which was my main development machine until last year. It will not accept BigSur. The only consolation is that Apple have a very efficient recycling process if you trade-in an old machine.
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear and macOS 11 (BigSur) 2 months 2 weeks ago #22097

I have a 4 months old MacBook Pro and already think is outdated, knowing they leave Intel :s
The following user(s) said Thank You: hoss
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear and macOS 11 (BigSur) 2 months 2 weeks ago #22098

mohi wrote:

I have a 4 months old MacBook Pro and already think is outdated, knowing they leave Intel :s

You should be fine for a couple more weeks.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear and macOS 11 (BigSur) 2 months 2 weeks ago #22100

thanks, it is relieving :p
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear and macOS 11 (BigSur) 3 weeks 1 day ago #22281

Hi, I am still on S-Gear 2.71 and I can confirm the Plugin still works on Big Sur (the standalone App worked on Mac OS X Catalina but not on Mac OS 11).
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear and macOS 11 (BigSur) 2 weeks 6 days ago #22290

Pretty straightforward this time and can confirm all runs well with Logic and Cubase 11 too.
This is using v2.9.8
Cubase has had a major authorisation issue this week, so be patient if you are upgrading....
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear and macOS 11 (BigSur) 1 week 2 days ago #22352

Any idea on when you will compile for Apple Silicon?
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear and macOS 11 (BigSur) 1 week 1 day ago #22366

Hskr8 wrote:

Any idea on when you will compile for Apple Silicon?

I have added a note about this to the original post.

Having now tested S-Gear (intel build) on an entry level M1 Mac Mini, I can say that both Standalone App and AudioUnit (in Logic) run surprisingly well under the Apple Rosetta2 translator. In Logic I was able to run 6-8 tracks of S-Gear with no apparent problems. This suggests that Rosetta works very well and that the 8 Core M1 chip is impressive. I have not tried any other DAW's or plug-in formats.

Mike
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hskr8
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear and macOS 11 (BigSur) 1 week 1 day ago #22370

@mike - thank you for providing your initial observations using the M1 Mac Mini and Logic.
M1 native will be nice but it it runs with Rosetta2 the that is fine with me.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear and macOS 11 (BigSur) 1 week 1 day ago #22371

jmonnett wrote:

@mike - thank you for providing your initial observations using the M1 Mac Mini and Logic.
M1 native will be nice but it it runs with Rosetta2 the that is fine with me.

Yes, the initial tests are a nice surprise. Good news for early adopters. Do keep in mind though that I do not know whether other plug-in formats will work as yet, and similarly whether the AU will work in other DAWs. It is early days!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hskr8
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds