TOPIC: S-GEAR v2.60 is now available

S-GEAR v2.60 is now available 2 years 8 months ago #14998

Hi everyone,

S-GEAR v2.60 is now available for download . Please remember to install the correct version for your licensing scheme (machine-locked or iLOK).

This free update includes two new cabinet models, both based on Vintage AC30 combos with original Alnico Blue speakers. To access the new models, open the convolver cab selection drop down and you will find the new cabs at the bottom of the list:

The SA30F refers to our '62 Fawn combo and the SA30B refers to our '63 Black combo. The cabinets themselves are almost identical, it's the individual drivers that sound different.

In the process of capturing these cabinets, I did a lot of test measurements on all four speakers and chose the best two to include in S-GEAR. The SA30F has a slightly brighter sound with a pleasing attack. The SA30B is richer and more punchy. Try both and find what works best in your song or with your particular guitar and pickup selection.

Also note that the mic positions for these cabs are tailored to the particular microphone options. You can see the 'Axis' and 'Distance' parameters as you adjust the mic position. This way we have finer adjustment in the regions where each mic works best.

The new cabs were measured in our studio where we've carefully acoustically treated the space using a mixture of diffusers and absorbers along with bass traps to minimise low frequency room resonances. The result is a very nice space for listening to guitar amps, especially when playing at higher volumes. The resulting impulse measurements are free of any distinct early reflections, giving a more accurate frequency response and a precise sound.

Enjoy!
Mike
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zabukovec, fatherjacques, hkwijhe, cccs777, mr-es335, Chan, WestcoastAlex, a111, psklaroff, jamsden, LightWing, asintoras, HMohr, Teleman, DaveP 01, Nemyss
  • mike
  • Administrator
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by mike.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-GEAR v2.60 is now available 2 years 8 months ago #14999

Thanks Mike! :-)
  • psklaroff
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-GEAR v2.60 is now available 2 years 8 months ago #15002

Only 187MB?

Mike, your coding skills are outstanding.

Keep up the good work!

Yours very truly,
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-GEAR v2.60 is now available 2 years 8 months ago #15004

They sound great. :thumbs up:
  • rose703
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-GEAR v2.60 is now available 2 years 8 months ago #15005

The new cabinet is fantastic !!
Each of the five amplifiers in conjunction with them gives excellent results.
Best in S-Gear is you do not have many hours of configuration, you can fully devote themselves to music.
Great job
Thanks Mike!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-GEAR v2.60 is now available 2 years 8 months ago #15007

Thanks for the update. :thumbs up:

Really great sounding cabinet models! (Let the endless tweaking begin!!!)

Keep up the good work.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-GEAR v2.60 is now available 2 years 8 months ago #15008

You 'da man Mike! Thanks! :rock out:

Patrick
  • LightWing
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-GEAR v2.60 is now available 2 years 8 months ago #15009

Congrats, Mike!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-GEAR v2.60 is now available 2 years 8 months ago #15010

Woohoo!!! Thanks MIke.
  • clintmartin
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-GEAR v2.60 is now available 2 years 8 months ago #15011

Nice additions, and sounds really good- Thanks!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-GEAR v2.60 is now available 2 years 8 months ago #15012

Thank you so much for the new cabinets - they seem to be nothing less than brilliant and are just what I've been looking for to get those sparkly cleans. Amazing job!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-GEAR v2.60 is now available 2 years 8 months ago #15013

Great!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-GEAR v2.60 is now available 2 years 8 months ago #15017

First: yay! new sounds to play with! Thank you, Mike! :good job:

Question: in the previous version(s), if I was in standalone mode and clicked on "i" in the upper right-hand corner, I got the "about S-Gear" popup and, IIRC, the sound from S-Gear was muted. Now, in 2.60, it is not muted.

But...

Maybe I don't care about that, because the only reason I needed to do that was because S-Gear wouldn't work as a plug-in in Garage Band (and MainStage?) unless I had a standalone copy of S-Gear running first, and now it appears that I don't need to start S-Gear first in order to use it in Garage Band and MainStage.

Is this all working as expected?
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-GEAR v2.60 is now available 2 years 8 months ago #15018

So glad this program exist's
thanks Mike!!
So I don't need to have this open before I start Garage band?
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-GEAR v2.60 is now available 2 years 8 months ago #15021

Happy new year to you Mike and thank you very much for this new update.

Since 2014 (when I bought S-Gear), I tried all the amp guitar simulators and I always come back on S-Gear. This really is the best one.
I use usually the Rosen digital IR but I will try the new IR Vox.

Still thank you and long life to S-Gear.

PS Mike, if you have other documentations to translate into French, I am at your disposal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-GEAR v2.60 is now available 2 years 8 months ago #15040

I always thought Celestion Blues sounded a bit too crisp, but the years must have loosened up the cones a good bit. The two IR's offer a nice option between more high end sparkle or fatness. 0.5" mic intervals allows much better phase-tuning in the ~5kHz "presence" range -- phasing affects becoming evident at ~1/4 wavelength. Bravo all around, Mike!
  • GCKelloch
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-GEAR v2.60 is now available 2 years 8 months ago #15046

Thanks for all the comments.

I had a lot of fun testing this release. I ended up playing a lot during testing because I was enjoying experimenting with the new cabs - especially with The Duke - it's a good combination.

You may have noticed there are no new factory presets. The reason for this is that I intend to extend the capacity of the factory presets in an up-coming release. Thereby we can provide some more factory presets without dropping any that are there currently. On this subject, Jerry Stevenson has been working on some new presets (Jerry produced many of the original S-GEAR presets).

Regarding Garage Band with the machine-locked version of S-GEAR - it is still necessary to run S-GEAR standalone prior to launching Garage Band. You can close down the standalone and Garage Band will continue to work with S-GEAR, however, I think it is necessary to leave it open. I also noticed that the audio is no longer muted on the 'About' screen. This came in around v2.56 and needs to be corrected.

Cheers,
Mike
The following user(s) said Thank You: ViTAR, mr-es335, Psace
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-GEAR v2.60 is now available 2 years 8 months ago #15052

The new cabinets are outstanding. At a first glance this seemed to be a very small update. But that's not the case. I'm really impressed. Thanks.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-GEAR v2.60 is now available 2 years 8 months ago #15076

Thanks Mike! I didn't want to update as I was in the middle of a project, I'm going to try it right now!! :feeling it:
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.367 seconds